Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Enjoying a book, but can't get into it?

I just finished reading Catch-22. Finally! Surprised by how long it took. Mostly because even though I was really enjoying it, and it made my laugh aloud more than once, I just couldn't get into it. It wasn't a page turner. It was far too easy to read a few screens and put it down.

Strange paradox... anybody else experience that with any other books?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
often. some books just grab you and reading them becomes an addiction. many are good but i don't feel that "i've gotta see what happens!" compulsion. i can read a really good 700 page novel in half the time it takes to read a merely good 350 page one.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
That's happening with me right now with The Stranger's Child which I have had to borrow twice and I'm still about 140 pages from the finish. There are some parts I really enjoyed but I find some of the chapters to be far too long. One night, I just couldn't take it take anymore and stopped halfway through a chapter. I almost always try to stop at a chapter.

Still, I want to know the end and thus I'm sticking with it. I'm a little miffed about why it's gotten acclaim and am hoping the conclusion will fantastic...
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I just finished reading Catch-22. Finally! Surprised by how long it took. Mostly because even though I was really enjoying it, and it made my laugh aloud more than once, I just couldn't get into it. It wasn't a page turner. It was far too easy to read a few screens and put it down.

Not exactly for the same reason, but that's how i felt when i tried to read on my iPad. I become distracted and kept checking email, and MR etc. When I switched to a Kindle, I could became immersed in a book again. Anything different about your reading environment?
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
Quote:

I would say this is true of any Pynchon book I've ever read. They have flashes of brilliance, but can be quite a long slog.
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Yep, this happens to me often.

I started The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake mid-December, and I'm still plowing through it. I have completed about ten other books during this time.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I had the same problem when I read Catch-22.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Catch-22 can be a little disturbing at times. You catch yourself laughing at things you know better than to laugh at, and some that are or might be against your beliefs. Add in the really funny and bad sarcasm in it. You just can't help it - at times it is written so badly that it makes it really enjoyable. I did have to read it in 11th grade in school, because some student suggest that we should, and the teacher not knowing anything about the book, allowed it. Boy did she have to stick her foot in her mouth afterwards. But we as the students got a good experience out of it.

If you liked Catch-22, try On the Road by Jack Kerouac - very disturbing and strange, but in a different way.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've had a couple books like that. The most recent one was "Deathbringer" by Bryan Smith. A friend recommended it, and so I picked it up.

God, I slogged through that one. When I got to the end, I enjoyed it a great deal more in retrospect. But, man, it was a trying process to get there.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

That one, I think my start to end time was a little over a year
Hawaii was another book that took many months.

Many books I read are finished in a day or 2. That should give you a scale on my reading consumption.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
At the moment I'm reading Gideon's Corpse, by Preston and Child. I'm about 40 pages from the end and I'm having trouble just sitting down and reading. Maybe I'm afraid I'll be disappointed (the hero will have more harrowing experiences that make me cringe) or maybe I'm afraid that it will end so well that I can hardly wait for the next one which will probably take a year to come out, and economically and geophysically I don't think we have a year... (watch out for March...).

But I better finish the ebook as the authors are appearing at our local library tonight. It's only 4 blocks away and there doesn't seem to be any good excuse (like bad weather) to keep me from going... Hmm, how do I explain that I don't have anything for them to sign? I usually get their books from the library's sale room, read them and give them back to resell, or recently I have downloaded ebooks. Oh, well, we'll save some ink
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyS View Post
Hmm, how do I explain that I don't have anything for them to sign? I usually get their books from the library's sale room, read them and give them back to resell, or recently I have downloaded ebooks. Oh, well, we'll save some ink
You should have bought an ereader that allows annotating with a stylus and have them write in your ebook.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I've been dealing with that with The Night Circus. Everybody told me how great it was so I paid the $12 or whatever it was, and it is good and all, but it isn't catching me and making me want to keep reading.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
That's happening with me right now with The Stranger's Child which I have had to borrow twice and I'm still about 140 pages from the finish. There are some parts I really enjoyed but I find some of the chapters to be far too long. One night, I just couldn't take it take anymore and stopped halfway through a chapter. I almost always try to stop at a chapter.

Still, I want to know the end and thus I'm sticking with it. I'm a little miffed about why it's gotten acclaim and am hoping the conclusion will fantastic...
I'm having EXACTLY the same experience with this book. Started on December 31, presently about a third of the way through. I can see why The Sense of an Ending beat this out for the Man Booker.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
For me, some books are send-you-to-sleep, some are keep-you-awake, most are somewhere inbetween. It isn't so much the plot, it's more down to the writing style and whether I can relate to any of the characters.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote