Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
JoshLessard
Enthusiast
JoshLessard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle 3???
Sleep mode or full power off (Kindle 3)?

Hey all. What are people's opinions on whether the Kindle 3 should be left in sleep mode as opposed to fully powered down when it's not being actively read? Anyone know if sleep mode negatively affects battery life, both between charges and overall?

Thanks.
JoshLessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Lynn in Ohio
Lynn in Ohio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Sleep mode will still drain some power. I leave mine sleep if I'm coming back to it within an hour. Otherwise I power it down.
Lynn in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Actually, its been said many times here by using the sleep mode, or screen saver, your battery will last longer.

Its designed that way.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
JoshLessard
Enthusiast

What are you basing this on? Is this an Amazon recommendation?

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
I heard (sorry, no link) that powering it down and powering it up uses some energy in the process - for instance, a PC shifts into high gear for a moment to save stuff and do whatever it has to do to power down. Same with starting up - the processor (whether a kindle or PC) has do a bunch of stuff to get started. This uses up more power than sleep mode will use for a couple days (I heard).

It makes sense. It's like when they say to leave you car running if you will be stopped for 1 minute or less (or whatever the recommendation is), for instance when jumping out of your car to check your mailbox because starting it up uses more gas than leaving it running for a short time.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
JoshLessard
Enthusiast

It does make sense, and sleep mode is what I use. But a colleague is arguing that a full powerdown is better, so I thought I would confirm with people who know for sure.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
I heard (sorry, no link) that powering it down and powering it up uses some energy in the process - for instance, a PC shifts into high gear for a moment to save stuff and do whatever it has to do to power down. Same with starting up - the processor (whether a kindle or PC) has do a bunch of stuff to get started. This uses up more power than sleep mode will use for a couple days (I heard).
That's very likely true, but if you're not planning to use your Kindle for a month, then you'll preserve the battery better by doing a complete power-down.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
ezy_ryder88
ezy_ryder88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The iPod is the same thing. If you fully power it down and turn it back on again, the battery life is significantly and noticeably shorter. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kindle was the same.
ezy_ryder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLessard View Post
What are you basing this on? Is this an Amazon recommendation?

Thanks.
Yes.........but I can't find the page again....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote