Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
iBooks app in latest OS X Mavericks developer preview!

Finally!

Downloading now. Will let you know how I like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-07 at 7.54.03 PM.png
Views:	723
Size:	504.1 KB
ID:	109083  

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-08-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh man, oh man, oh man. iBooks for Mac is GREAT! For one thing, you can open multiple books at once!

IT HAS TEXT-TO-SPEECH!!!!

And it lets you search the web/wikipedia when you highlight and hold. The menu could be streamlined as there's a MORE button, but whatever. You can also share stuff to e-mail, Messages, etc.

LOVE the Collections feature too. It is just perfectly done. You can show notes in the margin, and show study cards too.

Import your own ePubs too.

Choices of fonts are:

Athelas
Charter
Georgia
Iowan
Palatino
Seravek
Times New Roman

And then you get White, Sepia, and Night color schemes.

With how pluggable OS X generally is, it might be very easy to add fonts and new schemes.

It's awesome though. Very well done. I think I might actually start using Calibre from now on so I can rip my DRM off my Amazon stuff and never have to use THEIR app ever again. It's THAT good.

Here's a screenshot of a page in a book. There are no margin options, but it fills up pretty good. Tells you how many pages are left in a chapter too.

http://cl.ly/image/3e3O0H2S1h47
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Good deal. The only thing I worry about as far as personal docs (deDRMed Amazon books, etc.) is whether they will fully sync between the Mac OS X and iOS devices. As we know, Amazon takes away some syncing capability from "personal docs" so I wonder if Apple will do the same. Hopefully not. Another bad thing for the iPhone iBooks app is the lack of very small margins. This is true of the Kindle app on iPhones too. Margins are not a problem on large screened devices like iPads and computers, but they need to be tiny on small devices like iPhones. For some reason neither Amazon or Apple seem to get this.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Good deal. The only thing I worry about as far as personal docs (deDRMed Amazon books, etc.) is whether they will fully sync between the Mac OS X and iOS devices. As we know, Amazon takes away some syncing capability from "personal docs" so I wonder if Apple will do the same. Hopefully not. Another bad thing for the iPhone iBooks app is the lack of very small margins. This is true of the Kindle app on iPhones too. Margins are not a problem on large screened devices like iPads and computers, but they need to be tiny on small devices like iPhones. For some reason neither Amazon or Apple seem to get this.
When Mavericks comes out, syncing EPUBs and PDFs are most definitely happening. The current form of iOS iBooks wouldn't allow that though, so it will come when iOS 7 launches.

At least in a perfect world, we would be able to use our 5GB of free space for that. You can make notes in those files though... (I'm not sure if those features work on the Kindle app as I've never tried)

As for margins... Well, iOS 7 is coming soon. It could happen.

P.S. Heh, font page worthy? I don't know... The CloudApp guys are probably going to go after me again for all that data I keep using.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Looking good. almost tempted to get back into the program and install it. I stopped after beta2, just got too annoyed. Wish I had two Macs I could play with.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Looking good. almost tempted to get back into the program and install it. I stopped after beta2, just got too annoyed. Wish I had two Macs I could play with.
Partition your hard drive. That's what I did. I'm using Mavericks exclusively though. I haven't logged into Mountain Lion since Beta 1 except to shrink it down a few weeks back. The stability in Safari is way too good.

And yeah, really enjoying iBooks. PDFs are opening up in Preview though. And it's pretty buggy when you try adding them in bulk. But then it's a beta.

Oh yeah, you can still sort manually by the way.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Partition your hard drive. That's what I did. I'm using Mavericks exclusively though. I haven't logged into Mountain Lion since Beta 1 except to shrink it down a few weeks back. The stability in Safari is way too good.

And yeah, really enjoying iBooks. PDFs are opening up in Preview though. And it's pretty buggy when you try adding them in bulk. But then it's a beta.

Oh yeah, you can still sort manually by the way.
I had Mavericks at b1 and 2 as my main OS, then installed it on an external drive. I don't have the time or inclination to swap between OSes... thats where I fell down. reformatted the drive and now just use it for storage as originally intended. So, I'm hoping that its going to be stable enough to use full-time, this time round.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Right. Well, it's been pretty good for me!

Converted a majority of my Amazon stuff to EPUB in Calibre this morning. I'm very surprised at how smooth it went as it was my first time using it. Took like 5 minutes.

So now I just have to organize all 160 of these books. That shouldn't be too hard since I can select multiple books all at once.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard

KACK! I think if I had registered just how far back I would have to go with installs, I might have not bothered. However, on the way now, and will maybe have it all completed by tomorrow night.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard

Hmm... Jessica, how are you managing with the fact that Calibre can no longer see iBooks books? I'm going to be using my online stores to access for iBooks but in the meantime, one is unable to use Calibre in the "old" way... by moving books in and out of iTunes, for the new iBooks app. GRiker is not installing the beta of Mavericks so there will be no solution for that right away. Got a workaround?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Hmm... Jessica, how are you managing with the fact that Calibre can no longer see iBooks books? I'm going to be using my online stores to access for iBooks but in the meantime, one is unable to use Calibre in the "old" way... by moving books in and out of iTunes, for the new iBooks app. GRiker is not installing the beta of Mavericks so there will be no solution for that right away. Got a workaround?
It's probably because they're in a different location.

/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/
Old 08-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Will this enable sync of any epubs between iPad and Mac, including highlights, annotations and so forth?
God I hope Kindle will play along...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
It's probably because they're in a different location.

/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/
Yes, I knew they were in a different location, just didnt know which one. I'm actually contemplating reverting to ML. I'm not that impressed with the books thing and thats pretty much all I wanted mavericks for, and its screwed Messages too, on my computer so really... nah. I'll see what happens when they get to release but right now, not that impressed, and TBH I HATE whats happened to Calendar. Thats the one skeuomorphic thing I liked.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
Wizard

I actually liked all the skeuomorphic too. Did it screw Messages? Hmm. I know that you have to re-add your e-mail addresses everytime you activate it.

But alright. It's not for everyone, I understand.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
I actually liked all the skeuomorphic too. Did it screw Messages? Hmm. I know that you have to re-add your e-mail addresses everytime you activate it.

But alright. It's not for everyone, I understand.
I can't even log in to Messages. anyway I sent in a BR and have now restored ML from my cloned drive. No loss. Think I'll give Mavericks a miss, entirely. I'm giving iOS7 a miss, so really... I'll just be doing what I do now