Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-11-2007, 05:57 AM   #16
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I have a cell phone but it is prepaid.

In my opinion it is an insult if a phone company wants 50 usd every month. In fact it´s even more than the 1799 usd (think about the interests ...).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:02 AM   #17
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

some short question about the iphone ...

Do you have to sign the contract after you bought the iPhone (with some kind of activation)? Or do you just get the device and you have to activate it?

If you don´t have to sign it at the same time you´re buying it you could just activate it for yourself =) ... without that damned contract ===).
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 01:53 AM   #18
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
This business of adding the price of the contract with the phone company is pretty misleading... how much would the contract cost for any other smartphone (or able-to-navigate phone)? Is it more expensive? How much more? In which case, multiply the difference by 12 months to find out the total expense of the iPhone. ALL phones have a "running cost".

Anyway, 600 dollars isn't that much, you know... I work in the telecomm area of our IT dept., and I spend all day getting smartphones for our directives; an HTC TyTn is more expensive than the iPhone, for example, and we already have several in our company, and my boss (among others) pays around $50 monthly fees, 'cause he has "flat rate", although it's limited to 1Gb, hehe. I think the real hullabaloo is because most people weren't really looking at phones in that price range until the iPhone showed up.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:37 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Dear MobileRead(ers)

The person presented as the VP iRex Technologies China in this posting is not (and never was) an employee of iRex Technologies.

Also the information present in this posting is not inaccurate, as most of you already noticed.

I hope this helps to put this post into perspective and if any of you have questions about this, than I am more than happy to answer your questions on our discussion boards.

Regards
Karel
The article does have a number pf things that aren't correct. So how did the person get interviewed since he is not an employee?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #20
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Do you have to sign the contract after you bought the iPhone (with some kind of activation)? Or do you just get the device and you have to activate it?
You do not have to sign a contract to buy an iPhone from an Apple store (mortar or online).

BUT...The iPhone is a brick without activation (i.e. a contract).

When you buy an iPhone from Apple, you only buy and purchase the phone itself.

When you take the iPhone out of the box and turn it on, the ONLY thing you can do with it is call 911 (make an emergency call). It has no iPod features or anything else until you activate it.

When you connect the iPhone to your computer, iTunes launches and it walks you through selecting a plan:
1. It asks who you are (if you already have an iTunes account, it already knows)
2. it gives you options to transfer an existing AT&T account--provided its not a business account, only "personal" accounts can be used on an iPhone--, transfer a number from another phone company, or create a brand new account and number
3. it asks you how many minutes you want, and how many text messages (it has an easy to read chart with features and prices)
4. then, after about two minutes, the phone is activated, and the number is assigned to your iPhone.

This is probably my fifth cell account, and the by-far easiest "activation" ever!

Quote:
If you don´t have to sign it at the same time you´re buying it you could just activate it for yourself =) ... without that damned contract ===).
Well, like I said above, you don't have to buy the contract at the Apple Store, and you do activate it yourself, but the "activation" is the "contract," so I am not sure what you are asking here.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #21
ig88
Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaHuguet View Post
Anyway, 600 dollars isn't that much, you know... I work in the telecomm area of our IT dept., and I spend all day getting smartphones for our directives; an HTC TyTn is more expensive than the iPhone,
As an iPhone owner, I can say the iPhone is definitely worth $600.00--It is one of those things that the TL is more than the sum of its parts... You can read the reviews, you can watch the demos online, but until you have this thing and use it, you don't fully realize its value, much of which is interface and useability.
Maybe some would say the same about the iLiad? There are other devices that do simialr things that the iLiad does and are cheaper. Are they the same (mine is a day a way via UPS, so I cannot comment definitively).?

or TiVo? There are other devices that do similar things that a TiVo does for less money. But they are defintely not the same (I have a TiVo Series III).

The iPhone is the same thing. (That is not to say the the next version is going to be a lot better, and there are things about the iPhone that I wish worked differently, many of which can be changed in software updates, some will require new hardware.) But, judging by these forums, that can be said for the iLiad as well--although I think the iPhone v1 was a little closer to the target mark! I bought an iPhone, and ditched my Treo 700p, and even though in some ways the Treo 700 does more, I wouldn't even think of going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaHuguet View Post
for example, and we already have several in our company, and my boss (among others) pays around $50 monthly fees, 'cause he has "flat rate", although it's limited to 1Gb, hehe. I think the real hullabaloo is because most people weren't really looking at phones in that price range until the iPhone showed up.
ALL iPhone plans included UNLIMITED data. (Although it is on the slower EDGE network).
Old 07-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
Maybe some would say the same about the iLiad? There are other devices that do simialr things that the iLiad does and are cheaper.
No there aren't.

I know no other ebook reader with eink technology which has the 768x1024 resolution. Do you?

But to be fair you cannot compare the iPhone with the iLiad .. for the iPhone you have to pay over 1.7 kilo $ (you need a mobile phone contract).

I also think that the iLiad is overpriced. But still I pay the price once and I don't have to pay every month for the next 24 months ...
Old 07-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #23
ig88
Gadget Guy

Quote:
No there aren't.

I know no other ebook reader with eink technology which has the 768x1024 resolution. Do you?
I said similar, and you missed the point.

My comment is in response to someone who asked who would buy an iPhone when you can get something simialr for much less.

To me the there is nothing out there that is the SAME as an iPhone, but as per the iPhone versus similar phone statement in a previous post, there are devices that are SIMILAR to the iLiad that cost considerably less.

So the who would buy an iPhone argument could be changed to, who would buy an iLiad.

Quote:
But to be fair you cannot compare the iPhone with the iLiad ..
I wasn't. I was comparing the ARGUMENT of who would buy an iPhone (it was too expensive compared to other phones) to people who buy iLiads when they can get cheaper eReaders.

Quote:
for the iPhone you have to pay over 1.7 kilo $ (you need a mobile phone contract).
Not 100% true. If you have bad credit, or spoof the online registration system, AT&T will give you an alternate plan that does not require a contract.

Granted, that is not the "normal" way, and they certainly don't advertise that.

Quote:
I also think that the iLiad is overpriced. But still I pay the price once and I don't have to pay every month for the next 24 months ...
I think you missed the point of my posts, but I think I clarified that now.

By the way, I have both an iPhone and an iLiad, and I don''t think of them as the same device at all.