Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #61
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So do you reckon that the cost of the complete machine is under €120?
Yes, I think so.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #62
anahid
Connoisseur
anahid began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3 + Kindle 3
And don't you all feel a bit cheated???
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anahid View Post
And don't you all feel a bit cheated???
Cheated? No, certainly not. I paid what I considered to be a fair price for an excellent machine - I'd be happy to pay that price again, because to me the device is worth it. I really don't give a damn what someone else has paid for it or what it costs to manufacture.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #64
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
In theory, a free market and competition will force the price as low as it can go and still allow the company to stay in business. There are more costs involved than just manufacturing. I doubt these companies are making huge profits from the e ink business, and someone along the supply chain to W.H. Smith may actually be taking a loss as a long-term investment.

That being said, the single vendor for the e ink screens (PVI) represents a monopoly, so we may not see those costs go down until Plastic Logic or another competitor actually brings some new screens to the market.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #65
anahid
Connoisseur
anahid began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3 + Kindle 3
The machine is excellent indeed, and I do not regret buying it, but considering todays prices of hardware you must admit it's expensive, and most of us are just normal people with normal wages.

Obviously what we pay for is the novelty, just let's hope other suppliers follow the example of W.H. Smith.
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #66
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
I've just looked at Pixmania's website. And -
"Applicable Conditions for Price Matching:
If you find your product for less on another UK website within 7 days of purchase, PIXMANIA will refund you the difference (same new product, including the same accessories and equivalent warranty)!
Price Matching only applies to products in the following ranges: CAMERA, CAMCORDER, TV VIDEO, I.T. PRODUCTS, SOUND and TELEPHONY (accessories and consumables not included).
The product price is the price displayed (VAT inc.) excluding discounts such as, promotional codes, gift certificates, and any other promotional offers (stock liquidation or sales)."
Nothing there about what if the item is out of stock on the rival site, and there's nothing on the WHS site sbout it being a promotional offer. So I've just emailed Pixmania about this.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #67
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My Bookeen CyBook arrived today from W.H. Smiths.

I've attached the obligatory unwrapping photos. There are four things in the box

1. CyBook
2. Black Leather Case
3. USB Cable
4. Quickstart Instructions

In short, everything you need and nothing you don't. (USB Chargers, headphones and SD Cards being completely standard items.)

Getting the leather case included is wonderful. A great bargain. I wonder how long it'll take them to get more stock in hand.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, mine too. So they did have more than one!

The email was sent around 1am this morning, and confirms the price of £149.99. I've just retrieved it from my spam filter!

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	16156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	16157   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1516.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	16158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	16159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1519.JPG
Views:	407
ID:	16161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1522.JPG
Views:	442
ID:	16162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1520.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	16163  
Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #68
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
I paid around £285 in June for a Gen3 and don't regret it for a second, though I pondered the purchase for a while before diving in. I've just ordered another from WHSmiths as a present for my wife, as at that price it's really a no-brainer; agreed, £150 is still a decent sum of money, but it's less than a half-day fee for me personally, and a lot closer to my 'impulse-buy' threshold than £285 was.

I think it's entirely possible that Smiths are selling this at a loss or near-loss, and many of the possible reasons have been referred to earlier in this thread. To be honest, I'm still half-expecting Smiths to come back to me with a 'whoops! sorry, made a mistake!' email but I'm in no hurry and am prepared to wait it out and see what happens.

So on that basis, no, I don't feel cheated at all!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jljones View Post
I've just looked at Pixmania's website. And -
"Applicable Conditions for Price Matching:
If you find your product for less on another UK website within 7 days of purchase, PIXMANIA will refund you the difference (same new product, including the same accessories and equivalent warranty)!
Price Matching only applies to products in the following ranges: CAMERA, CAMCORDER, TV VIDEO, I.T. PRODUCTS, SOUND and TELEPHONY (accessories and consumables not included).
The product price is the price displayed (VAT inc.) excluding discounts such as, promotional codes, gift certificates, and any other promotional offers (stock liquidation or sales)."
Nothing there about what if the item is out of stock on the rival site, and there's nothing on the WHS site sbout it being a promotional offer. So I've just emailed Pixmania about this.
Most price matching is usually only done if the item is in stock at the place who has the lower price.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #70
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most price matching is usually only done if the item is in stock at the place who has the lower price.
Indeed, but Pixmania's conditions don't say this. I don't expect to get anywhere, but was just curious to see how they reply.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #71
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
The box contents show that this is the basic package, as sold by bookeen and pixmania at approx £269, plus the latest leather cover at £30. (Pixmania, btw, is also a French company).

Given that the WHS price just jumped by the amount of the cover, along with the cost breakdown by Tompe, this makes me think that the basic package only is what they really thought they were selling. Still a rock-bottom price, though, and a very good deal.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #72
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Indeed, I've talked to one of my lecturers about readers and she was very much interested. I was originally going to suggest she get the Sony as they were the easiest to get in the UK, but WH smiths price is a ton better.

Getting the Gen 3 would mean that she could buy ebooks from Fictionwise / booksonboard without having to format shift. So a saving in price, & effort while providing a wider Selection. Based on what she says they spend on books, I figure they'll recover the cost of a couple of readers in a few months.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #73
kalpesh
kalpesh began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Indeed, I've talked to one of my lecturers about readers and she was very much interested. I was originally going to suggest she get the Sony as they were the easiest to get in the UK, but WH smiths price is a ton better.

Getting the Gen 3 would mean that she could buy ebooks from Fictionwise / booksonboard without having to format shift. So a saving in price, & effort while providing a wider Selection. Based on what she says they spend on books, I figure they'll recover the cost of a couple of readers in a few months.
if someone can wait till christmas the whsmith again drop the price down i think so even waterstone sell sony for cheaper price if market getting down
Old 09-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #74
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
If any non-UK people want to get one of these while the price is still pretty good, I don't mind receiving them and forwarding them on to your respective countries, as long as it doesn't get too overwhelming.

Obviously you'd have to pay for the postage+insurance from here to you, and of course it means that you'd be paying the VAT (i.e. it wouldn't be any cheaper than the list price, since it would be being delivered in the UK), but if you really want one and it's just the delivery that's stopping you, then I'm prepared to help.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #75
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hurra!!!

Great it’s true! And the first “official” costumer got his outstanding machine at this price - hey pdurrant great and wish you really enjoy your new toy.

About the “too much cost” issue…
We are in an open market… things cost what one accepts (in the second) he/she is able to pay to lay hands on the “thing”, any “thing”.

Being an early adopter for ages… I’m used to pay zillions for stuff that gets 10 times less expensive in less time then… well you know…

My state is: price is… well… what we accept to pay… in the moment we pay it…

There is just one thing we can do:

1) train ourselves to wait until it’s time, and just buy when it’s time (even if it’s too much “several months/year/whatever after we want to buy”);
2) just buy. Nothing pays the fun of having the gadget we are wanting…

As you can imaging: I’m in the 2) group all the way! (or at least I try)
Closed Thread