Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What features are required for a 9.7’’ e-reader ?
Wifi 378 64.40%
3G 121 20.61%
Touch screen 334 56.90%
Stylus 196 33.39%
Color screen 213 36.29%
Email 125 21.29%
Web Browser 231 39.35%
Document search 393 66.95%
Dictionary 413 70.36%
Music player 84 14.31%
Video player 58 9.88%
OPDS compatibility 104 17.72%
Just show me the results 28 4.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #76
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
And it *MUST* be an Apple iPad w/64G memory, 48-hour *ON* battery life and a price tag of $49.99 *SANS* AT&T contract!

(Why yes, I *have* been ingesting large quantities of LSD today! )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #77
Kellhound
Kellhound began at the beginning.

Device: brand new Sony PRS 600
Document search and dictionary. No need to me for any of the other options on a device for reading books.
Kellhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #78
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Humm the results are really interestings
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #79
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
The survey is borked. The options are all, err, options. Read the comments.

Survey: What do you think is most important in designing a new car?
1. Lots of sensors
2. Backlit display
3. Satellite radio
4. Integrated GPS

If you listen to the results you'd build an iphone.

Last edited by fishface; 06-08-2010 at 04:19 PM.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #80
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyElfman View Post
Answered !

As to me a reader is by nature a reader and not a tablet, I do not mind having a B&W display. Important features to me are dictionnary, search module, web browser + wifi (for wikipedia, forums like this one, articles, online newspapers, etc ...). A stylus would be useful for the web part.

One thing : battery ! No need to have a color touch screen with 3G if it lasts 10 minutes ...
Ditto!
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #81
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Lightbulb Major Missing options

The following are also "very" important to me..

-First: Worldwide sales/warranty support (dream bigger..why limit to one country/continent).

-Wide File Format Support
-Open Platform/Extensibility
-Wide Zoom/Font Size adjust support
-Comfortable Double Handed Operation
-Documents Organization/Folder support
-Charge via USB
-Eink/Non-glare-display with Zero-Backlit facility
-Responsive Touchscreen w/o stylus, handwriting, notes support
-Faster processor, more memory(400MHz, 64/128MB are prehistoric)
-Internal memory+SDHC support
-Decent Battery (at least half-a-day would be good).
-Sleep/suspend after timeout
-User replaceable battery

Its surprising how many of the current crop of readers miss out on these, to a point that makes these devices ridiculous to use.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #82
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Worldwalker, your paranoia is fine keep it up. Or else. We ARE watching you.

My take on this is that it is research on features to include in a tablet/MID system. Possibly for students, military, or businesses. A lot of people noticed that price, an item of importance to consumers, was not in the list.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #83
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
What i want most in a 9.7" ereader is for the PDF support to be SPECTACULAR. It must have multiple zoom functions for when reflow isnt appropriate and reflow must be excellent when it is.

Zoom must be persistent- once i set it for a pdf it stays for every page until i change it. I want selection zoom like we have with Irex and Onyx to zoom in on specific spots on charts etc. If its multiple column I want to be able to read with them all displayed or just one column at a time (pocketbook).

TOC must work, and also internal links. Footnotes must work and must also get you back to where you were reading EASILY. I must be able to make scribbly notes and clip text for notes- look at how Samsung Hanvon and Plastic Logic allow you to add a sort of sticky note to a spot in the text. As mentioned before bookmarks AND NOTES must be able to move off the reader with the document or with some easily accessed format.

I want a way to download straight to the device- for that I want WIFI. A browser helps you find stuff you want to download- look to the Onyx webkit browser as an example. A soft keyboard for making notes and for posting small responses on sites like Mobile Read is very useful. I can use that to look at my gmail and respond if i need to.

I want to be able to have multiple documents and books "open" at once and be able to quickly move back and forth between them while doing research/studying.

ODS is a nice feature and I also want something like DLNA or WIFI Direct http://www.wi-fi.org/news_articles.p...ws&news_id=909 so its easier for people to share content between their own devices and with others. If I have a copy of some office report I want another person to see , being able to "hand it over" with wifi direct built into devices would make it much easier then opening up an email and sending an attachment etc

Document search and folder support, dictionaries(adding your own) is a MUST for any decent ereader going forward. So is the open architecture for a community of users to build around . All the font support and formats and customization abilities mentioned by kacir i.e look at PocketBook firmware.

