Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #31
iCowboy
Enthusiast
iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Great news, but what I (as a UK user) need, is for Sony either to open their store on the right-hand bank of the Atlantic or to let non-USians use their online store.

Sony officially co-branded with Waterstone's in the UK and a year on that eBook store is an embarrassment. It's difficult to browse, there's a crushingly limited selection which is frequently illogical (part 3 in a trilogy but not parts 1 and 2 - ???, loads of kids books - WTF???) and the prices are outrageous.

But one thumb up for making some progress.
iCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #32
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
That's alot of steps. You could do all this on your Mac, minus the Sony software which you don't really need if you use Calibre.
I know what you are saying pilotbob, but I worry about failing to remove DRM. Thanks to JSWolf's patient tutoring I have yet to find an ePub that I can't ultimately fix, but I find plenty that need work though - and I don't always have time immediately to do that.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #33
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That's alot of steps. You could do all this on your Mac, minus the Sony software which you don't really need if you use Calibre.

BOb
I never want to run Windows on My Apple. So this is good news for me I have to use Sony's driver to transfer books from Overdrive/Public Library to my Sony. Calibre doesn't work with .drm I found out. That is mainly what I wanted the Sony for too. Hurry up Sony!!!!

Last edited by new; 07-08-2009 at 03:50 PM.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I never want to run Windows on My Apple. So this is good news for me I have to use Sony's driver to transfer books from Overdrive/Public Library to my Sony. Calibre doesn't work with .drm I found out. That is mainly what I wanted the Sony for too. Hurry up Sony!!!!
Does Overdrive make you use specific software to d/l the file? Also, calibre does work with DRMed files to the point of being able to add them to the library and send to your device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #35
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does Overdrive make you use specific software to d/l the file? Also, calibre does work with DRMed files to the point of being able to add them to the library and send to your device.

BOb
Overdrive uses Adobe Digital Ed., then to transfer to my Sony I have to use Sony's driver for Windows only.

Yes I found out when I added drm .lrx free Sony books that it added it to Calibre and to my Sony reader, but it was locked, unable to open!!! I really am irritated with Sony right now.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Overdrive uses Adobe Digital Ed., then to transfer to my Sony I have to use Sony's driver for Windows only.
You do know that you can just copy the ADE books from your hard drive to your Sony without using ADE to transfer them, right?

Quote:
Yes I found out when I added drm .lrx free Sony books that it added it to Calibre and to my Sony reader, but it was locked, unable to open!!! I really am irritated with Sony right now.
That doesn't make sense. If the .lrx was encoded to your account which your Sony is registered to then you copy them to your reader it should work even if you don't use the Sony software to copy it. I know, I have done it.

BOb
Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #37
new

Quote:

That doesn't make sense. If the .lrx was encoded to your account which your Sony is registered to then you copy them to your reader it should work even if you don't use the Sony software to copy it. I know, I have done it.

BOb
Perhaps if I was using the Windows computer, but I only downloaded to the Sony elibrary with my account. I then transferred the .lrx to a flash drive. Then went to the Apple Computer to load into Calibre and transfer to the Sony.

I don't want to use the Windows computer much, and hope Sony does make the driver and Sony elibrary for the Apple.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #38
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

hmmm, maybe it is time to port rastafarian to the mac too...
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #39
davlewis
davlewis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I use Fusion with the Sony (stupid junk) software. Then using the shared folders under Fusion I copy the just purchased books from the Windows VM to my underlying Mac file system. Suspend the Fusion Windows VM, go open Calibre on the Mac, import the just purchased books from the OS X file system into Calibre, setup all of the stuff like book covers, ISBN, meta data, series and book number in a series and then import into the PRS-505.

If I can kill the whole Fusion VM side of the process and use the software on the Mac natively that would be cool.

The reason I call the Sony software stupid is that at least 50% of the books I purchase using the Sony software, when I double click on the book in the Sony software gives me an error that I need to buy the book first to open it, I JUST BOUGHT the freaking thing, that is how it is in my library. I end up letting the software try and download it again, and in some cases it will take up to three attempts before the book and license finally download and the book opens correctly. No other software on this machine (under the Fusion VM or native on the Mac) does anything like this, this is purely a bug in the Sony store/software and is very annoying.

Dave...
davlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #40
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutqueen View Post
About time. Although to be honest, I found all my workarounds, and very, very rarely buy from the Sony ebookstore except freebies and cheapies. OTOH, having coached some people through getting their Sony reader to work on their Macs, this will at least cut out a number of steps!

Do the Sony's freebies expire on my Sony elibrary? If I wait (til hell freezes over) for Sony to connect Macs will the freebies still be there?

How do you handle the Sony freebies on your Mac? Since you coached others, could coach me too?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:20 AM   #41
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
I believe the Sony Freebies were discontinued. I know mine expired before their one-year date was up.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:32 AM   #42
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would you switch back to Sony if they came out with a larger screen device with real PDF support?
Probably. I may still get a plasticlogic device too (would prefer wifi over cell-network)

I mean, come on, Sony supports EPUB!

Tim
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do the Sony's freebies expire on my Sony elibrary? If I wait (til hell freezes over) for Sony to connect Macs will the freebies still be there?
I think any book that is in your Sony eLibrary would stay there.

BOb
Old 07-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #44
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
The main question is:

Will I ever see support for my Amiga?
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:49 AM   #45
troutqueen
troutqueen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:

How do you handle the Sony freebies on your Mac? Since you coached others, could coach me too?
Mine haven't, but I've had these for less than a year. I was under the impression that Sony and the publisher offered them for free as a way to entice readers to a new author or series. Many of these free books were also offered on other sites (Naomi Novik's Temaire was one, as was TA Pratt's Blood Engine and Terry Brook's Magic Kingdom - Sold). When I bought them, I saw nothing about them expiring. Some are still available, but I'm not sure which ones or for how long.
troutqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mac, software, sony