Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-27-2023, 04:19 PM   #1
RMOP
Connoisseur
RMOP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, TabPRO 8.4, Galaxy Light, Sony PRS-300
2nd TOC? or Index? or What?

I've edited a Psalter, with 150 psalms, divided into 60 separate chapters (Morning/Evening Prayer). The TOC for this is in place. However, I'm unclear what approach would be appropriate to have a separate Index or Secondary TOC (if there is such a thing) in order to have a quick way to navigate to any specificied psalm, independently of the Morning/Evening chapter divisions. A scrollable page for selecting any particular psalm would be fine, as would be a drop-down navigation menu showing selection options.

What should I be thinking of doing? Many thanks.
RMOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:14 AM   #2
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I like to include an inline TOC, which is another html file with links to the enteries

(Tools, TOC, Inline TOC)

That HTML file is edit-able if you want to tweak it

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edi...le-of-contents

You can create a template that will be used instead of the default

C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\calibre\resource s\templates\inline_toc_styles.css

I'm sure there's instructions in the user manual about using the css but I always have a hard time finding things there
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 12:20 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
First the Basics: There can only be ONE Table of contents DECLARED per EPUB book (just like, a Cover). For EPUB2, this is the NCX (with any inline, usually derived from that by using the tool the Phos referred to).

OTOH Just like cover, you can have as many (undeclared) lookalikes.

So, why not use Calibre's tools to help do the slight of hand and help build them?
The simplest is to start with Markup of the files to be included using H# (h1-h6 are available) tags on the part to be captured as this TOC pseudo-TOC entries.
This allows us to create a single indented TOC by level.
Once the NCX has all the levels, use the make inline tool to make one.

IMMEDIATLY thereafter, remove the TOC semantics from that file (you will see an icon in the Editor next to that file) so further TOC generation does not stomp this file) .

You are now free to break up (split) and/or edit this file. We made it this way because it has all the links intact to the various levels (but remember, any adjustments to the original NCX, never propagate to inline. This TOC-Index task is the near last steps to be done)
Place the results of the file splits where you want (in the book list order)
Add a near top level heading (H2-h3) to thes files so the next step can pick them up. eg <h2> Evening prayers</h2>

Now generate a NEW (NCX) TOC, but only using top levels (I believe this is H1-3). This is the final TOC, you can touch up as needed while in the TOC editor, just as normal.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote