Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-18-2015, 03:39 AM   #1276
orlok
Working Up To It
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7, Kobo glo
deleted
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #1277
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I am currently listening to Neal Stephenson's Seveneves. I am about eight hours in and I am enjoying it. Mary Robinette Kowal does a good job as a narrator, though her female voices are better than her male ones. I haven't read a book by Neal Stephenson in years but I decided I wanted this one because the first sentence intrigued me (and I have a weakness for disaster stories).

I am also listening to Rick Riordans The Throne of Fire, the second book in the Kane Chronicles. I have read this last year but didn't read the last book in the trilogy right away. When I saw the audiobook at the library, I just grabbed it. I must say they have found the perfect narrator for Carter Kane (Kevin R. Free), and Katherine Kellgren, who reads the part of Sadie Kane, can read the phone book to me anyway. Even though I have to admit that she is overdoing it a bit this time. Anyway, it's a lot of fun and perfect for catching up with the story before reading the last book (which is waiting for me on my Kindle).
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #1278
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
I am currently listening to Neal Stephenson's Seveneves. I am about eight hours in and I am enjoying it. Mary Robinette Kowal does a good job as a narrator, though her female voices are better than her male ones. I haven't read a book by Neal Stephenson in years but I decided I wanted this one because the first sentence intrigued me (and I have a weakness for disaster stories).

I am also listening to Rick Riordans The Throne of Fire, the second book in the Kane Chronicles. I have read this last year but didn't read the last book in the trilogy right away. When I saw the audiobook at the library, I just grabbed it. I must say they have found the perfect narrator for Carter Kane (Kevin R. Free), and Katherine Kellgren, who reads the part of Sadie Kane, can read the phone book to me anyway. Even though I have to admit that she is overdoing it a bit this time. Anyway, it's a lot of fun and perfect for catching up with the story before reading the last book (which is waiting for me on my Kindle).
I rather like the way they alternate between readers in that series. Both are good readers.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #1279
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I rather like the way they alternate between readers in that series. Both are good readers.
They are indeed. And as the books are supposed to be recordings anyway, they work extremely well as audiobooks.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #1280
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano, & a PC running Windows 9½.
Not really books, but new time old style radio. Yesterday I heard a couple of shows from the 10th and latest season of this.
WT Sharpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #1281
Autonomous
Autonomous began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
Just started listening to my first NF audiobook: The Last Battle by Cornelius Ryan, narrated by Simon Vance.
Autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #1282
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HDX 8.9, Fire HD8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished and enjoyed. This was a good series, reasonably well narrated. I'm now back to the Richard Sharpe series from Bernard Cornwell. The next one is "Sharpe's Rifles". The narrator has switched back to Frederick Davidson (David Case), who is always one of my favourite narrators.

The time is 1809, and Sharpe finds himself in command of the 95th Rifles in the Iberian Peninsula while the French are at the peak of their sweep of the Spanish army.
Excellent. A well written and researched novel, narrated by one of the best voices in the audio book business, David Case.

Next up, Chanur's Homecoming, read by Dina Pearlman. That should provide a break from Sharpe for a bit.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #1283
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, Fire HD 6
I'm listening to Persuader by Lee Child. I love the narrator, he does a great job with these books.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #1284
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Finished up Katherine Kurtz's The King's Justice in the car and John Ringo's Under a Graveyard Sky at work. I finished Jonathan Stroud's The Whispering Skull a week ago.

I've been a Kurtz fan for a long time and unfortunately only about half of her Deryni books are available as ebooks. The Histories of King Kelson is only available as audiobooks, so I've been listening to them after reading them a long time ago. I had totally forgotten what happened in them. I had one of those audio moments where the car trip ended just as the story was hitting the climax, so I pulled the book off the shelf to see if how Duncan escaped being burned at the stake. A good book and a good reader.

John Ringo is one of those author that seem to bring out the extremes in the fan base. Some hate him, others love him. I like him, but sometimes he can go a bit far for me. I think that he's grown a bit in the Black Tide Rising series, of which Under a Graveyard Sky is the first. It's an interesting take on zombies and I enjoyed both the book and the reader, though I'm not sure how authentic his Australian accent is. Another audio book well worth getting.

Stroud's The Whispering Skull was very good. I like the reader a lot and am a big fan of Stroud (he wrote the Bartimaeus series) There most certainly will be another book in the Lockwood & Co series, because he ended the book with a major cliff hanger. I do find it pretty odd that some of Stroud's books aren't available in ebook.

Right now, I'm listening to Tinker (on recommendation here) in the car and the second book of the Black Tide Rising at work. I've read both books as ebooks. I would have to say that the vast majority of audiobooks that I listen to are books that I've already read in dead tree or ebook.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #1285
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano, & a PC running Windows 9½.
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)

I just finished Life of Pi by Yann Martel and have come to two conclusions: (1) Pi r fascinating, and (2) If I ever get another cat, his name will absolutely positively have to be "Richard Parker".

This was a more difficult to believe tale than I anticipated (I mean, c'mon -- carnivorous islands?), but there is a big payoff awaiting those who suspend their credulity long enough to persevere to the end of the tale. I gave the story 5 stars at Audible. The narration by Jeff Woodman is excellent.
WT Sharpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #1286
Marrella
Cambrian crab

A couple of days ago, I finished The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan. Very enjoyable, the two alternating narrators were outstanding.

I am still listening to Seveneves by Neal Stephenson which I also enjoy. I have finally got to the part performed by Will Damron, Mary Robinette Kowal does nearly three quarters of the whole book.

While Stephenson is always a bit too detailed for my taste, Seveneves is a really interesting take on the disaster and post-apocalyptic novel.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #1287
orlok
Working Up To It
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7, Kobo glo
Just started Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz, and it is every bit as good as his previous foray into the Holmes canon, House of Silk. This is set around the events of Sherlock's death at the Reichenbach Falls, and tells the story of what "really" happened. Well read by Julian Rhind-Tutt, who for the most part is doing an American accent in the character of a Pinkerton agent, though I suspect he is really English, as his Holmes voice seems more authentic. Americans may find his accent less than believable...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations