Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #91
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Quiris, thanks for this app and the updates. Question: would it be possible to create a modified package that would work with the higher dpi (300) of the Kindle Voyage?
Check the new release 0.7: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...eases/tag/v0.7
Changelog: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC.../v0.6...master
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #92
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiris View Post
Thanks! Just tried the Windows executable with my Kindle Voyage -- works beautifully!
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #93
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quiris: what Python version(s) does this support?

(I'm trying to run it via IronPython; unfortunately ExtractCoverThumbs needs the PIL CPython extension, which appears to limit me to Python 2.6.)
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:41 AM   #94
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Quiris: what Python version(s) does this support?

(I'm trying to run it via IronPython; unfortunately ExtractCoverThumbs needs the PIL CPython extension, which appears to limit me to Python 2.6.)
Install Pillow 2.7.0 instead of PIL. It works great with the latest Python 2.7.9: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow/

The script was not tested with Python 3.x so I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work on this platform
Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #95
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Install Pillow 2.7.0 instead of PIL. It works great with the latest Python 2.7.9: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow/

The script was not tested with Python 3.x so I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work on this platform
Like I said: I can't use CPython extensions like PIL/Pillow with IronPython 2.7. I'm more interested in whether it works in 2.6 (because there's CPython support for that version of IronPython) than 3.0.

If you don't know, that's okay, I can experiment. Was just wondering if you knew before I spent the time testing!
Advert
Old 01-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #96
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I'm more interested in whether it works in 2.6
I don't know unfortunatelly
Old 02-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #97
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
That being so, shouldn't the directions for the py.zip tell you to use python2 explicitly?

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/

This will break on at least Arch Linux (my distro) and it is generally recommended to always be specific now, unless you are working with code that is source compatible with both python2 and python3.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:08 AM   #98
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
for the time being, all distributions should ensure that python refers to the same target as python2 .
Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #99
ATimson
Evangelist

Quote:
for the time being, all distributions should ensure that python refers to the same target as python2 .
"Should", not "must". You can't assume distributions will do that; there's distros that don't comply, but since it's not a requirement they're still compliant with PEP 394.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:28 AM   #100
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I can't get it to work on my new Voyage, using 0.7.1

I get this error:

gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #101
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I got 0.7.1 working in Windows, however I think on Voyage they have made the "Personal" banner taller, as even after running your tool the bottom of some covers are "cut off"/hidden. But it's only a very small portion.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #102
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
0.7.2 via Mac --> Kindle Voyage:

so much @quiris !!

Curious: How are the page numbers in the apnx calculated? (The explanation on GitHub went over my head )
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #103
quiris
Groupie

New version 0.8 working well with firmware 5.7.2 are released: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...eleases/latest

If you have used my tool before you should check Overwrite existing personal documents (PDOC) covers? option at least once.

Note that there is a new option for users with older firmware devices: Fix book covers for PERSONAL badge?

I redesigned options in a way that for a normal usage you do not have to check any checkboxes

I also changed compilation tool for Windows binaries to Pyinstaller so please reports any problems with the binaries

Last edited by quiris; 02-05-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #104
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
How are the page numbers in the apnx calculated?
2300 characters of uncompressed text per page.

This is not meant to map 1 to 1 to a print book but to be a close enough measure.

A test book was chosen and the characters were counted on one page. This number was round to 2240 then 60 characters of markup were added to the total giving 2300.

Uncompressed text length is used because it's easily accessible in MOBI files (part of the header). Also, It's faster to work off of the length then to decompress and parse the actual text.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #105
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
New version 0.8 working well with firmware 5.7.2 are released: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...eleases/latest
Wow. I didn't expect you to get out an update to work for 5.7.2 this fast! Thanks ever so much Quiris! Very easy to use (although a reminder, other than in one post somewhere in the middle of the thread, that the Windows download includes two files, one of which is an executable, so you don't have to use a command prompt, might be helpful to newcomers).

The result on my Kindle Voyage is a less tall, but full, extracted cover, with a blank white space (undelineated) where the "Personal Document" banner otherwise would be. I presume that's the behavior you intended because you cannot get rid of the banner entirely.

Great work!
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote