Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
chirprc
chirprc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-300, Kindle (2nd Gen), Nook
Anything I need to watch for?

I don't know if this is the right place to put this or not, but I figured since it was people with a Kindle (I hope) that maybe they would help me out. I have an opportunity to purchase a Kindle for a relatively good price. The person says it was rarely used, have no blemishes and has been de-registered. Anything I need to know to look for in buying a used Kindle?
chirprc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Having just purchased a Kindle 2 (this one for my wife) from a forum member, I'd recommend purchasing from someone that you consider to be trustworthy. (Having a good reputation here or on an online auction site is helpful in making this decision).

My purchase was completed without a hitch and the unit was as described by the member. I was able to register the Kindle to the same account as my own and begin loading books to the unit immediately upon receipt.

I would just ensure that the seller stands behind the unit in the event that you aren't happy for some reason. (If you are using PayPal, paying with a credit card rather than your bank funds will allow you some protection you wouldn't have otherwise in the event of a problem or misrepresentation.)

Good luck with your purchase. Once received just turn on the wireless and make sure you "synch" the unit to ensure you get any software updates or downloads. You can also add some personal information to help others contact you in the event you misplace the Kindle.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
There are not many things that go wrong with the Kindle. There may be some smudges from constant use but as long as all the buttons work and are in good shape then you should be good to go.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Will you get your hands on it before you buy? Fiddle with the settings and make sure the screen responds. You also have a decent chance that the battery in it won't be crash hot (who knows if they power cycled it or how much they used it), so prepare for a new battery.

But yeah they are pretty hardy, check the screen for cracks, make sure every button works. Good luck!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Check reading in the bright sunlight to make sure it doesn't have the fade issues reported by some.

Ask if there is any time left on the warranty...it increases the security in case there are any issues (assuming its not due to accident/misuse).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert