Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Sorry to inform you but tax dodging is the standard operating procedure of ALL major corporations!

Look no further than cruise lines, thousands of cruises leave from the USA but not ONE ship is registered in the USA.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
That may be so, but there is no need for me to buy my books from a "major corporation". My local bookshop will do.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Sorry to inform you but tax dodging is the standard operating procedure of ALL major corporations!

Look no further than cruise lines, thousands of cruises leave from the USA but not ONE ship is registered in the USA.
And also the standard operating procedure of ALL individuals. Unless they are totally dumb.

And in the case given by you --- I am sure it would be a good idea to register the ships in the US and charge double for the cruises. That would really bring in the guests.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #19
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
I seriously dislike Amazon for the dodgy tax deal they made with Luxembourg. The price for the end customer is the same, with Amazon pocketing the 16% difference in VAT. Tax dodging seems to be one of the foundations of their business model. Apart from that Amazon is mostly creating crap jobs, poorly paid warehouse slaves and exploited delivery people. The kicking Amazon got in the national media for their poor employment conditions wasn't nearly as bad as they deserved.
I almost never buy books from them. I appreciate that my city of 300,000 still has at least a dozen bookshops, most of them independently owned. That is where I get my books; same price as Amazon + overnight delivery and maintaining decent jobs in the community.
Minister Book Propaganda hooked you into Matrix
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post

Tax evasion and tax avoidance are two different things. One is illegal, and the other is right, moral and totally legal in the eyes of the US Supreme Court. Nothing wrong in legally using the infrastructure to your advantage when you can. It would be kind of stupid not to do so, in my opinion.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #21
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
That may be so, but there is no need for me to buy my books from a "major corporation". My local bookshop will do.
Unless your local bookshop sells only used books, you are buying them from a major corporation with a few layers of middleman involved. (Technically, that's true even if they're used, but for used books, you're not paying the major corporation. When you buy new, you're giving money to the publisher.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Unless your local bookshop sells only used books, you are buying them from a major corporation with a few layers of middleman involved. (Technically, that's true even if they're used, but for used books, you're not paying the major corporation. When you buy new, you're giving money to the publisher.)
And those corporations rely on sub-contracted warehouses using minimum wage labor as one of their many tax avoidance strategies. Publishers? They have their own catalog of tricks for tax avoidance like... swiss subsidiaries...
No money-grubbing multinational is any saintlier than another--the main difference is in how they treat the paying customer.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Tax evasion and tax avoidance are two different things. One is illegal, and the other is right, moral and totally legal in the eyes of the US Supreme Court. Nothing wrong in legally using the infrastructure to your advantage when you can. It would be kind of stupid not to do so, in my opinion.
I agree 100%. Very few people pay more than they have to when Tax Time comes around.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #24
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I agree 100%. Very few people pay more than they have to when Tax Time comes around.
Apache
Whoa good buddy!

I pay more than I have to. I don't cheat.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #25
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Paying only what you have to is by definition not cheating.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #26
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Whoa good buddy!

Really, you actually pay in more than you are required by law?

To those that like to whine and complain about corporations like Amazon who don't pay enough taxes I suggest that you contact your law makers. They are the ones who write such byzantine tax codes.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:54 AM   #27
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
I seriously dislike Amazon for the dodgy tax deal they made with Luxembourg. The price for the end customer is the same, with Amazon pocketing the 16% difference in VAT. Tax dodging seems to be one of the foundations of their business model.
I think it's completely silly to blame Amazon for paying all the tax it's to pay. Luxembourg is in the EU; if there is a problem with Amazon paying their tax rate, the problems is either with Lux. or with the EU.
Quote:

Apart from that Amazon is mostly creating crap jobs, poorly paid warehouse slaves and exploited delivery people.
I know that there were problems with a subcontractor in Germany, but, seriously - slaves? Exploited delivery workers? It sounds like you believe that working itself is an imposition.
[quote]

The kicking Amazon got in the national media for their poor employment conditions wasn't nearly as bad as they deserved.
Quote:

I almost never buy books from them. I appreciate that my city of 300,000 still has at least a dozen bookshops, most of them independently owned. That is where I get my books; same price as Amazon + overnight delivery and maintaining decent jobs in the community.
Of course paying the same price and getting overnight delivery make it much easier to avoid using Amazon; paying $20 more and waiting 3-6 weeks makes not using Amazon more difficult here.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote