Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #31
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Hyphenation support appears to be added via
Code:
body {
	-epub-hyphens:auto;
	-webkit-hyphens:auto;
	}
Hopefully this code support makes it over to the e-ink Kindles soon. It'd simplify my book-loading process. Much easier to automatically add a line of css when converting to embed fonts in Calibre, instead of converting then running an additional plugin.

I'd like to see the Bookerly font as well. It is rather nice.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:15 PM   #32
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Nope. Whatever peas (within reason) were available would be eaten by whatever utensil I currently had at my disposal.

When it comes to books, my loyalty is reserved primarily for the content. I'm just OCD enough to spend waaaaay too much time analyzing and futzing over typography (e or p) if I'm not careful. So I do my best to ignore it and just read books. I prefer full justification and hyphenation, but I'm not married to it. I'm flexible. The typography in print books (at least the ones I bought) varied pretty wildly too, and I survived reading them for decades. I see no reason why ebooks should be any different. *shrugs*
I still read plenty of paper books, most of them used and with brownish pages. If I can enjoy those, I can enjoy whatever typography the ereaders throw at me. So, I'm with you on this topic: enjoy the content and don't fuss about the medium. Why make trouble for yourself when life makes more than enough?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2015, 11:23 PM   #33
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I can eat peas (feel free to insert a food you love here) with a spoon or a knife or a fork. I prefer a spoon.
You eat your peas with a spoon? I'm putting you on my ignore list!

JK!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:19 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Compared to what Kobo provides, this is too little too late.

The Kindle needs a lot more fonts, and a lot more adjustments to set typography to the user's preference, IMHO.
It's one thing to say that your personal preference would be to have more fonts and font settings; it's quite another to say that it "needs" to have them. Can you explain why you feel that the Kindle needs to have these things, as opposed to it being your preference that it have them? Do you think that it's not a commercially successful device without them?

Last edited by HarryT; 06-01-2015 at 03:11 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Saw this in my daily The Passive Voice email:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3046678/...at-doesnt-suck
From the article ...
Quote:
While Bookerly's not an entirely new typeface—Amazon silently soft-launched it on the Kindle Fire earlier this year, a development only a few people noticed
Huh? I noticed it immediately. It was pretty hard to miss (there was a pop-up announcement). It's the only font I use on my Fire.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #36
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
A more interesting upgrade for the Fire HDX to 4.5.4 is that the Fire can be really charging when viewing youtube.

After the 4.5.4 upgrade, I viewed a couple of youtube "videos" & after getting out of youtube, the battery showed 80% as it was 69% prior to youtube.

The thing is that the videos were 2 of Haydn's Piano Trios in a videoed live performance; so don't know if the increase in battery charge was because of not much "action".....
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #37
Cthulhu4u
Cthulhu4u began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
How about updating the fire tablets to have collections? Let's work on that.
Cthulhu4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:10 AM   #38
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's one thing to say that your personal preference would be to have more fonts and font settings; it's quite another to say that it "needs" to have them. Can you explain why you feel that the Kindle needs to have these things, as opposed to it being your preference that it have them? Do you think that it's not a commercially successful device without them?
To be honest, I think the typesetting of the Kindle is very poor. I'm used to books (hardcovers) that have been typeset meticulously, including ligatures and all.

Have you ever seen a document typeset by LaTeX, and then compared it with a similar document typeset using the default styles in Word (or any other word processor for that matter)? A LaTeX document is a thing of beauty, ready to be bound in a hardcover to look professional. A Word document, at least, in the default formatting that most people seem to use, is only fit to have a staple slammed through its upper left corner.

That is the feeling I get when comparing an e-reader to a real book, but the advantages outweigh this one disadvantage.

I was hoping the Kobo readers would do a better job, but I don't know if I should try, as Kobo seems intent on using their own wacky KEPUB format, which is only badly/intermittently supported in Calibre now, because the person maintaining it has (almost) stopped doing so.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #39
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
To be honest, I think the typesetting of the Kindle is very poor. I'm used to books (hardcovers) that have been typeset meticulously, including ligatures and all.