Several people in this thread seem opposed to anything that does more than casual novel or non fiction reading. I think that in this size its got to be more- there is more reading done than just book reading. Work and Professional documents, Email and News, Magazines for recreation or professional reading, education, this forum and others etc etc etc. this is all reading that I will want to do on this size of a device too.

To be an excellent reading device it must be capable of doing ALL of this reading well and it must be flexible enough to make it comfortable for me- changing fonts and spacing and margins. I must be able to mark up documents or make notes and pass them off to professors/students/colleagues/friends/family etc

ALL on an e-ink display(color when available for those mags and "photography" books) and it must cost less than the next closest thing that can play video. and weeks of battery life (when wifi is off of course)
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #84
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
What i want most in a 9.7" ereader is for the PDF support to be SPECTACULAR.

To be an excellent reading device it must be capable of doing ALL of this reading well and it must be flexible enough to make it comfortable for me- changing fonts and spacing and margins. I must be able to mark up documents or make notes and pass them off to professors/students/colleagues/friends/family etc

ALL on an e-ink display(color when available for those mags and "photography" books) and it must cost less than the next closest thing that can play video. and weeks of battery life (when wifi is off of course)
God could have made the earth and the stars. And all life on earth.

Or he could have made a 9.7" ereader with everything you hope for.

He took the easy way out.

Color would be important to me to read manuals and trace circuits in diagrams.

But what you wrote made me think. A reader that size could allow for a split screen. Now that would be something unique.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #85
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Personally, I have no interest in a 9.7" device. It just seems to big for casual reading. So I didn't choose ANY of the options.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #86
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Personally, I have no interest in a 9.7" device. It just seems to big for casual reading. So I didn't choose ANY of the options.
That's a problem I have with these 9.7" devices.

For most they're too big for casual reading of novels or any other type of straight text.

But they're still too small for 8.5"x11" documents in portrait mode, magazines, comics etc.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 06-09-2010 at 02:25 AM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #87
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Wifi: so I can get to internet and check my online sources for books (such as MobileRead!) and forums (such as MobileRead!) Also, the ability to connect to my server and NAS at home would be very nice indeed.

Touch Screen: I would like to be able to annotate (for correcting) the books I'm reading so I can go back to the source and update it accordingly.

Stylus: Finger is nice, but not accurate enough. I have thick fingers...

Colour screen: a must-have. A 9.7" device would be used a lot for comics by me and thus colour is required.

Web-browser: see Wifi

Document Search: I'll be putting a lot of documents on it, searching through them would be very helpful!

Dictionary: my English isn't perfect, there are still words I don't know and having to look them up at a later date is annoying. I prefer to find them immediately (even when I don't have access to wifi!)

Other (please specify): (I know, it's not there, but still ) not too many buttons on the device (please, no onboard keyboard! they only make a device cumbersome), but a previous/next and menu button would be very handy.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #88
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
The problem I see with this is that since the options given are not those useful for ebook readers -- they're features of tablets -- the predetermined result of this survey is going to be "people want tablets". There is no option for "I don't want a tablet, I want a ebook reader."
I still see them as an e-reader. Having a browser doesn't make it a tablet... Or does it having a colour screen make it tablet? Oh, I know, the ability to play video and/or music make it tablet! Which means my Mini is half a tablet then...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:07 AM   #89
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
That's a problem I have with these 9.7" devices.

For most they're too big for casual reading of novels or any other type of straight text.

But they're still too small for 8.5"x11" documents in portrait mode, magazines, comics etc.
I agree. I would prefer 8" eInk based eBook reader. It would make much more sense.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #90
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I still see them as an e-reader. Having a browser doesn't make it a tablet... Or does it having a colour screen make it tablet? Oh, I know, the ability to play video and/or music make it tablet! Which means my Mini is half a tablet then...
What's a Mini?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote