Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #16
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I'd be overjoyed if the Aust price was the same in Aust dollars as it is in USD. Here in Australia the T1 goes for $179 and our $ gets about $1.04 USD at the moment.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 AM   #17
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
While we are at it, could someone explain why oil price on London stock exchange is 15$ higher than in New York?
Probably because we have fuel duty as well as VAT and God-knows-how-many other hidden taxes on fuel in the UK.
Somebody has to pay for the £billions a year that we donate to our "friends" in Brussells
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #18
Renji
Connoisseur
Renji began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story WiFi, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I'd be overjoyed if the Aust price was the same in Aust dollars as it is in USD. Here in Australia the T1 goes for $179 and our $ gets about $1.04 USD at the moment.
Likewise, if the price dropped here in Aus, I would not hesitate to buy one, I mean $30 might not seem like a big difference in discount, but it does count when you see the other country getting the discount and not being applied here.

Love my iRiver, but if it drops I'm heading for the Sony store or Myers in a heartbeat!!
Renji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Many of our stores are national. And many times the manufacturers suggested price is on the packaging of the product. It would be too impractical and expensive to pricemark every item locally. That would make national advertising campaigns difficult. We are used to adding sales tax in our head. Just add on ten percent and you're close enough - adjust accordingly.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
In Holland we pay 149 Euro = $ 205,44 .
That's almost just as bad as the Britisch.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #21
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
When I bought mine the Canadian dollar was stronger than the US$. It cost me $20 more here at home that it would down south. The US has the largest competitive market. All companies charge what the market will pay.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
we like to psyche ourselves out. See, for example, the whole strategy of pricing things at $139.99 rather than $140. I'm sort of kidding about that, but not entirely. Personally, I hate 1cent pieces and wish we would deal only in 10 and 50c pieces (it makes counting your change a lot easier.. ) but that comes of having lived in a country where it was like that.
I think the pricing strategy applies to most countries, a great deal of things here in the UK are priced just below a whole number. Fuel is a classic example where petrol and diesel are always XXX.9 pence per litre.

And whilst this works fine in the UK where that is the price you pay surely it falls down in the US where the $139.99 suddenly becomes more when you apply the sales tax.

The best country I have ever been to is Egypt. They only ever use paper money and the smallest denomination is 1 Egyptian Pound so everything is priced in whole pounds. Admittedly at the time an Egyptian pound was only worth about 10 pence ($0.15)
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #23
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
While we are at it, could someone explain why oil price on London stock exchange is 15$ higher than in New York?
Probably because the LSE is listing Brent Crude whereas the New York Exchange might be Light Sweet Crude, different product.

But that's only a guess.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #24
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Many of our stores are national. And many times the manufacturers suggested price is on the packaging of the product. It would be too impractical and expensive to pricemark every item locally. That would make national advertising campaigns difficult. We are used to adding sales tax in our head. Just add on ten percent and you're close enough - adjust accordingly.
I see your point, looks like I'll just have to stick with the calculator.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #25
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
Likewise, if the price dropped here in Aus, I would not hesitate to buy one, I mean $30 might not seem like a big difference in discount, but it does count when you see the other country getting the discount and not being applied here.

Love my iRiver, but if it drops I'm heading for the Sony store or Myers in a heartbeat!!
I noticed it is being sold in either Target or Kmart now too, can't remember which. I'm waiting until the post Christmas sales as I think there will be some price drop then, maybe below $150 which would be nice. Also that might give time for a firmware update or that PRS+ firmware to fix the known bugs.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #26
mobijupp
mobijupp began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903
And here are the results from Germany:
149Euro (including our "19% for Angela")

I often compare amazon.de and amazon.com
For a lot of things we pay more Euro than people in the States pay Dollar.
(Not only for techs. Last week i bought a Weber Q 120 Gas Grill. 249Euro.
US:179$)
I know people who fly to New York for one day just for shopping cellphones, ithings ... (and they save money).

@Gilmartin:to console you, google for "big mac index"; there britain is cheaper than US.
@ all: to console us: think of the peope who build the T1 for us. How long they have to work to buy one?

Excuse my bad english
mobijupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 AM   #27
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
In Italy the price is 199€, including tax and shipping.
That should be 275 US $ and 170 UK £
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #28
gari189
Connoisseur
gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Elonex 621eb, PRS-T1, HP Touchpad
Sony have plenty of keenly priced competitors in the US (eg Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, Nook). It makes sense for them to capture as much of the Xmas market as they can before the Kindle Touch comes out.

In the UK the only touchscreen reader competition they have is the Kobo at £109......so Sony UK can be a bit more relaxed about their pricing.

Last edited by gari189; 11-09-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: ?
gari189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #29
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
The reason that US stores do not list prices with tax is so they can advertise cheaper prices. And since that is the way they started many years ago, that is the way it is done.

The are times when certain items are taxed versus non-taxed. Food, eaten on the premises (restaurant) is taxed in my state, but food, prepared for carry out, is not taxed. So what price do you display?

I find that most everything in the UK is priced the same as the US, except in pounds in stead of dollars. Including food. Just like many prices in EU are priced in Euro at the same numerical price as the US price in dollars.

But realize, your salariies are in the local currency.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote