Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
blaenk
Connoisseur
blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
calibre and the new kindle layout engine

I remember reading that Amazon has/had to go through its library to re-generate their books to take advantage of the new layout engine that they are going to be releasing. Do you guys think this is simply a matter of inserting hyphenation markers, for example? Does Calibre already do this? Or do you guys think that they added something to their formats (e.g. AZW3) specifically for this new layout engine? If so, Calibre would have to reverse engineer that in order to leverage the new layout engine in its AZW3 output plugin, I imagine.

Basically I'm wondering if those of us who use Calibre-generated, side-loaded books will miss out on the new kindle layout engine. If Calibre already does do hyphenation, then we'll at least have that, assuming they're using the same hyphenation system, but I wonder if they're doing some other things as well. In the worst case, if they are doing something special underneath, in the meantime we could probably have Calibre delegate to kindlegen for AZW3 generation, which presumably would include those changes/features.

I guess we'll see when it comes out. Hopefully people report their findings.
blaenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I would say knowing calibre if there needs to be any changes to calibre they are already working on it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
blaenk
Connoisseur
blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
It's not looking good for side-loaded books. Check this post out.
blaenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally as long as I can keep side loading my e-books and read them I could care less about the new type sets and the other changes. Fancy does not mean much to me.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
This might be a good thing. While I would welcome the hyphenation and improved spacing, I am stupidly bothered by losing the dot on the i in ligatures such as fi.

If we don't get any choice (pretty common with Amazon) then I will probably have to buy, convert and then add to my Kindle. This could become a major pain.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
Most of my older books are novels, and I've already read them, so, even though I still have them in my Calibre library, I don't care if they lack the new formatting. If I go back to look at them again, I'll just have to get by, but it was good enough then.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I think every downloaded book has new typesetting now, but sideloaded books does not. I checked many of the books I've orders over the years, all had hyphenation.

I really want to buy a Kindle and make use of KU for self-published books, I read many of them (I pay for KU, but read them on my iPad). But I will wait until proper typesetting works with sideloaded books too.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I have noticed the "Enhanced Typesetting" label appearing on some, but not all, Kindle e-books.

Edit: Clicking displays the message "Enhanced typesetting improvements offer faster reading with less eye strain and beautiful page layouts, even at larger font sizes. Learn More" which links to this page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.gif
Views:	536
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	139787  

Last edited by jhowell; 06-28-2015 at 04:11 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:43 PM   #9
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have noticed the "Enhanced Typesetting" label appearing on some, but not all, Kindle e-books.
Thanks for this tip! What I really want to know is what impact (if any) this new "enhanced typesetting" will have on Alf's tools, Calibre conversions and KindleUnpack.

I also got a notice that Kindle for Mac 1.11.x is now a required update (I was previously on 1.10).
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Thanks for this tip! What I really want to know is what impact (if any) this new "enhanced typesetting" will have on Alf's tools, Calibre conversions and KindleUnpack.

I also got a notice that Kindle for Mac 1.11.x is now a required update (I was previously on 1.10).
I believe that needs to be asked in the calibre forum
Old 06-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #11
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Quote:
You could try these freebies
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRJOLNO
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VKXW8U6
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post

Edit: Clicking displays the message "Enhanced typesetting improvements offer faster reading with less eye strain and beautiful page layouts, even at larger font sizes. Learn More" which links to this page.
Given that Amazon now has an entry in Kindle eBooks that says " Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled" for eBooks where the typesetting features will work, I'm guessing that it's a toggle in the header of the eBook just like Amazon used for TTS on/off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #13
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
... is what impact (if any) this new "enhanced typesetting" will have on Alf's tools, Calibre conversions and KindleUnpack...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandathePanda View Post
Tried: No apparent impact.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Tried: No apparent impact.
You have to have a PW3 with the new firmware for the new typesetting to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have to have a PW3 with the new firmware for the new typesetting to work.
I don't think that was his point.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote