Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
Some nice little tweaks. I would have liked proper support for folders though. Reading Manga on the Gen 3 without folders is a pain.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 PM   #17
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevy View Post
i tried it,
a nice better pdf response when you change page, no crash of the cybook with big pdf, the zoom works well but if you go to the right of a page, when you go to the next page, you restart at the left (sorry if i'm not quite clear)
Its quite clear. -But, isnt that what one would expect? You've read the last sentence (From left to right), so you expect it to start in the left side on the next page?

Could anyone give me a good statement on how this is with (Scientific) PDFs now? I'll buy one in a second, if it is usable..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 12:15 AM   #18
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Here the upgrade worked perfectly, now we are going to test ...
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:26 AM   #19
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
I upgraded my Cybook. PDF support is pretty good, now: no crashes, ability to read even complex A4 documents...

I tried it with a 92-page A4 magazine with illustrations and it worked fine. If I combined the zoom with landscape display, it was nearly comfortable reading!

Browsing is a little slower than with Mobi or html files, though, you have to get used to it. And with landscape, you must use the up-down buttons to read a (printed) page from beginning to end, and left-right buttons to go from one page to the next.

There's still a few things to fix, mostly the management of fonts in PDF documents: with some fonts, especially at large font sizes, the letters get crunched up and untidy. But it's a minor problem, IMO.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
I don't quite understand what you're saying, could you describe in detail what isn't working?
I think I can.

First, with previous versions, the Cybooks "thought" that it was A4-size. If you had an A4 PDF in fullscreen, the status bar would say 100%, while if you had a 12x9cm PDF it would say 235%. This now seems to be fixed, and a fullscreen 12x9cm PDF is 101% (let's allow for rounding errors and not exact size matching).

Now, the problem is that the only zoom levels allowed are between 50% and 100%. So, if you have a 12x9cm PDF (designed for the Cybook screen), you cannot actually zoom in, because 100% is already fullscreen (the most you can have is "fit to width" and "landscape").

By the way, I also noticed a new rendering bug if PDFs. The cover page in the PDFs I've created (see in the "other ebooks" forum) have some elements missing (the top black rectangle and the title) when in high zoom (fullscreen or 100%), but if I zoom out everything is fine. This didn't happen with the previous firmware.

Last edited by Jellby; 09-06-2008 at 04:55 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 AM   #21
ADSR
Cyreader
ADSR began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The PDF support is pretty good now. I would mainly use it to read free newspapers so I tried today's AM New York issue. You can scroll through the pages in portrait mode with fitted width, read the headlines and then zoom to 100% when you find an interesting article that you want to read. This works pretty well with a reasonable speed.

The downside is: it still crashes sometimes while scrolling through the pages, and you'll get kicked back to the library So that's kind of a bummer. Have to say that AM New York is the only PDF I've tried so far so I can't judge on other PDF documents. I wonder how much the battery life has improved though.

Last edited by ADSR; 09-06-2008 at 05:04 AM.
ADSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:12 AM   #22
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Yep, fine on mine.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #23
stevy
stevy began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3 512Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I think I can.

First, with previous versions, the Cybooks "thought" that it was A4-size. If you had an A4 PDF in fullscreen, the status bar would say 100%, while if you had a 12x9cm PDF it would say 235%. This now seems to be fixed, and a fullscreen 12x9cm PDF is 101% (let's allow for rounding errors and not exact size matching).

Now, the problem is that the only zoom levels allowed are between 50% and 100%. So, if you have a 12x9cm PDF (designed for the Cybook screen), you cannot actually zoom in, because 100% is already fullscreen (the most you can have is "fit to width" and "landscape").

By the way, I also noticed a new rendering bug if PDFs. The cover page in the PDFs I've created (see in the "other ebooks" forum) have some elements missing (the top black rectangle and the title) when in high zoom (fullscreen or 100%), but if I zoom out everything is fine. This didn't happen with the previous firmware.
Totally correct. I couldn't say it better
stevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #24
Hanselda
Enthusiast
Hanselda began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook, Sony PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Could anyone give me a good statement on how this is with (Scientific) PDFs now? I'll buy one in a second, if it is usable..
Yes! It is quite good for scientific papers now. Especially for those with two or three columns, the zooming really works great. I tried the papers from some journals, all works very good. The two/three columns in many papers can be read easily with zoom. Even those old scanned PDF papers are OK.
Hanselda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #25
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselda View Post
Yes! It is quite good for scientific papers now. Especially for those with two or three columns, the zooming really works great. I tried the papers from some journals, all works very good. The two/three columns in many papers can be read easily with zoom. Even those old scanned PDF papers are OK.
Thanks for the feedback! Cybook is one my 'to get' list now..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #26
Hanselda
Enthusiast

The Cybook will still crash when reading PDF, especially when switching between pages too fast. A rule of thumb is, do not turn to the next page if the green LED is still bright, just wait for few seconds.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #27
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Two things I noticed after updating is, it now works on a PDF it crashed on before (turns out the PDF has a big full-page picture on it that took Cybok 25 secondsto load - but it didn't crash). Second is, when I turned it off, it reacted immediately. Previous firmware version had me keep the Power button pressed for 3-4 seconds before turning off.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #28
Hanselda
Enthusiast

There are still unreadable PDF files. Normally these are files with very large pictures.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:37 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
Some nice little tweaks. I would have liked proper support for folders though. Reading Manga on the Gen 3 without folders is a pain.
I would think that fixing the issued that plagued version 709 would be more important. Would you rather have folders with crashes, lockups, and reboots or would you rather not have folder support but also not have the crashes, lockups, and reboots? Personally, I'd take the no folder support for the stability fixes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #30
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would think that fixing the issued that plagued version 709 would be more important. Would you rather have folders with crashes, lockups, and reboots or would you rather not have folder support but also not have the crashes, lockups, and reboots? Personally, I'd take the no folder support for the stability fixes.
They will never eliminate all bugs. Folders seem to be a modular thing so they can add it to all old versions so you can then choose the one that suits you. It should not be an either or questions. If folders are delayed more than they will be irrelevant since new readers or new software like openinkpot will solve the problem.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote