Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
istvanst
istvanst began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle3, kindle2
What is the slot on the left side of the kindle 3??

Hi,

i just got my kindle 3. And loving it.
I found a "kind of" slot on the left side above the page turn buttons. Searched the forum and the web but could not find any information about this "hole".

Please help?

Thanks
istvanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
There should actually be 2 "slots", one near the top and one near the bottom. They are used to attach covers. The bottom slot also supplies the power for the lighted cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	58683  

Last edited by RonF; 09-23-2010 at 08:05 AM.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Yup they're only there so you can attach the Kindle to hinged covers. The hinge slots are not in the same place as the Kindle 2 slots - so you do need to make sure if you purchase a hinged cover that you get one made for the correct model.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
There should actually be 2 "slots", one near the top and one near the bottom. They are used to attach covers. The bottom slot also supplies the power for the lighted cover.
PLUS the bottom hole can be used to attach serial line to Kindle using very simple connector made from a little bit of PCB.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
istvanst
istvanst began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle3, kindle2
thank you

thank you for the quick answer.

what can i do with a serial connection that i can not do with usb BTW?
istvanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by istvanst View Post
what can i do with a serial connection that i can not do with usb BTW?
Access the bootloader and console. If you're not interested in kernel development then it is useless for you. If you don't know what you're doing then you shouldn't mess with the serial port as you can damage your Kindle.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, istvanst
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Hi,

What covers use the hinge system, besides the original Amazon ones?

I'm looking for a cover, but Brazilian taxes are insane, so the unlighted Amazon one would cost $109. On the other hand, I don't want a cover that holds my Kindle with straps on the corners, that's too ugly.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Then Cole Hahn covers also use the slots,but you won't believe the prices on those...
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3