Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
The e-Reader Paradox

An interesting blog article about e devices, content publishers, and the problems of getting readers to pay for content.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Interesting, but I disagree on at least one point. That being eReaders will not have people buying more content. Before ebooks I really seldom read, much less bought, a book. I would use a library from time to time, but didn't see buying a book as a good investment. Since I have been using ebooks (several years) I buy ebooks all the time. So at least in my case the publishers are getting revenue they would not be getting without electronic publishing. When you can set at home, see a good price on an ebook, and instantly download it, something happens. That something is impulse buying.

While many folks seldom walk into a book store, once they are hooked on a website they will look and buy.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I agree totally - impulse buying has drastically increased my book purchasing. Esp. with Whispernet connectivity & one-click buying. Plus knowing you don't have to find room for another pbook in the house.
And from most comments I've read here, readers with ebooks have massive TBR lists on their ereadaer and can't stop adding to it.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
nbvanyoos
NB VanYoos
nbvanyoos will become famous soon enoughnbvanyoos will become famous soon enoughnbvanyoos will become famous soon enoughnbvanyoos will become famous soon enoughnbvanyoos will become famous soon enoughnbvanyoos will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Subscription Based Model

I still believe a subscription based model will be the future for eReading. At that point, you'll have access to all you can read content within the services vast library. Think about music, gaming, and video subscriptions and then combine them into a mega service (like cable TV) that you can consume with a single monthly payment. Google Media?

Get them hooked, then introduce advertising into the mix. I remember when cable TV had no advertising. Google makes almost all their revenue from online advertising, so when Google Editions comes out, advertising will be somewhere within it. Probably on the web site only, at first.

The good news, some of the content will be for free as long as you put up with the ads. As an author, I don't mind this as long as I get paid for my content.
nbvanyoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for the link!

He's got some good points, but I will continue to reserve judgment.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbvanyoos View Post
I still believe a subscription based model will be the future for eReading.
I don't see this myself. It hasn't worked for music.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm with you - I want to own my books, even the free ones.

If you're not a re-reader, then a subscription model would work for you. Since I am, I would object to being charged every time I want to re-read a book.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

"Ereaders don't make more people read more news"

i don't know about that point, but what i do know is right now in Australia there are 2 ways of reading a newspaper, either buy it which i never do, or read the online site for free, which i do, only because its easier than having a big newspaper on the train.

but i am more than happy to pay for my papers to be delivered on the kindle!!

take note Faixfax Limited and News Limited, i want my Melbourne papers on my kindle and i am willing to pay for them too!! (listens to echo as statement falls on deaf ears lol)
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
"Ereaders don't make more people read more news"

i don't know about that point, but what i do know is right now in Australia there are 2 ways of reading a newspaper, either buy it which i never do, or read the online site for free, which i do, only because its easier than having a big newspaper on the train.

but i am more than happy to pay for my papers to be delivered on the kindle!!

take note Faixfax Limited and News Limited, i want my Melbourne papers on my kindle and i am willing to pay for them too!! (listens to echo as statement falls on deaf ears lol)

So you have wifi on the train? and you read it on a laptop or Iphone or ?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I also buy more now. I hated buying books before as 99.9% of them I'll only read once, and then you're stuck with the book, or hassling to sell/donate it. And libraries are a pain with due dates (and they're pretty crappy around me anyway).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
So you have wifi on the train? and you read it on a laptop or Iphone or ?
I have an iPhone and a cell tower signal.
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
I have an iPhone and a cell tower signal.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
nbvanyoos
NB VanYoos
nbvanyoos will become famous soon enoughnbvanyoos will become famous soon enoughnbvanyoos will become famous soon enoughnbvanyoos will become famous soon enoughnbvanyoos will become famous soon enoughnbvanyoos will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
So Amazon's interest in Netflix and iTune's movie rental doesn't signal a subscription interest by these content providers? I venture to say it is only a hop skip and a jump before you can "rent" various media from iTunes for a flat rate subscription fee like Netflix. Amazon is angling that direction too. Purchasing and ownership will still be available, but most people don't want to keep their paperbacks, thus why the second hand bookstores and libraries are so popular. With Google, they probably want to give it all away for free and pay for it with advertising. Publishers will prevent that, so a subscription model would make sense for them.
nbvanyoos is offline   Reply With Quote