Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Bad Battery Experience

I have had a interesting phenomenon that occurred with my Sony reader over the last couple of days. This phenomenon leads me to believe that it was a bad battery, but I have since come to another conclusion. I hardly ever connect the Reader to a computer via USB because the device already has all of the books that I am interested in at this time. However on Sunday I connected the reader to perform a full DB sync/copy backup. Also On Sunday I started reading a new book which is “Pop Goes The Weasel” by James Patterson. This book was converted into LRF format using Bookdesigner program.

After disconnecting from the PC host, which was only used for the backup up of the reader I started reading the new book – Pop Goes The Weasel, but notice that my battery showed dead shortly after beginning this new book. The battery was already low prior to hooking up to the PC, it was down to one bar. I charged the battery until the reader indicator light went from Red to Off. The charge took a normal amount of time.

Once the unit was charged I again started reading the LRF book and the reader battery indicator depleted again in about 1 hour with my turning a max of maybe ten pages. I again charged the reader and after the charge I let it sit for approximately 1.5 hours and the battery again went dead. I reset the unit numerous times and still had the same issue.

I then downloaded the latest E-Book Library software and installed it, and did some cleanup of the E-book reader books that I had already read, and also some E-Book collection maintenance. During this process the E-book reader died and I lost all of the collections on the E-Book reader.

I again charged the reader, reset it and had the same issue the battery died within 1 hour although the reader was not even being used during this hour. I reset the reader, ordered two new battery via the infamous site mentioned in this forum, and charged the reader one last time, and called it the day. I figured that I would wait for the batteries to arrive on Thursday and then begin the battery replacement process.

I left the reader over night, and the next morning the battery was totally dead. Now for the really interesting part: On Monday I again charged the reader and left it charging for approx 4 hours (well past the red light going off). I also left the reader on the home page with no book selected for reading. 30 hours later the reader is still showing full bars. I have started to play with the reader again and it is still showing full bars and I have again selected the “Pop Goes The Weasel” book but not actually reading the book yet.

So the reader has gone from discharging the battery within 1 hour to now holding a charge for 36 hours+. Previously I had tried multiple USB brick charger which I had been using for the last two years on the Sony reader with no issue and it did not make a difference as far as diagnostics of the battery the battery issue since the issue persisted. I originally thought that the PC that I connected the reader to had somehow fried the e-reader charging circuit/battery or that there was something unique with the LRF book that was causing some type of back ground processing with the reader, but now I don’t believe either to be the case.

Therefore I’m not sure what was happing with the half dozen previous depletions of the battery in a given 24 hour day, but it appears that leaving the unit in a discharged status until the following day may have resolved the issue. I will still get the new batteries but probably won’t replace the battery anytime soon in the e-reader(I have two), but at the same time I never got the battery life claimed by Sony, although my battery life is inline with my fellow forum readers/contributors.

I guess the moral of this story is that I’m not sure if this is some type of bug with the e-reader, but if you encounter a similar experience keep at it to see if your luck will turn around as I did.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Very interesting and thanks for sharing. Let us know if the problem comes up again. I'm glad your problem appears to be resolved.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Just a FYI I received the two batteries from Batteryship and they did come with the tools for installation but did not come with instructions for replacing the battery in the reader device. My device is still holding a charge from the last charging (4 days ago) and approx 50 pages later. Fingers crossed.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote