Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
shortywriter
shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
News story about a woman donating Kindle to quadriplegic woman

I stumbled on this story earlier today and thought it was touching story of kindness.
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/20/333...driplegic.html
shortywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortywriter View Post
I stumbled on this story earlier today and thought it was touching story of kindness.
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/20/333...driplegic.html
wonderful that she did that. it would be pretty fantastic if there were some kind of permanent fund that did this type of thing.

for those that do not read the entire story, there is a link for gift cards
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
wonderful that she did that. it would be pretty fantastic if there were some kind of permanent fund that did this type of thing.

for those that do not read the entire story, there is a link for gift cards
If MR set up a fund to donate ereaders; I would gladly contribute.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
If MR set up a fund to donate ereaders; I would gladly contribute.
I would as well
Old 01-22-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I would as well
Ditto..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Include me.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I am glad that Hammond was given the device of her choice. More such kindnesses should be seen everyday.

But I have a question that isn't addressed in the story. PLEASE -- I am not bashing any device nor do I wish to take away from the charity shown.

What I wonder is whether the Kindle was the correct device for a person in her medical condition. There was no discussion of the extent of her mobility.

I raise the question because with the technologies currently available, perhaps a different device would have been a better choice for manipulability. OTOH, perhaps the Kindle was the perfect choice.

I think giving these kinds of gifts to the disabled is a wonderful idea as long as the device is compatible with their capabilities and needs.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

as a quick and easy answer IMHO, it is not necessary to connect with a PC and use a kindle. in fact, someone else far removed from the user can be the "tech support" as it were for the device
Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
There was no discussion of the extent of her mobility.
That was my first concern also, but there was a brief mention:

Quote:
Hammond, who has very limited use of her hands and has trouble turning book pages, is thrilled with her Kindle. "I can handle this," she said.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/20/333...#ixzz1BmbWq6Na
It would be nice if some ereader made available a connector for all its buttons so that some sort of remote controller could be attached. In theory, the Bluetooth Kobo could be set up with a wireless controller, which would be really flexible. There are lots of different disabilities, so flexibility is important.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote