Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #16
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In my opinion if they don't come out with the new firmware, there won't be an improvement in sales. They need ADE on board the Gen3 to keep it a viable product.
I totally agree with you. We'll just have to see if the people at Bookeen share our view ...

About this "Mobi-exclusivity": The BeBook supports both (DRM?)prc and (DRM?)epub, which means it isn't obviously written in stone for a reading device to strictly keep prc as THE main format.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Which old/new devices are you referring to ?
With new devices I referred to the ones that starts to be sold on Friday and support ePub DRM instead of MobiPocket DRM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
With new devices I referred to the ones that starts to be sold on Friday and support ePub DRM instead of MobiPocket DRM.
Thanks.
I have read about it in the news thread. Couldn't it be a mistake, though, and the lack of mobi support just a misprint ? I have seen similar mistakes in the past, overrated announcements as well, and I have not seen anyone yet who has spoken with the german company besides having read the web announcement.
I know there is no easy answer, we shall see in a couple of days.
I am not so sure it is a good marketing move, the dropping of mobi; I can understand the reasons, just got a gut feeling it will not make the Bookeen market position any easier.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #19
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Couldn't it be a mistake, though, and the lack of mobi support just a misprint ?
Sure it could be a mistake, but i doubt it:
  1. Mobipocket is known to offer exclusive DRM-contracts (Mobi-DRM and forbidding the usage of any other DRM). If the new Cybooks will support DRMed ePubs they can most likely not use DRMed Mobipocket because Bookeen might not have got the required licence by Mobipocket.
  2. "Weltbild" (the publisher who will trade the new Cybooks first) is a german publishing house and there are rumors that the major german publishers agreed to use ePub as their prefered format.

Last edited by netseeker; 04-28-2009 at 05:13 PM.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Since MobiPocket DRM was not supported in the new device I do not think they will release a firmware update for old devices which support ePub. It will be to much work to explain to customers why their old books do not work.

Oh. I. See. IOW, we're just dumb bunnies who don't deserve support. Yep. Sure gonna make me want to make my NEXT e-reader a Cybook. Not!

(Of course, I can always buy a BeBook, install OpenInkpot, strip the DRM from my purchased Mobi ebooks and read them on the BeBook. )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
I totally agree with you. We'll just have to see if the people at Bookeen share our view ...

About this "Mobi-exclusivity": The BeBook supports both (DRM?)prc and (DRM?)epub, which means it isn't obviously written in stone for a reading device to strictly keep prc as THE main format.
Are you sure the BeBook supports both Mobipocket and ePub with DRM? I thought it was only Mobipocket that had DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
from what was linked, it also looks like it no longer supports Mobipocket in any form.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #23
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Are you sure the BeBook supports both Mobipocket and ePub with DRM? I thought it was only Mobipocket that had DRM.
That's why I used "(DRM?)" for both. I'm not sure myself.

But maybe we really have to face the possibility to choose in a few days between an old firmware supporting (DRM)prc and a new firmware supporting (DRM)epub.

All irony aside - I don't think this is an easy solution and I don't know if Bookeen did the right thing if they really go for this "either/or"-solution which simply cannot be satisfactory for any user.

Last edited by K-Thom; 04-28-2009 at 06:23 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #24
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I think Bookeen should shut down their blog. What little they post there is so ambiguous it just creates way too much speculation. It appears to me that they created a blog because it seemed like the thing to do, but by having one and never posting anything meaningful to it, it just really leaves them with a big black eye.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
That's why I used "(DRM?)" for both. I'm not sure myself.

But maybe we really have to face the possibility to choose in a few days between an old firmware supporting (DRM)prc and a new firmware supporting (DRM)epub.

All irony aside - I don't think this is an easy solution and I don't know if Bookeen did the right thing if they really go for this "either/or"-solution which simply cannot be satisfactory for any user.
It is Mobipocket's fault for the either or situation that Booken is in. And to be honest, Bookeen is doing what will eventually be the best solution.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #26
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
True, but they just tell about 2 companies/stores in France now are somewhat linked with Bookeen and are selling the unit...

Thanks for the translation ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I think Bookeen should shut down their blog. What little they post there is so ambiguous it just creates way too much speculation. It appears to me that they created a blog because it seemed like the thing to do, but by having one and never posting anything meaningful to it, it just really leaves them with a big black eye.
It is better than nothing, and they have replied to a few of the comments in the message area ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #27
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It is better than nothing, and they have replied to a few of the comments in the message area ....
In regards to Bookeen's blog, I think nothing is better than what they have there. Their blog is frustrating to read simply because it really provides no meaningful conversation or information. Any comments they post there just string people along.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #28
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I am a bit soured on Bookeen. I had one of the first from their first shipment of Gen3 in November, 2007. As I read posts on their blog and in various forums, what I saw was a lot of complaints from people trying to get customer service and getting no response. I had to return a unit myself and I went through a lot of work.

I felt that the unit was a bit flaky. It did not regularly recognize button presses and stuff. I was willing to put up with that because it was my only choice for e-ink at the time. E-ink was founded in 1997 and it took 10 years to see a broadly available commercial product. My memory is fuzzy that long ago, but I think I first read about e-ink when it was in the media lab at MIT -- this was well over a ten year wait. But there are now alternatives on the market.

Soon after I received my Cybook many of us were desperately waiting on new software to fix flakiness with the unit, and hoping for new features. It was the same cycle of promises and no delivery we are seeing today. Finally, the new software came out, and it had no new features. It did fix many, but not all of my bugs.

When I busted my screen (my clumsy hands-grin) I took the opportunity to buy something new. I have been much happier with the performance of my newer device. I press the button once to turn pages.

Bookeen's next gen device may be much better, but their customer service definitely leaves me disappointed. I am looking for an additional device for my son this year, but unless I see something significantly different in terms of support, I'll look for an alternative supplier.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:56 AM   #29
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
but unless I see something significantly different in terms of support, I'll look for an alternative supplier.
And weirdly enough, one of the reason i'm tempted to get a cybook as my reader is the support.
I exepted to spend about a few months without the reader when i sent it back to bookeen to change the screen, was acctually one week . And because the post screwed up a bit. (They went on strike)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:25 AM   #30
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post

When I busted my screen (my clumsy hands-grin) I took the opportunity to buy something new. I have been much happier with the performance of my newer device. I press the button once to turn pages.

You went from a Cybook to a Kindle !!!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote