Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
guybrushT
guybrushT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
Restoring Kindle 4 to factory settings and removing mods

Hi,

I have done a Screensaver Mod to my Kindle and now I cant apply the firmware updates.

Is there any way to restore it completely to factory settings so it is an brand new un-modded Kindle.

(Restore factory settings in the menu doesn't work)

Thanks
guybrushT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrushT View Post
Hi,

I have done a Screensaver Mod to my Kindle and now I cant apply the firmware updates.

Is there any way to restore it completely to factory settings so it is an brand new un-modded Kindle.

(Restore factory settings in the menu doesn't work)

Thanks
Yes, to both questions.
* You only have to restore the original screen savers to get the update to run.
* You can install one of the Kindle images available in stickies at top of the forum.

(That "restore factory settings" is en_LAB126 dialect, it does what they meant.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
guybrushT

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, to both questions.
* You only have to restore the original screen savers to get the update to run.
* You can install one of the Kindle images available in stickies at top of the forum.

(That "restore factory settings" is en_LAB126 dialect, it does what they meant.)
Thankyou very much for your response.

I would like to your first option, first, as the second one seems very complicated. Please could you explain how to do this?

I really appreciate your help. I only just bought my Kindle and I feel very much out of my depth.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thankyou very much for your response.

I would like to your first option, first, as the second one seems very complicated. Please could you explain how to do this?

I really appreciate your help. I only just bought my Kindle and I feel very much out of my depth.
This should cover it:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K4_Index#Update_Fails
Old 06-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
guybrushT

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Unfortunately this does not work for me. I used a method I found on youtube which basically follows this method.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ebook-read...aver-50008100/

I have also tried the method given in post#1 in the thread for which you linked that fix from.

I guess I will have to use forensic images.

I will use the de-bricking 'noobs' pdf guide then.

I have a question though - If I can get into 'diags' as my Kindle currently works, can I just load in a new image easily enough to start 'fresh' as it were?

Cheers
Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
guybrushT

Ok I wondered if the following would work with my K4NT...

Using Silver18 'noob' guide http://www.mediafire.com/view/?d4mqgzr4cbrttzu

Could I start at page 8 - 'Place New Main partition and Copy it'? My Kindle is not actually bricked and I can get into diags mode easily using Windows in the normal way and presumably my kernal is fine. I'm just missing a few screen saver files.

From here I should just follow the instructions and copy over mmcblk0p1-k4-401 as this is correct for my Kindle (not the touch image file as in the guide).

Now just follow the steps through to page 11.

Alternatively how would I browse the file structure of my Kindle - I dont thin i have an 600x800 folder with any files in it so it wont update.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ok I wondered if the following would work with my K4NT...

Using Silver18 'noob' guide http://www.mediafire.com/view/?d4mqgzr4cbrttzu

Could I start at page 8 - 'Place New Main partition and Copy it'? My Kindle is not actually bricked and I can get into diags mode easily using Windows in the normal way and presumably my kernal is fine. I'm just missing a few screen saver files.

From here I should just follow the instructions and copy over mmcblk0p1-k4-401 as this is correct for my Kindle (not the touch image file as in the guide).

Now just follow the steps through to page 11.

Thanks
A good question for the author, ask here;
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180789
The author is probably subscribed to any posts to that thread and will see your question sooner than he may stumble on it here.