Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Have a quick question about my new Kindle Keyboard

So far, I'm really pleased with it and the screen difference from my K1 is amazing. Wow.

The only minor issue I have a question about is the power switch/slide. The button is a bit loose? Meaning it rattles and moves a little bit if I brush it with a finger while I'm holding the device or if I gently shake the Kindle you can hear it rattle. Now, it seems fine in terms of sliding back/retracting when I've used ti to go to sleep, but I was wondering about it being loose.

I pretty much plan to just keep it and if it gets worse at some point then contact Amazon but I was wondering if anyone else had one with a loose power switch and if it got worse or if it held up OK.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
On one of mine the power slider was on the tight side

I would think it would be OK, but if it concerns you I'd call them, I had a cover that
had a light that would go of if you bumped it and they replaced it no questions asked.

Amazon has great customer service.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I plan to just roll with it for now...it doesn't really seem like it is going to fall off or anything and it slides and retracts just fine so I'll just see how it goes. If it gets worse or falls off or stops retracting when slid then I can contact Amazon. Being brand new, I've got until Sept. 29, 2012!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The power slider on my year old KK (nee K3) has a very very slight amount of front/back play. There is no left/right play though the spring pressure is very minimal when its at the resting position.

There have been reports of these sliders binding and not springing back after use forcing you to push it back manually. Usually this clears up after some use and is generally attributed to dirt or something sticky getting in the edges around the slider (caused by ?? operating it with slightly dirty fingers, ...). Mine did this some months back and cleared up on its own after about 10-20 operations. Perhaps Amazon has recently revised the part to have more clearance to reduce the problem.

The slider is not the real switch itself; it just operates on the real internal switch. The slider being loose does not indicate that the real switch isn't firmly mounted on the circuit board inside.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Power switch on mine is pretty tight - no rattling
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If it's rattling it's defective. Call CS they will send you a new one and they're pretty quick on getting it there.

Mine takes a bit of force to move.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
texasnightowl
Guru

boo...will they send a new one or a refurbished one? Thought I used to see that even if you had a brand new one they sent out a refurb to replace it?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
boo...will they send a new one or a refurbished one? Thought I used to see that even if you had a brand new one they sent out a refurb to replace it?
No they send new usually. You can ask them to be sure but the ones I've seen replaced were new not refurbished.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post

I would specifically ask for a New one
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
texasnightowl
Guru

alright, I'll go ahead and contact them via the web page or something about it. I guess if I'll get a new one and not a refurb I'll go ahead and contact them now instead of waiting.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I never liked that slide switch..
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
texasnightowl
Guru

Have to admit I much prefer the switch that is on the back of my K1 to this switch on the bottom of the K3. But I much prefer the K3 screen now...and it's only been 2 days!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
texasnightowl
Guru

Hmm...Update is that I did just call...and basically since it's not causing me any problem to put it sleep or wake it up, etc...he indicated it shouldn't be a problem and to call back if the functionality suffers.

Which to be honest is what I had originally planned to do anyway (see above) but now I'm curious since feedback seems to be it is tighter for those of you who have responded.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I never liked that slide switch..
I prefer the slide switch to a regular button. It is more difficult to accidentally turn it on.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #15
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I prefer the slide switch to a regular button. It is more difficult to accidentally turn it on.
Exactly....that's the whole design point folks...it's actually a fantastic switch....it just gets a bit sticky for a while.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote