Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
lovelyloey
Enthusiast
lovelyloey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Bizarre public library DRM PDF problem

I am aware that public library PDF and ePUB cannot coexist on my reader. So I loaded 4 PDFs, and none of them can open ("Protected Page").
However, when I load only one, it works. I have double and triple checked that they are all PDFs. I am seriously miffed and confused at this.
Anyone encountered this? Any solution?
lovelyloey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I'm pretty sure I've had multiple Public Library PDF on my Reader and have not encountered the problem you mention.

Did you load all 4 PDF at the same time or individually?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Some library books are Adobe PDFs, some are Adobe EPUB (both DRM protected). You can have one or the other - not both types of DRM - on the Reader.

From the Sony website (this was for the 505, but I'm sure it is the same for the 300 and 600).

Quote:
This issue happens when Adobe DRM protected ePub and PDF eBooks which have been borrowed, both exist on the Reader.

To solve this issue, please follow these steps:

1. Delete all borrowed books from the Reader and transfer them again from Adobe Digital Editions or eBook Library.
2. Verify that all borrowed books are of the same format(ePub or PDF) before transferring them to the Reader.
Pain in the a** I know, as lots of libraries have mixed stock, though many are moving to mainly EPUB.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Oops - scrolled up too far and missed the start of your post - you know already about the EPUB/PDF thingy .....
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I hadn't heard of this type of problem with the same format being used, but I did find the below post with a possible solution. [bolded part is mine]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I am familiar with the problem listed below since I got caught a second time, ARGGG
This time the solution was not so straight forward. I tried deleting the files with the reader, the pdf would re-load but still could not be read. I tried deleting it via the PC as a simple file delete, still no luck. Finally I deleted it from within ADE. The weird part is the book was no longer on the reader but ADE still listed it. When I deleted the 'ghost' book it read fine when I re-loaded it.

sorry about the muddy explanations...

There should be an edit to the WIKI instructions... delete the DRM pdf from within ADE.

WIKI entry...
You can borrow epub and pdf books from your library, but be careful to never have both epub and pdf library books on your reader at the same time, as there is a conflict and you will not be able to access them. A Protected Page! error occurs on the Reader when opening a borrowed book that is in the ePub or PDF format when borrowed Adobe DRM-protected ePub and PDF eBooks exist on the Reader at the same time. Follow this procedure to correct this issue: From Sony eSupport [1]

1. Delete all borrowed books from the Reader.
There should be an edit to the WIKI instructions... delete the [RDM] DRM pdf from within ADE.
2. Verify that all borrowed books are in the same format (either ePub or PDF) before transferring them back to the Reader.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
lovelyloey
Enthusiast
lovelyloey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
So in the end I did something someone else in the forum did-
(1) delete and redownloaded all the Borrowed books using ADE
(2) Load the Borrowed books into Sony Reader Library
(3) Transfer via Sony Reader Library to my PRS600

Works so far. Not sure what is wrong, bizarre.
lovelyloey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
That has happened to me before, and itʻs been very frustrating. I havenʻt chosen any more pdfs from the library, since I had that problem (like you, I had only drm pdfs on my reader). I havenʻt had any problems with only epubs. Frustrating, i hadnʻt tried what dreams posted yet though. Sometimes I just donʻt have the energy to try things! I just want to read.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
That's one of the reasons DRM protected Book are banned from my readers and PCs.
How good is programming when you can't have pdf and epub DRMs one the same device at the same time. Next you can't load magazines/books from different publishers at the same time.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
That's one of the reasons DRM protected Book are banned from my readers and PCs.
How good is programming when you can't have pdf and epub DRMs one the same device at the same time. Next you can't load magazines/books from different publishers at the same time.
Shhhh! Don't give "them" ideas.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote