Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Black bar on Glo randomly disappears?

I recently received a Glo as a gift from a generous family member in Montreal (a couple of days before Powell's, which is within driving distance for me, began selling them!), and so far I'm enjoying all the improvements over my old Touch, especially the light.

I have noticed one issue, and I don't know whether I'm doing something wrong, or whether this is a known issue with the 2.1.5 firmware. I like the black bar at the bottom of the screen (the one that hides the slight unevenness of lighting), but I find I can't predict when it will be on or off. I do have it configured to display as "solid" in Settings, but it disappears at random times while the light is on.

It almost always disappears when I wake the Glo from sleep mode, and sometimes it returns when I "do something", such as change a setting or interact with the interface in some other way, but apart from that, I can't predict it.

I'd like it on all the time. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there anything I can do about it other than wait for a firmware upgrade?

Apart from that, love my Glo.

Thanks.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Happens to me from time to time. Doesn't really bother me since I switch from dark to clear every once in a while anyway, but I believe the simplest workaround is to just turn the light off and back on.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
Happens to me from time to time. Doesn't really bother me since I switch from dark to clear every once in a while anyway, but I believe the simplest workaround is to just turn the light off and back on.
Hey, elegant workaround! Thanks so much.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
Same here. The black bar disappears sometimes. It will reappear indeed by turning light on/off, or calling up the bottom menu and closing it.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I hope that all those little glitches we hear about the Glo here and there are software related (and not hardware) so that eventually they can be fixed thru firmware updates.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #6
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
It only happens with me when I turn my Glo off with the light on. When I turn it back on, no black bar.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar, black, glo