Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #346
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I can't imagine having more than 20 books on an ereader. I have never understood the desire to carry your entire collection around with you. Ideally, I have about 10-15 of different types.
OK but that's personal for everybody. my total bookcollection is way more than 30.000 books, so 2500, in my case, is being pretty selective. I know that sounds ridiculous, but you should see my music & comic collection :-)
Every year I go to Thailand for at least 4 months so I need a lot of books.
I like many genres, and I like to have a lot of choice.
I never like the homemade software on things like this, so I get it over with as fast and as big as possible.
But my point is: when KOBO is bragging that their device can handle 32 GIGS of books, I expect them to come up with something workable instead of this...

does anybody know if they follow this forum? maybe there'll be a magical update soon??
Bookripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #347
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookripper View Post
OK but that's personal for everybody. my total bookcollection is way more than 30.000 books, so 2500, in my case, is being pretty selective. I know that sounds ridiculous, but you should see my music & comic collection :-)
Every year I go to Thailand for at least 4 months so I need a lot of books.
I like many genres, and I like to have a lot of choice.
I never like the homemade software on things like this, so I get it over with as fast and as big as possible.
But my point is: when KOBO is bragging that their device can handle 32 GIGS of books, I expect them to come up with something workable instead of this...

does anybody know if they follow this forum? maybe there'll be a magical update soon??
That makes sense...but there are computers in Thailand. :-)

Why not contact Kobo directly to let them know how you feel in case they aren't reading this?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #348
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That makes sense...but there are computers in Thailand. :-)

Why not contact Kobo directly to let them know how you feel in case they aren't reading this?
I already contacted them, I'm waiting for their reply, if it's anything substantial I will post it here.

I know there are computers in thailand. I have one in my appartment in Bangkok and I also always have a tablet and HDD's with me.
But why should I waste time in making tiny little collections when my device fits more books then I can ever read?

Follow me on this one:
If you have a 16 GIG mp3-player, but you can only put 2 GIGs of music on it or it starts crappin out, you would send it back and everybody would understand that. even though 16 gigs of music is roughly estimated 250 hours nonstop music. thats way too much for your average holiday or bike-ride or whatever it is you use the mp3 player for.
nevertheless, everybody understands your grief. but when I post a similar situation here with books, I get reactions like 'who needs 2000 books anyway". yeah, well apparently I do.... or I would have bought a 2-gig non-expandable memory E-reader for half the price this one costs me.

this software, for me, is inferior and does not live up to whats promised. I waited a very long time before buying an E-reader but apparently not long enough....

Grtz, Ripper
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #349
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Life is hard
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #350
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Well, I bought a Kobo Glo on Sunday, and I like it a lot, except for the search within book feature. For some reason, when you search and go to one of the pages that it finds the word you are looking for in, you can't bookmark. I have to search, pick one of the entries, exit search, bookmark, then search again, which is a long process. It seems to allow me to bookmark within the search when I hold to annotate and exit the annotation back to the search, but the bookmark doesn't stick.

There might be something I am missing here of course.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #351
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Organising a very large collection of books on e-readers is an issue for just about all of them, so now that Kobo have at least added shelves, it's hard to single them out, they all need to buck up their ideas..... well except for the Kindle as according to some folk they have minimal storage capabilities anyway so why should they bother!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #352
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
Well, I bought a Kobo Glo on Sunday, and I like it a lot, except for the search within book feature. For some reason, when you search and go to one of the pages that it finds the word you are looking for in, you can't bookmark. I have to search, pick one of the entries, exit search, bookmark, then search again, which is a long process. It seems to allow me to bookmark within the search when I hold to annotate and exit the annotation back to the search, but the bookmark doesn't stick.

There might be something I am missing here of course.
The fact that the annotation is not saved when you do it this way is a bug. You should report it to Kobo.

When I tried this, after doing the annotation (the way that isn't save), I couldn't get back to the search results. I think you are saying you could. How?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #353
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The fact that the annotation is not saved when you do it this way is a bug. You should report it to Kobo.

When I tried this, after doing the annotation (the way that isn't save), I couldn't get back to the search results. I think you are saying you could. How?
When I search a word, and the list of results come up, I can tap a result to go to that page, then hold down to highlight/look up words. Then, if I press the x in the bottom right corner, the bar will change and on the bottom left it will shows "results". At this time, and only at this time, I am able to tap the top right corner and the page fold (bookmark) will appear, however if I tap the "results" to go and look for more pages with my search term, the bookmark I made won't be saved. I will report it to Kobo.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #354
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookripper View Post
I am VERY disappointed in the poor options to categorize your books. I have over 2500 books, neatly arranged on my sd card, and when copied, it's just 1 long list. 575 pages with 5 books per page. sort by author, or by name. what is this, the flinstones???
If I spend a whole week, i can divide them into those shelves. which would still leave me with 500 SHELVES. that means 100 pages of shelves. = bullshit
whats wrong with an explorer-like treestructure?? If you cant come up with a program that can handle this, dont be bragging about expanding your device with a 30.000 book-capacity SD card.

I cant even imagine handling 500 books in an overseeable way on this device, leave alone 30.000

I have said it before, and you are right, they really must allow directory/folder browsing. Large collections are usually organised by their owners into a sensible file/directory hierarchical structure. To not be able to access the books this way, when directory browsing is part of every operating system natively, is very shortsighted. It is a very easy feature to add.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #355
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Life is hard
LOL first world problems eh?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #356
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
When I search a word, and the list of results come up, I can tap a result to go to that page, then hold down to highlight/look up words. Then, if I press the x in the bottom right corner, the bar will change and on the bottom left it will shows "results". At this time, and only at this time, I am able to tap the top right corner and the page fold (bookmark) will appear, however if I tap the "results" to go and look for more pages with my search term, the bookmark I made won't be saved. I will report it to Kobo.
OK, I see what you are doing, and it works like that for me.

The thing I did was that after selecting the word and the annotations bar was displayed at the bottom, I pressed the pencil icon and selected "Add Note". After entering the note and saving, it came back to the page with the annotation bar. Pressing the x closed this, but didn't display the search bar. I think this part is a design flaw rather than a coding bug. But it all should be reported so that Kobo can do something about it..
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #357
Fayth
Zealot

Yeah, if it isn't a bug, it is at least an oversight. I can't see this being the intended functionality.

EDIT: On another note, the black Glo is certainly a fingerprint/smudge magnet, and doesn't seem to clean very easily with a microfiber cloth either. Is the white one bad for this too? Not talking about the screen, just the enclosure.

Last edited by Fayth; 10-22-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #358
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Quote:
EDIT: On another note, the black Glo is certainly a fingerprint/smudge magnet, and doesn't seem to clean very easily with a microfiber cloth either. Is the white one bad for this too? Not talking about the screen, just the enclosure.
When I first saw the Touch last year at the FNAC shop, I noticed that, so choosed a white one and have never been too much bothered by finger prints. So at the begin of the month, I choosed a white Glo for the same reason and so far, same constat : curiously, the white one is less dirtyable than the black
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 AM   #359
Bookripper
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
LOL first world problems eh?
here are some more first world problems:

- so I started making shelves per category and series (example: terry pratchett's discworld (over 30 books). in explorer the books are numbered and in order. when I make a shelve and copy them in the shelve, the appear totally out of reading order. this is plain RIDICULOUS. they want us to make 1 shelve per book and number them, or what?? they didnt test stuff like this? disgraceful.

- device crashes: 2
- my testbook all of a sudden had a "DRM-expiration", whatever that is, and was not accessible any more, even though the book has no DRM-protection (after re-adding it to the device it worked again
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #360
Bookripper
Connoisseur

Quote:
Life is hard
compared to getting this piece of [@#[ organised, life is peachy!