Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Some sort of Joke? (email from Irex)

Just recieved this: - Going to give it a try.

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for your ongoing interest in our iLiad E-reader.

Some time ago you have sent us an email / showed interest in obtaining an iLiad sample. We are happy to inform you that, for European Business to Business customers, we can now start selling evaluation products per June 12, 2006.

You are invited to login to:

www.irexshop.com/login.php?user=new

Access to this shop is limited to known e-mail addresses, so please use the same e-mail address to register your information and order your iLiad.
E-mail address for your entry is:
Hidden
Password for your entry is:
HIDDEN

An order status confirmation and an estimated delivery date will be sent to you upon completion of the ordering process.

For all other questions, please send your comments to:

info@irextechnologies.com

With best regards,

The iRex Team
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Azania
Azania began at the beginning.

Device: Palm E2; Nokia 770
€649? I thought it was going to be €549? My faulty memory?
Azania is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor

Just tried ordering one but it didnt like my credit card details. :-/ Mailed them to purchase manually. I'll let you know how it progresses. It does say they are not in stock until June 30th.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Where is my email?
Hopefully i will be getting one too.

And can it be, that 649,- will be including VAT and shipping?

Last edited by tribble; 06-12-2006 at 01:38 PM.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
649 Euro??!! I have a rich girlfriend :P but I think it's a little bit high. I have to give it some thought. Really have to take a good look at the Sony Reader.

Did you see their planning:

Quote:

June: Ordering and shipment of iLiad

July/August features

Hotspot support
Apabi format (in Asia only)
"Re-open" a file on last read page
Support for an E-Book DRM format (to be announced soon)
Page-break support in HTML (instead of scrolling)

August/September/October features

Dictionary support*
Annotation on PDF/TXT/HTML/Apabi*
File management on the iLiad
MP3 playing
Search (for or in) documents*
Bookmarks in documents*
Page turning speed improvement

*Improvement of functionality related to file formats might be limited to what formats allow
So is there a "new" version for consumers in September or is it all based on a firmware upgrade so that there will be no difference between the early versions and the September "consumer" versions?

Last edited by diabloNL; 06-12-2006 at 02:00 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
I would say the planned features are software. Except, if you would need more Flash-Memory for additional programs like the mp3 decoder. Don't know how big a MP3 decoder was on my Zaurus (clamshell PDA). But even on my SimPad i had a lot of programs in the internal 32 MB Flash (including the OS!).
I would say maybe it isn't relying on hardware, other option would be, they either use small capacity flash now or could place additional modules in later hardware revisions.

diablo: ever seen how much a Sharp Zaurus is?
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
In the updated specs it says that it will be a software update for the extended functionality:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6690
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
I would say the planned features are software. Except, if you would need more Flash-Memory for additional programs like the mp3 decoder. Don't know how big a MP3 decoder was on my Zaurus (clamshell PDA). But even on my SimPad i had a lot of programs in the internal 32 MB Flash (including the OS!).
I would say maybe it isn't relying on hardware, other option would be, they either use small capacity flash now or could place additional modules in later hardware revisions.

diablo: ever seen how much a Sharp Zaurus is?

No idea because I'm a total noob in the world of e-reading. The only thing I know is that I at least want a reader with e-ink technology. I think 649 Euro is a lot of money and even with his lower specs the Sony reader with a price between $300 and $400 is more attractive to me. I just want to read novels and the Sony reader is even smaller in size and because of that also in screen resolution. I have no intention of reading newspapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa
In the updated specs it says that it will be a software update for the extended functionality:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6690
Now this is a little bit weird to me. They said that the recommend the consumers to wait till September to buy for additional features but if it's a matter of firmware why would people wait? It's probably to discourage people to buy one now if they can get their hands on one to preserve stock for the B2B market.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@onceways

when did you register your email adress and are you really a b2b customer???

:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor

About 3 or 4 monthes ago. Will be using device for work and also play. I carry around lots of PDF's an during a begging letter to Irex may have mentioned this. Also registered with my work address.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #11
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceways
About 3 or 4 monthes ago. Will be using device for work and also play. I carry around lots of PDF's an during a begging letter to Irex may have mentioned this. Also registered with my work address.
Really strange, I have registered some months ago as well and never received an answer. I am working for a well known big company. Irex really needs a new sales dept.....
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:28 PM   #12
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
No idea because I'm a total noob in the world of e-reading. The only thing I know is that I at least want a reader with e-ink technology. I think 649 Euro is a lot of money and even with his lower specs the Sony reader with a price between $300 and $400 is more attractive to me. I just want to read novels and the Sony reader is even smaller in size and because of that also in screen resolution. I have no intention of reading newspapers.
I have no intention to bind me to a proprietary format for the documents. PDF is a partial open standard and the ability for new "readers" (or even applications) lets the Iliad look better to me.
I hope they will really give out some SDK to everyone. Otherwise i think, maybe someone from openembedded.org will get a hold of it and open it to the repositories and possibilities of openembedded.org (since its already running Linux).
It is really a hord of money, but i think the price will drop, when the whole concept is not that new anymore. Look at the rest of the computer market, prices know only one way. So either buy now, buy high or wait till it gets in your price range (or buy something else and be happy with that (but i wouldn't consider Sony's thing an option, even if its cheaper) DRM as _option_ is ok, but i don't like a DRM- or proprietary format-only device. That makes no sense (to me)).

oh, and btw (don't want to scare anyone, though):
Linux is GPL-licensed and I am sure Irex knows the consequences.

Last edited by b_k; 06-12-2006 at 05:07 PM.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #13
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Hmm. I'll try sending them an email from my work address tomorrow and see what that gives (I work for the UK branch of a large international telecoms company)
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #14
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
I phoned them the other day to ask why i had not received a reply to my information request. They apologized and explained that they still had hundreds of emails to sort through, and that they would look for my mail and put it in the business pile. Still have not heard anything, but it sounds like they are trying to catch up. So i am hopeful that i will hear something this week.
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #15
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Just put an order in for me. Thank god, i got an invitation. Cant wait to hold that bugger in my hands.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote