Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Burner Tech
Burner Tech began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Help!

I have the problem that the reader will not start and there is the circle with the line displayed on the reader all of the time. My kid did yank the cord out of the reader while it said do not disconnect

I have tried to remove the old reader program and install new but, I cannot remove the program because it says it is being used or the file location is not valid. When I try to delete Kinoma or CONNECT Reader it says the program is in use and cannot be removed. I am stuck on this one little thing before I can proceed and remove the stuff I need to, re-install the reader software and get moving again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Burner Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Have you tried to reset the Reader? There's no reason to uninstall the software, if it's the device that is having the issue (which it sounds like it is in this case).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Burner Tech

I have not reset the reader but with it not attached to the computer, I cannot open the reader library at all. So if I reset the reader without a way to get my books out, I am kinda stuck.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
First, reset your Reader. Then you might want to do a quick search on how to fully uninstall the Reader library on here, as it's sort of tricky.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
Burner Tech

I have done a lot of reading they all basically say to uninstall the reader, delete Kinoma and Marlin files (One also says to delete Connect Reader too).

The computer will not let me Un-install the reader via 'add/remove' because it cannot find the link to C:\DOCUME~1\User~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\{A2D5CA0C-88DB-48AC-8330-8AB5BFAEC744}. It says -

'The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.'

It is looking for 'the reader library by sony.msi'
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner Tech View Post
I have not reset the reader but with it not attached to the computer, I cannot open the reader library at all. So if I reset the reader without a way to get my books out, I am kinda stuck.
I don't understand... aren't all your books also on your computer. You shouldn't loose anything on your computer if you reset your reader. They are two separate devices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
personally i always try resetting my reader first....solves alot of problems.....
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Burner Tech

Here is an update...

- Opened the add/remove program and went to remove the reader library.
- While that was open, went in and was actually able to delete Kinoma (Marlin was not there)
- Deleted the Sony Folder as well
- Still cannot remove Reader Library due to the above mentioned problem, but for some reason now I can actually get into it, access the store AND wait for it.. get the circle with a line to go away once I exit the library.

I believe it was that 'Connect reader' file that had gotten corrupt. I am ok with this status now even though I cannot uninstall the reader (or install a new one due to the above mentioned problem as well).

Now I can stop typing and start reading again!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
Burner Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't understand... aren't all your books also on your computer. You shouldn't loose anything on your computer if you reset your reader. They are two separate devices.

BOb
If the library is deleted while I am trying to solve the problem and I then reset my reader, how do I get my books back?

The problem is not in the reader, it works fine. The computer is the issue even when the reader is not attached
Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am ok with this status now even though I cannot uninstall the reader (or install a new one due to the above mentioned problem as well).
I think you are confusing us when you say uninstall "the reader". We think of the device as "the reader" and the Library software as, the library software.

Quote:
Now I can stop typing and start reading again!
Glad you are good to go.

I could tell you how to do a manual remove but you seem like your ok now.

BOb
Old 01-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
Burner Tech

Sorry, I can see where where my jargon is not jiving.

Would you be able to tell me how to do a manual remove of the reader library?
It would definately help my troubleshooting skills for next time.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Burner Tech

I just looked at my "Manage Device" file in the Sony Reader store...

It seems that I have 2 readers and 3 computers authorized (only have 1 and 1). Part of the problem or just interesting?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
sometimes the only way to get rid of a reader in your account is to have sony remove it (i did that today).
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, I can see where where my jargon is not jiving.

Would you be able to tell me how to do a manual remove of the reader library?
It would definately help my troubleshooting skills for next time.

Thanks!
Grab this app. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html

It lets you run uninstallers... like from the add/remove. But, if the installer won't run for some reason like a missing cached msi file, which is what you had... you can just remove the entry from the list so it won't be in the registry anymore. Then you can manually delete the program and it's folders.

This should clean up the system and allow you to do a reinstall.

BOb
Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #15
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I would be very interested in hearing what sony tells ya on this issue if you decide to call them.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote