Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
ugumba
ugumba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
The Economist: "See article" links point to web

As a digital Economist subscriber (for Android/iPad apps), I was very pleased to see the availability of a Calibre recipe. (I was rather upset about the idea of having to pay *again* for a Kindle edition.)

However, the "See article" links, e.g. in the "Politics this week" section, remain pointing to the full web URL, which feels a bit pointless as all the linked articles exist in the same MOBI. I.e. it would be fantastic if the "See article" links pointed to the article in the MOBI.

Can this be easily remedied? I'm a C# developer, but as I suspect this is not a quick fix, I have no idea where to start...

It would also be great to the the "official" issue date into the title. Is this maybe contrary to recipe rules?

Last edited by ugumba; 06-25-2012 at 04:33 PM.
ugumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Steven630
Groupie
Steven630 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite2
Quote:
It would also be great to the the "official" issue date into the title.
I agree. The information in metadata always has date of downloading as publishing date.

timefmt should be the solution. But it doesn't work. (Or I didn't have it right)

I don't really find "see article" links a problem for me because I never switch article in the middle of an article.

One thing I did notice is that in "Politics this week" and "Business this week", some links point to Economist blogs entries and these are not included in the print edition. It would be nice to have an additional section called "Blog", which include those articles, added to the TOC. This way, I wouldn't miss some interesting articles in their blogs.

Last edited by Steven630; 06-26-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Steven630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The date is stripped from the title if you are generating files for Kindles, because the Kindle requires that, otherwise it treats every issue as a separate periodical.

As for the links, it's certainly possible, but non-trivial. The BasicNewsRecipe class is fully documented, feel free to play around with the recipe.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Steven630
Groupie
Steven630 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite2
Quote:
The date is stripped from the title if you are generating files for Kindles
I don't quite understand. My Kindle displays the date in the metadata, which is the date of downloading.
Steven630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
timefmt inserts dates in to the title, which for Kindles is stripped. The date your kindle displays comes from the date portion of the metadata. That is not controllable from recipes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert