Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #1
moth
moth began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis
corrupted mobi files

I've been having a problem with corrupted mobi files on my Kindle Oasis. I normally download the files to my computer and use email to kindle. I've opened the original files on my computer in Calibre and they don't have the problems I am seeing on the Kindle. The files on kindle will have weird repeated chunks of text or symbols, like what you see where emoji don't convert, where there are none in the original text.

I noticed 2 this week 1 was a file I had just emailed and 1 was a file that was redownloaded from my library. Has anyone had problems like this? I can't tell if it's the email to kindle or the device. I am wondering about the device because it had to have a hard reset earlier this year because it got really buggy and slow and wouldn't advance pages and none of my other kindles had issues like this
moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:23 PM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by moth View Post
and none of my other kindles had issues like this
None of your other kindles had the slow down issue? Or none of them have your current issue?

Cause if it's your current problem, then that's most probably your kindle device.

I'd try another factory reset. If that doesn't fix it, and it's only affecting that particular kindle, it might time to say goodbye to it
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:00 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Try using another way to send your books to the kindle, such as transfer via usb. It could be the case that the books are corrupted during the email process.
Worth a try.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:55 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
One possibility is a incorrect character encoding resulting from a conversion problem. That can lead to content that looks like the example below.

One possible cause of this is that Amazon's Kindle conversion tools (kindlegen and Kindle Previewer) assume a default character encoding of ISO-8859-1 (Latin1) for historical reasons. However most content is actually UTF-8 Unicode these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad-chars.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	192633  

Last edited by jhowell; 03-08-2022 at 10:12 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrupted file, email to kindle