Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #16
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Not too happy with Kobo, they are like the Apple Inc of the reader industry.

Simple design, simple interface and no features. I hate it, especially it PDF capability. which is almost useless.

Oh, did I mention Kobo Aura HD has no buttons, nope it's no button except the power and light button. Good luck turning pages.

Get the Onyx T68
Kobo, like most e-ink devices, including those from Kindle and Nook, is not designed for reading PDF files. It can do it, but it's really not designed for it. It is primarily intended for reading e-books in the epub or Kobo's own kepub format, and to that end it excels. It has a simple interface only because a dedicated e-reader does not need a complex interface, and, in fact, it's probably better if it doesn't have one when all you want to do is read a book. However, to say that it doesn't have features is incorrect. The reading experience is highly configurable, allowing the user to choose margin width, justification, line spacing, font size, and around a dozen built-in typefaces, plus the ability to easily add more.

While it's true that the Kobo Aura HD doesn't have page-turning buttons, you can easily turn pages by swiping the screen, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "Good luck turning pages." I've owned a Kobo Touch with an infrared touchscreen for several years and now own a Kobo Aura with a capacitative touchscreen, and I have had no problem with page turns on either device.

The Onyx might be a good choice if someone is looking for an e-ink tablet, but it wouldn't be my first recommendation to someone looking for a dedicated e-reader.

Finally, I'm fairly certain you intended your statement that Kobo is the "Apple Inc of the reader industry" as an insult, but I think most people would read that as glowing praise given Apple's reputation for making innovative and high-quality products with intuitive interfaces.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Well I am still have to going to disagree with most of you here. Kobo HD is 6.8 inches, Sony 350 is 5 inches.

If you want to read just epub, it makes so sense in choosing the 6.8 over the 5.

The 6.8 is less portable, more lines and words per line on a page. Not ideal for reading novels.

Now PDF, the best is 10 inches or so.

So the 6.8 inch is like jack of all trade it's not the best for epud nor pdf, but it's not the worst either.

And when I said "good luck with page turning", I'm talking about page turning of PDF files while zoomed in.

It's ridiculous on the Aura HD, you have to swipe to the side.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
What lol?

If PDF is not really an eBook format, then that is?? Epub?

What would I want Aura HD to read epub?? That's just crazy.

If I want to read a novel, than I would choose a small and like ereader, something that's less than 5 inches. Why would any want HD screen to read a novel.
I suggest you look at how big the pages of the average paperback are, let alone a hardcover or trade paperback. To me my Aura HD is not large enough, and my 9.7" Kindle DXG a tad too large. I'm waiting for the upcoming 8" Onyx Boox i86 to hit the sweet spot.

And sure, you can read reflowable formats like epub or azw3 easily-ish on smaller screens (I started with mobis on an 3.2" 160x160 Palm Vx, ouch), but just like I dislike tiny booklets for my fiction, I don't like tiny screens either.

And to read PDFs comfortably (read: no fiddling with margins, landscape orientation and stuff like that), you need something that's at least the size of a full hardcover page (that's roughly where the 9.7" readers fall) at best, and A4/US Letter sized at worst (the 13.3" stuff, if they ever materialize, will do that).

But to each his own. If you like a 4-5" screen for your reading, you're not alone in that. Lots of people use smartphones that size for reading, or something like the Kobo Mini or the Sony 350 you have. I tried reading on my 5" smartphone, and went back to my Aura HD in a hurry. But I must admit that it was more the aspect ratio of the screen than the size. Phones are 16:9 and books/ereaders are 4:3, making phones feel too narrow to me.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #19
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And when I said "good luck with page turning", I'm talking about page turning of PDF files while zoomed in.

Which, again, brings us back to the fact that Kobo makes dedicated e-readers that are not well-suited for reading PDF files. If your primary interest is PDF then Kobo (and for that matter Kindle and Nook) is not the e-reader for you.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #20
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
While it's true that the Kobo Aura HD doesn't have page-turning buttons, you can easily turn pages by swiping the screen, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "Good luck turning pages."

watch from 7:00

kobo = fail
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

kobo = fail
In that video at 7:00, the presenter holds up a Kindle which is asleep and demonstrates that the page doesn't turn if you touch the screen. Of course it doesn't - you have to turn it on first!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:

kobo = fail
Are you referring to the part where he holds up a Kindle? Not to mention that it's hilarious that he's trying to demonstrate how difficult it is to hold the Kindle with one hand and turn pages while his demonstration appears to show the exact opposite (also, why is he doing it with the Kindle in sleep mode?). Personally, I have absolutely no problem with holding my Kobo with one hand and turning the page with my thumb as shown in the video. It seems that the guys in the video just like physical page-turn buttons and are trying to "prove" their superiority with spurious reasoning.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 07-25-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Are you referring to the part where he holds up a Kindle?
A Kindle which is not actually turned on, moreover. It would work a lot better if he were to switch it on . Unbelievable!

Can you elaborate, FW, which point you believe this illustrates? That a Kindle doesn't respond to screen touches unless you turn it on, perhaps?

Last edited by HarryT; 07-25-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #24
FinancialWar
Banned

@Harry

It's obviously he was demonstrating the physical button vs screen button and hand positioning. Whether the kindle was on or not is kind of irrelevant. I don't know if you truly did not get that or just playing dumb.

Physically button is more tactile than flat screen. It's not a personally preference, it's a fact.

Keyboard is better typing than a software keyboard on a tablet.

Button for page turning is better than swiping, especially with one hand.

I have how the T68 have the buttons on the edge, meaning that it's even easier to operate with one hand.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 07-25-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
@Harry

It's obviously he was demonstrating the physical button vs screen button and hand positioning. Whether the kindle was on or not is kind of irrelevant. I don't know if you truly did not get that or just playing dumb.
No, he appeared to be attempting to demonstrate how difficult it is to turn the page of a device that was not switched on. And I honestly don't see what this illustrates about the Kobo. There is no Kobo in the entire video, as far as I can see.

Having owned and used pure touchscreen devices for some years, your whole point about them being difficult to use rather escapes me.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well I am still have to going to disagree with most of you here. Kobo HD is 6.8 inches, Sony 350 is 5 inches.

If you want to read just epub, it makes so sense in choosing the 6.8 over the 5.

The 6.8 is less portable, more lines and words per line on a page. Not ideal for reading novels.

Now PDF, the best is 10 inches or so.

So the 6.8 inch is like jack of all trade it's not the best for epud nor pdf, but it's not the worst either.

If you have the need for larger text on screen, then a larger screen is definitely better then a smaller screen. A Kobo Aura HD is much better then a Sony 350 if you need to have larger text on screen. Also, the fact that the Kobo allows you to sideload your choice of font means you can pick fonts that you will feel comfortable using.

As for the swipe, that's actually a good thing. A press has more chance of leaving a visible fingerprint then a swipe. A swipe is kind of a wipe of the screen. Also, it means if you have dust on the screen, you can swipe it away as you turn the page. It's a win-win.

One of the reasons to get an eInk reader is for the larger screen size. A number of cell phones these days are about 5" and some people want larger. The Aura HD is larger and it gives more text on screen at one go. More text on screen equals less page turns and less page turns equals longer battery between charges.

Yes, the Aura HD is less portable then a Kobo Mini. But, a lot of people have bags they carry that would easily fit the Aura HD. I measured my smaller bag that I sometimes carry with me and it will fit the Aura HD no problem.

I'm waiting to see what comes out later this year before I get a new Reader. I want something with a larger screen and for right now, It's looking like the Aura HD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #27
FinancialWar
Banned

different weapon for different warriors. Kobo Aura HD was not cup of tea. I'll be trying the T68 next, if I like it I'm selling the M92.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
different weapon for different warriors. Kobo Aura HD was not cup of tea. I'll be trying the T68 next, if I like it I'm selling the M92.

Make certain that you post in the correct forum, please, if you decide to sell it. The correct forum is the Flea Market.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #29
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Having owned and used pure touchscreen devices for some years, your whole point about them being difficult to use rather escapes me.
Agreed.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #30
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
It's obviously he was demonstrating the physical button vs screen button and hand positioning.
The problem is that his claim that a touchscreen e-reader is difficult to operate with one hand contradicts the visuals where he demonstrates how easy it is to operate a touchscreen e-reader with one hand.

Quote:
Physically button is more tactile than flat screen. It's not a personally preference, it's a fact.
It's objectively true that physical buttons offer tactile feedback. Whether or not this makes physical buttons better than a touchscreen is entirely subjective. For the simple task of turning the page on an e-reader, I find that a touchscreen works perfectly and offers reliable operation. For other tasks, I might prefer physical buttons.

Now what I can't understand is that if physical buttons are so important to you then why'd you buy an e-reader that doesn't have them?