Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #31
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I thought that the "no cell phones" rule was because it's frigging annoying to have someone yakking on their cell phone beside you.

As for "not having anything in your lap," I'm afraid that wouldn't work for me as mine is not detachable.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #32
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
It wouldn't matter whether its a wireless liseuse or not.
And my stewardess will soon find out if she talked to me a lot
Don't they call them hostesses nowadays?..
Well, given that *you* are discussing a wireless 'liseuse', instead of a real, working ereader...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #33
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Hey when it comes to flying, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Turning off my Kindle is a minor inconvenience to me if it's just during takeoff and landing. I'm sure they wouldn't enforce this rule if it didn't truly pose a risk to the functioning of the plane. I don't understand the physics of wireless waves, so i can't say for sure. But I mean, they even hand out iPads for you after the takeoff, so it's definitely not an issue that you use it except for takeoffs and landings.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #34
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Hey when it comes to flying, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Turning off my Kindle is a minor inconvenience to me if it's just during takeoff and landing. I'm sure they wouldn't enforce this rule if it didn't truly pose a risk to the functioning of the plane. I don't understand the physics of wireless waves, so i can't say for sure. But I mean, they even hand out iPads for you after the takeoff, so it's definitely not an issue that you use it except for takeoffs and landings.
...oh hey! Jetstar! I hadn't seen that one. I wonder what's on the iPads.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #35
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
It's better to be safe rather than sorry or DEAD! I simply turn whatever off until they give the all clear. It's not a big deal.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #36
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason for the rule is because of the way that mobile (cell) phones work; when they lose contact with a base station they increase their transmitter power in an attempt to reconnect - you've probably notice that if, for example, you're on a ship and out of contact with the network, your phone's battery will run flat very quickly. Imagine a plane with 400 phones on board, all transmitting a maximum power to attempt to contact a base station - that's a considerable amount of electrical interference to deal with.

Many European airlines do now permit mobile phones on board, and the way that they work is to have a base station on the aircraft itself, hence all the phones are working at minimum power, and there isn't the interference problem.
That makes complete sense. Except that we could use it as an argument to keep our phones ON during takeoff and landing on the assumption they would be happily contacting the nearest base station at those times

(no I am not being serious)
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #37
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
But, just for the sake of argument, it's really the wireless that's the problem, right? So if I turned off my wireless but left my kindle in sleep mode, that really wouldn't pose any danger to the plane.

I promise I'll be good and turn it off if they request it, just curious.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #38
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
But, just for the sake of argument, it's really the wireless that's the problem, right? So if I turned off my wireless but left my kindle in sleep mode, that really wouldn't pose any danger to the plane.

I promise I'll be good and turn it off if they request it, just curious.
this topic has actually really been done to death here . but given that there are always new people, and people just encountering these issues, we are here to please. the requirement for the turn off is more or less based on when most of these electronics were based on an older technology. your ebooks are not an issue unless they have been loaded with plastique.

I used to fly to a different city every week for work for a year and a half. I always had 2 laptops and 3 cellphones. I was invariably working on my work laptop until the very last minute prior to boarding. I had long ago gotten into the habit of just closing my laptop and not turning it off, so I continued to do that. suffice it to say that for a year and a half I flew with 2 laptops in sleep mode. nothing ever happened, nothing was detected. I still do it. my personal cell phone is one of these stupid touch ones, I finally realized that turning it off and putting it in my hip pocket was a no-go. it turns itself on. then it makes butt calls which of course I can't hear because I am sitting on it. this has happened several times on planes. now it flies in my cargo pocket.

my Kindle flies in my lap. when the flight attendants are walking up and down the aisle, I simply keep my Oberon cover closed loosely, all they see is an exquistely carved piece of leather, assume it may be a purse or a bible, we smile and nod, they carry on, I read.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #39
begem0t
begem0t began at the beginning.

Device: smartphone
Strange, it's if someone wants to be told "such and such flight has hone down because of a cellphone onboard". Than everyone can start complaining how unsafe aircraft are.

Ok, so here's some info. Besides the perfect explanation HarryT gave, I've read about a cases with *OLDER* devices (remember those big phones we once had?) actually messing-up the ILS approach system of the plane. Which meant the planes had to be landed visually, without the benefit of the navigational equipment.

So, next time you decide to keep your phone on, think what happens when the pilot is lining up for landing, looking at the displays in front of him, and suddenly some of his equipment goes crazy and shows the strip 2 miles to the left, and the height is suddenly 50 feet.... OK, most probably this want crash the plane, worst case he'll do a go-around and land safely, pilots are trained for emergencies, but do you really want to try this?
begem0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:29 AM   #40
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Just hold it inside a flight magazine when they come by.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I must admit that I do find this "the rules don't apply to me" attitude a little discouraging. I take the view personally that if you travel by air, you accept the "rules" that accompany air travel. It doesn't matter whether or not they make any sense; by choosing to fly, you are implicitly (and legally, for that matter) agreeing to abide by the rules.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #42
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Well Ive actually kept mine on without a problem and only once been asked to turn it
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #43
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must admit that I do find this "the rules don't apply to me" attitude a little discouraging. I take the view personally that if you travel by air, you accept the "rules" that accompany air travel. It doesn't matter whether or not they make any sense; by choosing to fly, you are implicitly (and legally, for that matter) agreeing to abide by the rules.
I'm not actually sure everyone knows some modern devices can be turned off in the first place - I had to show my mother how to turn off an ipod, and I had to explain to my otherwise decent with computers Nan that yes, laptops do shut down. Things with sleep modes can be a bit deceptive to the non-techy

And I don't think most people would refuse if the steward/stewardess actually asked them to turn something off.

Not saying there aren't people who would fib or whatever... but most people are generally alright.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #44
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I only recently returned from a holiday east with my wife. We both took our PDA's to read on the flight and only used them whilst allowed too. Best to comply with the normal procedure.

Qantas told me before we started holidays that it was preferable to turn devices off if convenient whilst take off and landing was under way.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #45
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Strikes me as a bit infantile, disrespectful, and selfish that people would ignore a benign and harmless rule like turning off electronics during a few minutes of a flight. There are plenty of better things to get offended by.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote