Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
zeekthegeek
zeekthegeek began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Are you sure there isn't some bug in Calibre? I can easily move files inbetween the SD card and internal memory using windows explorer, but Calibre always throws up the same error everyone else is getting (this is on a Kobo Wifi). I think this warrants a bit more investigation than just telling everyone to return their readers
zeekthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Well, I've read a bit more. A couple of things to try;
-ensuring that the Kobo is unplugged from computer using the 'safely remove' feature
-making sure the folder directory that opens when kobo is plugged into the computer is closed when making changes

Those 2 ^^ things helped some people when these errors started happening last year.

Also, Kobo just released a new firmware version [yesterday I believe], and very recently Calibre had a new release as well. I've downloaded both of these, and I tried out my Kobo today, with new purchase and changing some of my metadata, and all seemed to work, so far *knocks on wood*.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I was trying to be helpful, but now I'm having troubles again myself. After I posted yesterday, I deleted some books from my KT to re-add them with new Calibre code to keep them in series order. This is the error I get now when I try to change more than 1 thing at a time:

unable to open database file
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 82, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 436, in _delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 434, in delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 349, in delete_via_sql
OperationalError: unable to open database file

I figured the easiest way to change it is to reset my KT, AGAIN, and rebuild my library from scratch, AGAIN. I'm just waiting to decide if I'm updating my Kobo to the newest firmware before I start again.

So good luck. Apologies for trying to be helpful when I'm such a newbie myself, I just know how frustrating it is..
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
Crent
Crent began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
glad to see it isnt just myself having these errors; kinda

anyone else have any ideas it seems like the problem is the way calibre communicates with the kobo itself, could it be a metadata issue?

one thing that i did was to not have calibre create sub directories of the author, just the have the books to see if that made a difference....
Crent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
Crent

glad to see it isnt just myself having these errors; kinda

anyone else have any ideas it seems like the problem is the way calibre communicates with the kobo itself, could it be a metadata issue?

one thing that i did was to not have calibre create sub directories of the author, just have the books to see if that made a difference....

Last edited by Crent; 03-19-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Blue2,

I had a look at the code to see what is happening where you are seeing the errors. Calibre can't open the database on the Kobo Touch to remove the entries for the books you are deleting. But, it should have already opened the database when you connected the device. Which means that you should have gotten an error earlier.

As an experiment, could you try to get the annotations for a book? If you don't have annotations on any book, try it for a book you have started reading. This will add to the comments, how far through the book you are. The main thing this will tell us is if Calibre can read the database at all.

David
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #22
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Blue2,

I had a look at the code to see what is happening where you are seeing the errors. Calibre can't open the database on the Kobo Touch to remove the entries for the books you are deleting. But, it should have already opened the database when you connected the device. Which means that you should have gotten an error earlier.

As an experiment, could you try to get the annotations for a book? If you don't have annotations on any book, try it for a book you have started reading. This will add to the comments, how far through the book you are. The main thing this will tell us is if Calibre can read the database at all.

David
Annotations, I know I've seen that in my files, but where? I would be glad to post it, because I just got the error again. I had finally uninstalled and reinstalled everything, had it all working, and went to add 4 books today, got the 'disk space error' again, added first book fine, wouldn't add the other 3, here's the error:

(2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 412, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 253, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1010, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 175, in free_space
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 133, in _windows_space
error: (2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')
Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Annotations, I know I've seen that in my files, but where? I would be glad to post it, because I just got the error again.
"Fetch Annotations" is on the "Send to device" button.
Quote:
I had finally uninstalled and reinstalled everything, had it all working, and went to add 4 books today, got the 'disk space error' again, added first book fine, wouldn't add the other 3, here's the error:
When you did this, was it as one step? Did you select four books in Calibre and press the "send to" button, or did you do them one at a time?

After this happens, what happens if you try to look at the ereader using explorer? Also, what happens if you don't use Calibre at all and just drag the ebook files to the ereader? To me what appears to be happening is that after the initial accessing of the ereader from Calibre, it is being disconnected. Hence, any further access is failing by Calibre. The question is of course why this is happening. There are suggestions earlier in the thread to try. Other things to try are a different USB port, cable or a different computer. The object of all this is to determine if it is the ereader, the PC, Windows or something else. It is very unlikely that it is Calibre as it is just finding an underlying problem.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
"Fetch Annotations" is on the "Send to device" button.

When you did this, was it as one step? Did you select four books in Calibre and press the "send to" button, or did you do them one at a time?
I added one book, job completed, I selected another, that's when I get the error. It seems like it will only complete 1 job at a time.

Quote:
After this happens, what happens if you try to look at the ereader using explorer? Also, what happens if you don't use Calibre at all and just drag the ebook files to the ereader? To me what appears to be happening is that after the initial accessing of the ereader from Calibre, it is being disconnected. Hence, any further access is failing by Calibre. The question is of course why this is happening. There are suggestions earlier in the thread to try. Other things to try are a different USB port, cable or a different computer. The object of all this is to determine if it is the ereader, the PC, Windows or something else. It is very unlikely that it is Calibre as it is just finding an underlying problem.

I did 'fetch annotations', I selected 1 book I was reading and the comments do show the last date I read it and % done. So there is some type of communication between Calibre and KT. [can I delete the annotations now? I would prefer to have the book summary show only, how do I do that?]

Once KT connects, I close that folder that opens, [I had read somewhere that leaving it open causes errors, ?!]

I thank you so much for your time and help. I will keep trying different things, next time a different USB slot, dragging book directly to Kobo folder, etc. It's just frustrating because I've never had problems with earlier Kobo [1st gen] and not on my KT either since upgrade in the past couple of months.

If I find a sure-fire way to work around it, I will post. Problem is I seem to go in spurts where I just read for a long time, and don't bother with making any changes to my library, and then I go for a couple of weeks on buying/or free download spree and change it quite often.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I added one book, job completed, I selected another, that's when I get the error. It seems like it will only complete 1 job at a time.

I did 'fetch annotations', I selected 1 book I was reading and the comments do show the last date I read it and % done. So there is some type of communication between Calibre and KT. [can I delete the annotations now? I would prefer to have the book summary show only, how do I do that?]
I am surprised this worked immediately after the other failure. I was expecting any further attempts to read from the KT would fail.

You delete the annotations by opening the metadata editor and deleting them from the comments.

Quote:
Once KT connects, I close that folder that opens, [I had read somewhere that leaving it open causes errors, ?!]
I have't seen that mentioned. I frequently have Calibre opened and an explorer window on the KT without any issues.

Quote:
I thank you so much for your time and help. I will keep trying different things, next time a different USB slot, dragging book directly to Kobo folder, etc. It's just frustrating because I've never had problems with earlier Kobo [1st gen] and not on my KT either since upgrade in the past couple of months.
Trying another computer is the one I am most interested in. If this fails the same, it suggests it is the KT. Otherwise, it is something on your computer.

An earlier suggestion was to do a checkdisk/scandisk on the KT to look for filesystem errors. Have you done this?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #26
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
I am surprised this worked immediately after the other failure. I was expecting any further attempts to read from the KT would fail.
I know, it's so strange. It's like all it can process is one change at a time, which is a pain. But honestly, the way it's going, it takes less time to delete the entire library and re-add it with all the multiple changes done at once!

Quote:
You delete the annotations by opening the metadata editor and deleting them from the comments.
Thank you. I'll add that to my list of things to do!

Quote:
I have't seen that mentioned. I frequently have Calibre opened and an explorer window on the KT without any issues.
I'm surprised at the amount of things people had/are putting up with! Also, only adding a few books at atime [which sounds great to me right now], double page turns, and I've never seen it anywhere, but my clock on KT isn't working now either, LOL

Quote:
Trying another computer is the one I am most interested in. If this fails the same, it suggests it is the KT. Otherwise, it is something on your computer.
That means I'd have to load Calibre and Kobo desktop to another computer, I'm the only real 'reader' in the house. :/

Quote:
An earlier suggestion was to do a checkdisk/scandisk on the KT to look for filesystem errors. Have you done this?
I did, nothing. Checked the drivers myself for USB as well, nothing. Something interesting, I tried the 2nd USB port, I couldn't even get that one to make one change, as soon as I clicked to send 1 book, it gave me an error immediately.
So at this point I am thinking it's my computer. It's just all too strange, right? I've been shopping for a new one anyways, scouting every week for that PC deal of a lifetime. Better start dropping a few more pennies in the savings jar!

Thank you again so much for your help. If by chance I do get something figured out and it's not my computer, I will try to remember to come back and post about it. Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #27
Crent

just thought of something; could these read/write errors be caused by anti-virus scanning software? as its scanning the files transferred and not allowing calibre to access them??
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crent View Post
just thought of something; could these read/write errors be caused by anti-virus scanning software? as its scanning the files transferred and not allowing calibre to access them??
Not a bad idea: It could be messing up the timing or overloading the USB I/O

Exclude your Devices drive letter and See , (the Exclude is usually on the active /realtime scan configuration preference.

you can always remove the exclude if you don't know where your Kobo may be visiting
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #29
Crent

here's an update; after having to re- install windows and everything and between the new kobo firmware update everything is just going smoothly.. managed to sideload approx 300+ books

go figure
Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
Crent

spoke too soon: got this error with latest version of calibre

calibre, version 0.8.44
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 22] Invalid argument

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 339, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 335, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 818, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 387, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 386, in write_prefix
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\json_codec.p y", line 120, in encode_to_file
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

Last edited by Crent; 03-24-2012 at 01:37 PM.