Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast
cloudyvisions is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Question Error when trying to open Ebook Viewer, won't show stories

Hi,

I have been trying to open up my PDF files in the Calibre viewer, and everytime I try I get one of two results. It seems like it's just the PDF files because the LIT files I have open perfectly.

I either have it come up saying "Loading ebook" and then the hourglass just keeps turning and turning with no change.

But usually, I get this error:

'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xfe in position 125: unexpected code byte
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py", line 545, in load_ebook
self.next_document()
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py", line 563, in next_document
self.load_path(self.iterator.spine[self.current_index+1])
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py", line 457, in load_path
self.view.load_path(path, pos=pos)
File "calibre/gui2/viewer/documentview.pyo", line 371, in load_path
File "encodings/utf_8.pyo", line 16, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xfe in position 125: unexpected code byte

And if I hit "OK" then it says "Laying Out (story title here)" and won't load.

I have a Mac running 10.5.6 and haven't had the program very long, but don't understand what is going on. I tried the FAQ and searching through this forum with no answer.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Other than this problem, I absolutely love this program!
cloudyvisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
opena ticket and attach open of these PDF files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert