Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
How to organize books ??

It seems to splat all my books in one huge list. this is annoying especially with the slow refresh rate (which is otherwise not an annoyance to me at all)

What I would like is to organize my stuff into a directory tree. IE a list of folders with subfolders and files inside.

SO I could pick "books" then "scifi" then the book I want or even a subfolder for types of scifi then the books I want.

is there anyway to do this ? I can imagine the interface getting "gruesome" if I were to put dozens or hundreds of book on it :-)

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Unfortunately the Reader doesn't sort books by directory or allow you to organize them easily.

The best way right now it to sort books into collections using the desktop software. All your books will still show up in the book list, but if you use the "collections" item on the menu you can get a facsimile of a folder structure.

It's on our wish list.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo
It's on our wish list.
In spades.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
The "collection" feature is a bit unreliable. I have already had the reader reset itself twice and lose all of its collection information as well as its remembered pages.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
Cogito
Reader
Cogito began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 500
Also, when I sort by author, it sorts by the authors FIRST name. What am I doing wrong? Can you imagine a library ordering it’s books by first name?
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogito
Also, when I sort by author, it sorts by the authors FIRST name. What am I doing wrong? Can you imagine a library ordering it’s books by first name?
Yes, because there's only one field for the author and they're writing "firstname lastname".
When we generated books on feedbooks.com we put the last name first which is much better on the reader.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:04 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Use EditLRFMeta or libprs500 to edit the metadata. The "reading" attributes are used for sorting, so if you set them to "Lastname, Firstname", you'll get the sorting by lastname.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But will those utilities work for DRM'd files?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Nope. But all Connect books I saw already have the reading filled properly, so they shouldn't be a problem.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Good point.