Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
GUI desktop emulates papers and books on physical desktop

The BumpTop desktop interface prototype is one of those technologies that makes you go "Wow!" If you follow that link, you'll find a video available as Quicktime or WMP or YouTube formats, or you can just click play from this Lifehacker article. It's only a few minutes, and it's worth your while to take a look.

I'm not convinced it's ready to be used for several reasons, however. First of all, it's in prototype stage, so we shouldn't expect it's ready for prime time. But also, I think they are headed in the wrong direction. Instead of making it a supplemental interface for virtual desktops that work in conjunction with the regular Windows desktop and file system, they are trying to build a "full blown desktop replacement that can be installed on any machine."

Some of the most obvious features also seem to be missing, at least from the presentation. For example, you don't seem to be able to have the document title with the document icon. Maybe that's just a demo thing to keep it looking clean. I don't know. But I do know that I wouldn't like being forced into a choice between this and a regular desktop paradigm, and I really need the text names to go with the documents.

But it's an amazing technology that sounds very promising if applied correctly. And with enough trial users, I'm sure they can work out the kinks, and figure out the right context for it. I say bring it on. I'd love to organize my e-book library using this!

Via Lifehacker.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
That looks awesome. Imagine this in your ebook reader. Great way to organize your documents and quickly select what you need. This is a great development. And all done with just a pen.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
I think the best G/UI can be found in games. ... An interface like that of HomeWorld would be so cool. Imagine having a 'Galaxy' view of your PC and being able to zoom into each 'sector' (folder) with a click of the button to see the fleets (files) and issue them commands etc.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote