Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Drat - not on Amazon UK .
I do not see them on Amazon from Sweden. Are they available in Amazon from the US?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Are they available in Amazon from the US?
Yes
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...tal-text%2C250

Looks like they are all either $11.99 or $7.99 depending on the title.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
All 21 Travis McGee books are now on my watch list. My yellowed paperback copies have print far too small for me to read now. I'll wait to re-read the series in order when the price per book drops below $9.

I hope the publisher will drop The Deep Blue Good-By (#1) to a persuasive price to get us 'in-order' obsessives started.

I've paid up to $16 for new books from favorite living authors since I don't mind doing my bit to keep them writing. But $8 or so is the limit for dead authors whose books I've already read at least once.
This is a sadly under-rated problem with printed books, the way the print shrinks over time.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
This is a sadly under-rated problem with printed books, the way the print shrinks over time.
Too true.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #20
Sapphire
Enthusiast
Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Sony 505 & 650
These ebooks aren't in my library's digital collection, but they're available in OverDrive for library patrons to recommend for purchase.
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #21
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
When I saw this announcement I immediately went over to B&N to buy the whole bunch... Til I saw the ridiculous price. When the publisher or whoever sets these prices decides they'd rather sell a bunch of these at $2.99, I'll buy them all. Til then, nope.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #22
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
When I saw this announcement I immediately went over to B&N to buy the whole bunch... Til I saw the ridiculous price. When the publisher or whoever sets these prices decides they'd rather sell a bunch of these at $2.99, I'll buy them all. Til then, nope.
Same here. I've always felt that there is too much risk in buying PopFiction that old. In that will the books hold up, seem kinda silly, etc. For some odd reason, in my mind, serious literature isn't harmed by dated and outmoded conventions. But in pop fiction, it seems really obnoxious.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
That's a completely unrealistic price. Do you really place such a low value on books?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #24
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
That's a completely unrealistic price. Do you really place such a low value on books?
In terms of literary value, no.

In relative terms compared to the value I place on other living expenses (like food, mortgage, college for the kids, gas for my 10 year old minivan, etc.) -- sadly, yes.

I would also be in the market for several of these right off the bat, perhaps all of them eventually, at up to $3.99 each. As it is, there are many more books out there of equal literary value that cost a lot less and that I will be just as happy reading.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
I've gotta go with the, 'wait for a lower price' idea. I mean, I don't HAVE to have them in MOBI format and I've already got almost every one of them in paperback. Plus, the idea of reading a physical book is not TOTALLY abhorrent to me . . . .

Much like the 'Deathlands' series. Fun, escapist, post-apocaylpse read, not serious reading matter. Have a bunch of them in paperback, would not pay $10-12 a pop to have them in MOBI!

Cheers!

John
JohnTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
It's not unrealistic at all. These books are 40-50 years old, they are hardly hefty tomes, and the author is no longer alive. I would argue that charging $12-$13 a pop on the publisher's part is highly unrealistic. I don't have a problem with that price range for new releases, but for reissues of musty old stuff, c'mon! I want to read this series, but I can be patient. If the first book doesn't sell much at the current $11.99 price, they'll be forced to consider reducing. Simple supply & demand.

By comparison, I recently pick up the new ebook reissue of the 20th century classic novel The Magus by John Fowles & it was $7.59. Now that is very reasonable for a reissue. It came out at about the same time as the Travis Mcgee series (the sixties) and is easily 3-4 times the length. I'm enjoying it immensely. It is now $2.99 on amazon. So $2.99 is definitely realistic. It's just some authors & publishers overrate the value of their works.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #27
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I read The Magus long ago and loved it, as I did everything by John Fowles. Unfortunately, the Kindle price is now $8.89. As much as I would like to reread it, I have too many other good reads on my TBR list for that kind of splurge. I could not have resisted buying it at $2.99.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #28
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I read The Magus long ago and loved it, as I did everything by John Fowles. Unfortunately, the Kindle price is now $8.89. As much as I would like to reread it, I have too many other good reads on my TBR list for that kind of splurge. I could not have resisted buying it at $2.99.
Ah too bad, it was $2.99 for at least a week. I was maybe a bit disgruntled that the price dropped after I bought it, but didn't really begrudge the $7.59. I probably would have paid almost any price since I read The Magus 15 years ago & was spellbound and was excited to read it again as soon as the ebook was available. I don't mind paying $11-$13 for recently released ebooks I want to read now. But I agree, if it's not something I'm dying to read right away, then my personal threshold to "stockpile" for reading at some later date is probably $4 or less, particularly for older titles.

I'll put them on an amazon reminder list, and also someone here recommended the ereader IQ website which tracks amazon prices and will email you if it drops to a price you specify. It seems good although I haven't actually received any emails in the couple weeks I've used it.

Last edited by usuallee; 01-18-2013 at 02:04 PM.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I agree that $2.99 is unrealistic for Travis, Meyer, and the Busted Flush. Loved them! (And for any Callahan fans, if you missed Callahan's Key, by Spider Robinson, don't; lovely interesting crossover). I do think that the high price is, flatly, too high. I'd have thought, had I been asked, that $5.99 would have been a much better price point, particularly to intro Travis to two entirely new generations.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #30
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Thanks for the tip on their availability. I haven't read them all, but my Dad read them, and I sneaked a few of them off his shelf when I was a kid.

I'm in the middle on the pricing. I can't see pricing them at $3, but $12 for some of these is too steep for me. I buy mainly from B&N, and the ones over $8 sit in my Nook wish list indefinitely, while the ones less than that, I end up buying. I've got 25 or so titles sitting in the B&N wish list now, all over $8 - I hope B&N is watching

At $8, I'll cherry-pick, at $5 I'd probably buy them all.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote