Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #46
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
First hang on boot since installing the new upgrade firmware...
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #47
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
....I too had a hang-on-boot with this firmware. Happened last night. I'm also still getting missed page button responses as well.

So far from a Mobi perspective, no changes (good or bad) seen.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #48
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Strange I found it totally useless for my PDFs.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:04 AM   #49
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
So far so good for me. No freezes/hangs. Page turning is improved (no missed turns on button presses to go forward, no extra turns on going backwards).

I think that the hyphenation feature introduced in a previous upgrade is even more conservative than it was previously...though that may be a combination of my imagination and the content I'm currently reading.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 AM   #50
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
So far so good for me. No freezes/hangs. Page turning is improved (no missed turns on button presses to go forward, no extra turns on going backwards).

I think that the hyphenation feature introduced in a previous upgrade is even more conservative than it was previously...though that may be a combination of my imagination and the content I'm currently reading.
I can only second this. No freezes, page turning has improved and the one PDF I tried which didn't work on my older firmware works like a clock now (one of the free TOR e-books).

I even tried the Dutch language settings, but that looked so strange that I put it back to English this morning

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 09-08-2008 at 03:58 AM.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #51
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The upgrade went without any problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
I even tried the Dutch language settings, but that looked so strange that I put it back to English this morning
I tried that one to, They did manage to get a decent translation. It is a lot better than most do.

I really hate the word "flexibeleschijfaandrijfstation" in stead of "disk drive"
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:16 AM   #52
jinibiza
jinibiza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/iPad/Iphone
I'm confused. I have just bought a Cybook from Bookeen - it arrived last week. The Boo Reader version is 1.0 (build 681).

I have tried to upgrade to V1.2 by following the instructions on their blog.

Nothing happens when I press the centre nav button as instructed!

What can be the problem?

Best regards,

John Veale

PS Shouldn't the firmware have been V1.1 as I have just purchased this from Bookeen?
jinibiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 AM   #53
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinibiza View Post
I have tried to upgrade to V1.2 by following the instructions on their blog.

Nothing happens when I press the centre nav button as instructed!
How long did you hold the button? The website says a "few" seconds but for me it was closer to 20 or 30...
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:27 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Press the button as soon as the initial "splash screen" appears. KEEP it held in until the screen flashes white. You have unzipped the "update_kernel" file and put it in the root directory of the SD card?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:28 AM   #55
jinibiza

I held the button until the screen went from showing a picture of the Cybook against a dark background with Cybook Gen 3 in large print to a picture of a small Cybook with 3 dots against a lighter background - this is the normal startup - (around 30 seconds)
Old 09-08-2008, 03:30 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try again. It really does work.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #57
jinibiza

Yes I have unzipped the file "update_kernel" and put it in the root directory of an SD card. The file shows as being 5.8MB in size after unzipping. I have repeated the download 3 times with the same result.
I have done this on my Windows XP machine, but I have also downloaded on my Mac OX10 machine and the file shows as a UNIX executable file on the SD card.

John
Old 09-08-2008, 03:36 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is the Gen3 recognising the SD card? Do you see the "SD" symbol at the lower right of the library screen?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:40 AM   #59
jinibiza

"Is the Gen3 recognising the SD card? Do you see the "SD" symbol at the lower right of the library screen?"

Uh. No, I don't! I guess this is the problem. I will try another SD card.

John
Old 09-08-2008, 03:44 AM   #60
jinibiza

"Is the Gen3 recognising the SD card? Do you see the "SD" symbol at the lower right of the library screen?"

I tried another Sd card and it is now upgrading!

Thanks, Harry.

I wonder why it doesn't like my other SD card. It is a 1 GB 60x.