Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-13-2023, 08:21 PM   #1
gonzalo_diaz
gonzalo_diaz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Font MIME type does not match extension

Hello,

I am editing an ebook in epub format, which contains an embedded font (Noto Nastaliq Urdu https://fonts.google.com/noto/specim...+Nastaliq+Urdu)

When importing the ebook into Calibre, then using "Edit", and the the useful "Check Book" utility, I get the following warning:

"The file OEBPS/Fonts/NotoNastaliqUrdu_VariableFont_whgt.ttf has a MIME type that does not match its extension"

What does that error mean, and how can I correct it?

I saw some related comments here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/2023646
but I don't understand what to do.

Any comment, please?
The book seems to work well, but I am curious about that error.
gonzalo_diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 08:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The right side of the debugger offer solutions for many SELECTED error messages. Select the error on the left: pick the solution on the right
Personally, I avoid Fix All until I have reviewed and corrected ones like you saw.
Most common Fix all is bad ID, usually the last FIX I do
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:55 AM   #3
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalo_diaz View Post
What does that error mean, and how can I correct it?
My guess is that the mime type for the font in the manifest is "font/otf", which means an OpenType font, while Check Book expects that a .ttf extension would require a mime type of "font/ttf", meaning a TrueType font. It's an exceedingly minor nitpick and won't make any difference, because OpenType is pretty much a proper superset of TrueType, and the same rendering engine is used for both in every implementation.

I've seen fonts from commercial foundries where the file extension doesn't match the actual contents, and it goes both ways (TrueType in a .otf and OpenType in a .ttf).

Changing the extension to .otf and setting the mime type to "font/otf" wouldn't hurt anything, even if the font really is a TrueType font, and it should fix your error.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 02:36 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The calibre error checker will notice that the mine type is incorrect for the font and allow you to auto-fix it. Done!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote