Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I personally prefer straight quotes. Just a personal preference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #17
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I personally prefer straight quotes. Just a personal preference.
It's so nice to hear someone else say that! I'm definitely on your side in this particular debate.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #18
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Great, thanks!

Do I read them in the order that you posted?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:38 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The omnibus version has the four novels first, followed by the five books of short stories. You could, if you wish, read them in date order (each book has its date alongside it). Either way, I'd suggest starting with "A Study in Scarlet"; this was the first book published and describes how Doctor Watson met Holmes; it's essential "background material" for what follows.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #20
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
The omnibus version has the four novels first, followed by the five books of short stories. You could, if you wish, read them in date order (each book has its date alongside it). Either way, I'd suggest starting with "A Study in Scarlet"; this was the first book published and describes how Doctor Watson met Holmes; it's essential "background material" for what follows.
thanks!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #21
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
That's because it's not currently a "proper" MobiPocket book and hence has no metadata. I'll shortly be posted an updated version with further proof-reading; at that point I'll convert it to a proper Mobi book.
Fine job Harry!

just a suggestion, to make it even better: please add the mobipocket toc "guide"; it is something I use often and it will be very usefull in such a big volume as the Collected Works of Sherlock Holmes.

Would it be a good idea to add some trivia about Arthur Conan Doyle to the omnibus? If you want, I'll lend a hand...
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #22
mateo
Enthusiast
mateo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire71
+1 for this being a fantastic book. Very professionally put together. I bought the Kindle version of Study in Scarlet but have already removed it from my device, since this one is much better formatted.

I agree that it needs the Author metadata though. Keep up the good work!
mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Proofed and corrected "The Valley of Fear". This was in a reasonable state, with just a few minor typos. The main thing I've done is changed the text from the American edition to the original British edition. I've also now made this into a proper MobiPocket book, with metadata, working navigation links, etc.

Uploaded v7.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #24
kwhitefoot
kwhitefoot began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N73, Palm IIIC
Just saying thank you.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the effort you put in.
kwhitefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #25
DeusExMe
Kingdom Agent
DeusExMe began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I know that you have answered questions from this category SO many times. Please forgive me. However, since the Case Book of Sherlock Holmes contains materials published after 1923 does that mean that this omnibus is NOT in the US public domain? Once again please forgive me another public domain question.
DeusExMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That is correct. This book is not in the public domain in the US. It is, however, in the public domain in (I think) every other country in the world. The US has uniquely restrictive copyright laws.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #27
DeusExMe
Kingdom Agent
DeusExMe began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Thank you for answering the question. Even if I could buy this book for the Kindle in such a way as to honor its copyright, who receives money for it? Doyle has been dead for almost 80 years....
DeusExMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #28
violet221b
violet221b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ACD copyright royalties

Although Arthur Conan Doyle has been dead for many years, his estate is alive and well with lawyers looking after ACD-related interests in the US as well as abroad. (This is probably true for other more or less contemporary authors whose work isn't in the public domain.)
violet221b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #29
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Creating Collections of Books and stories

Harry,
Your Sherlock Holmes collection is fantastic. I've visualized a couple of ways of doing it, but have too little knowledge. Perhaps you would consider another tutorial like Book Designer and Creator.

Just a thought.

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:19 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hi Charlie,

What is it you'd like to know how to do?

To create anthologies, I use Book Designer and simply "paste" one book after another into the BD document after copyright from the web browser.

The index of books, etc, is just a list of hyperlinks created using BD's "notes and links" feature.