Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #31
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter View Post
I just ordered a Cybook, but I have to say that the amount of enthousiasm the announcement of a soon to be firmware update really is kinda telling about the machine. Most reviews comment on the "beta"-feel of the software on it, and this whole thread seems to underline that feeling.

Excitement! Finally! maybe now the product we paid a lot of money for will come out of beta! yeah!
I don't think that's the case. The software does not feel like it's in beta status, it only has some minor problems (IMHO), like bad library navigation and lack of page numbers.

Last edited by IceHand; 04-01-2008 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Typo
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
I don't think that's the case. The software does not feel like it's in beta status, it only hase some minor problems (IMHO), like bad library navigation and lack of page numbers.
The problem her is that there is two versions of the software. The first one had some show stopping bugs. The unannounced firmware update and also the firmware shipped in new devices seems to fix most of these issues but not all.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #33
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It happened with some dictionaries but not others.
So the problem is in the dictionary not in the reader. But it is true, the reader should not stop working when in encounters a problem..
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
So the problem is in the dictionary not in the reader. But it is true, the reader should not stop working when in encounters a problem..
There is no reason to think the problem is in the dictionary. If I would bet money I would guess it is in the reader. Sounds like the reader does not handle some cases properly. I do not believe the reader is tested as much as the dictionary.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure they tested the reader with some dictionaries, at least. Presumably, as you say, there was something in those particular dictionaries which the reader didn't handle correctly, resulting in a hangup or a reboot. From the sound of it, there's still something which it doesn't like in the Collins dictionary, resulting in a failure to find certain words.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #36
rambler
rambler began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
I don't think that's the case. The software does not feel like it's in beta status, it only has some minor problems (IMHO), like bad library navigation and lack of page numbers.
Isn't the lack of page numbers rather an major annoyance though? It's the one thing that stops me from getting a Cybook over a Sony...

Any chance a firmware update will fix that?
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #37
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
I love my Cybook, and I agree with Rambler that the lack of page numbers are quite annoying
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #38
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
Isn't the lack of page numbers rather an major annoyance though? It's the one thing that stops me from getting a Cybook over a Sony...

Yes I would like to have page numbers on my Cybook but it was even more annoying on my Sony that the page numbers for bookmarks were related to the font size so sometimes I wasn't sure which came first. This may have been unique to me since as the day goes on, my eye sight worsens and I increase the font size.

I liked my Sony. I love my Cybook.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #39
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Isn't the lack of page numbers rather an major annoyance though?
It depends on the person. I couldn'd care less. I have absolute no use for pagenumbers, it is a leftover from p-books. In e-books they change all the time when you modify font size of font type. The progress bar is good enough for me.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

I really couldn't give a damn about them myself. There is a progress bar which shows you how far through the book you are, and you can also find out the total number of pages in the book (although this could be made a little easier to get at). Remember that you can load any font you wish onto the Gen3 (unlike the Sony), and view it at any of 12 different sizes. The page number would change with every combination of font and size - ie my page 100 wouldn't be the same as your page 100 in a given book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #41
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I really couldn't give a damn about them myself. There is a progress bar which shows you how far through the book you are, and you can also find out the total number of pages in the book (although this could be made a little easier to get at)
The progress bar does not work for short stories in a collection. And since you cannot see the current page number it is very hard to get a feeling of how long the short story is. For me this is a major annoyance and not knowing the length makes the reading experience worse.

The progress bar does not seem to be reliable always. It does not always start at zero.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #42
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter View Post
I just ordered a Cybook, but I have to say that the amount of enthousiasm the announcement of a soon to be firmware update really is kinda telling about the machine. Most reviews comment on the "beta"-feel of the software on it, and this whole thread seems to underline that feeling.
I think you're overstating that case a bit. Many of us are quite happy with the Gen 3 in its current state. I find that it performs its core functions very well.

The only thing I am missing, and that I would love to see in an upgrade ASAP, is folder support (or even better, implementation of "reading lists" as in the Mobipocket desktop/PDA software).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #43
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Isn't the lack of page numbers rather an major annoyance though?
Not at all. The progress bar tells me all I need to know.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #44
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Remember that you can load any font you wish onto the Gen3 (unlike the Sony), and view it at any of 12 different sizes. The page number would change with every combination of font and size - ie my page 100 wouldn't be the same as your page 100 in a given book.
I'd definitely like page numbers - my CyBook often forgets where it was when it's powered up, and bookmarks often disappear.
If I knew what the page number had been, it'd make it easier to find where I'd got to. (I was reading a 1000+ page novel recently, and it was a nightmare trying to home in on where I'd left off ).
The fact that page numbers would alter with format isn't a problem , since I wouldn't be changing the format - so page numbers should stay consistent (more or less).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #45
pieter
Connoisseur
pieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enough

Device: CyBook Gen3
People can be "quite happy" with beta software as well. But when people are this excited about a new firmware, one can only wonder what exactly was wrong with the older one. As I said, I ordered one, and am planning to be very happy with it.

Having to upgrade software is one thing. But needing to upgrade hardware people paid 350 euros for is another. Obviously the first customers should have gotten this firmware to begin with. Actually the first customers should have gotten the firmware that will give us proper use of folders.

Most of us are just early adopters who don't mind to upgrade firmware on hardware or don't mind the occassional bug. As such we're cutting the Cybook a lot of slack. Also the other ereaders have problems of their own. As such I think the Cybook still is the best choice for most people wanting an ereader.

Anyway, I'll drop the negativity and share in the joy of anticipating the swift release of and upgrade to our machines. Now our Cybooks will be even better!
Hehe that doesn't sound very convincing, does it? But I genuinely am happy that they're still working on bettering the Cybook.
pieter is offline   Reply With Quote