Have you ever seen a document typeset by LaTeX, and then compared it with a similar document typeset using the default styles in Word (or any other word processor for that matter)? A LaTeX document is a thing of beauty, ready to be bound in a hardcover to look professional. A Word document, at least, in the default formatting that most people seem to use, is only fit to have a staple slammed through its upper left corner.

That is the feeling I get when comparing an e-reader to a real book, but the advantages outweigh this one disadvantage.

I was hoping the Kobo readers would do a better job, but I don't know if I should try, as Kobo seems intent on using their own wacky KEPUB format, which is only badly/intermittently supported in Calibre now, because the person maintaining it has (almost) stopped doing so.
Just the fact that you don't consider an ebook a "real book" causes me to dismiss every other thing that you've said.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #40
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Just the fact that you don't consider an ebook a "real book" causes me to dismiss every other thing that you've said.

Shari
That's ridiculous. You know exactly what I mean. Then read 'paper book' or 'physical book' instead of 'real book.'

(And still, IMHO, an e-reader/e-book stands to a physical book like a player/mp3's stand to a physical CD. In the latter case, both versions are music albums, in the former case they are both written stories.)
Old 06-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #41
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
(And still, IMHO, an e-reader/e-book stands to a physical book like a player/mp3's stand to a physical CD. In the latter case, both versions are music albums, in the former case they are both written stories.)
I don't have a pony in this race, but...

That analogy doesn't quite fly; most digital music files are a degraded version of the original CD which itself is an imperfect capture of the original performance. Book sniffers aside, ebooks do carry the full scope of the original narrative.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #42
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

That analogy doesn't quite fly; most digital music files are a degraded version of the original CD which itself is an imperfect capture of the original performance. Book sniffers aside, ebooks do carry the full scope of the original narrative.
I disagree with your disagreement!
Substitute a lossless audiophile grade digital format for mp3 and studio produced music created for recording, as some artists make, and it amounts to the same thing. Plus, sometimes ebooks do make compromises on layout and typography, which may be important to the communication (e.g. in some forms of poetry, etc.) and you have you equivalent of mp3 loss.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #43
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

I should have known.

First, my music collection is lossless FLAC (I used MP3 because many people don't know what FLAC is), and second, most e-books I have don't come near the 'real book' regarding formatting, and especially, if available, illustrations. I, for one, count these things as part of the book.

It's much easier to create a digital representation of a CD (use FLACs, fill in metadata, and use high resolution cover art) than it is to create a digital representation of a book. Metadata, and high res covers/illustrations can be done quite easily actually, but text accuracy, formatting and typesetting are often neglected.

And then, when converting, the conversion will not be lossless. Converting from format to format might mess up the book beyond recognition, while converting music from one lossless format to another will normally be perfect.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-03-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm glad I got over that "real book" dogma long ago. Much easier to enjoy the books when I don't have to waste energy convincing myself that things that clearly don't really bother me, do.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #45
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I should have known.

First, my music collection is lossless FLAC (I used MP3 because many people don't know what FLAC is), and second, most e-books I have don't come near the 'real book' regarding formatting, and especially, if available, illustrations. I, for one, count these things as part of the book.

It's much easier to create a digital representation of a CD (use FLACs, fill in metadata, and use high resolution cover art) than it is to create a digital representation of a book. Metadata, and high res covers/illustrations can be done quite easily actually, but text accuracy, formatting and typesetting are often neglected.

And then, when converting, the conversion will not be lossless. Converting from format to format might mess up the book beyond recognition, while converting music from one lossless format to another will normally be perfect.
I'm so glad that I am able to truly enjoy music and books without worrying whether or not they are in a "lossless" format. I've really truly tried to hear the difference between music in mp3 and flac format, and I can't hear it. I also really don't care about the format of a book, as long as I can read it. Unfortunately, sometimes when publishers try to add fancy fonts and other formatting the book becomes unreadable to me (because of size, or in one particularly horrifying case, an author specifying text *color* which made the text appear faded when read using e-ink)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote