Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
looking for christmas stories - long short stories or novellas

i guess i'm in the grip of the season - i read Christmas at Harrington's, and now i'm in the mood for more heartwarming christmas tales without needless tension but with some smiles and a happy ending. i tried a few recent freebies, including Silver Bells (didn't like the relationships - i felt they were disconnected and i felt disconnected from the characters), and Santa's Christmas Eve Blues, which was cute and funny, had a little of what i'm looking for.

i don't want dying relatives, alzheimers, no drug addiction, battles of the sexes or anything where characters butt heads to create needless tension. no very insurmountable odds - i want a story like comfort food, where there are problems to surmount, but nothing drastic. not looking for a focus on romance or erotica, although a gentle romance that isn't the only focus could work.

subtle magic or christmas magic is good. people coming together is good, rediscovering christmas or redemption. character development is good.

i want to feel happy or uplifted when i finish reading these, to feel the magic of the season. sentimental can be okay, but sweet and syrupy not so much.

anyone got some suggestions for me?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I am currently reading Miracle and Other Christmas Stories by Connie Willis and loving it. In fact, I also own the paperback which I read a couple of years ago and bought it again for my Kindle.

In the foreword, Connie Willis says that a Christmas story has to have a happy ending, so you won't find any of the things you want to avoid.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i was thinking about that one. thanks - i'll give it a try
Old 12-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
"The Gift of the Magi" always brings a tear to my eye, no matter how many times I read it. The archetypal Christmas story.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
All Seated on the Ground by Connie Willis is my favorite SF Christmas short story. Also Delphi Classics has a collection of Public Domain Christmas stories. I think it's free if you buy one of their other books.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Delphi Classic's Christmas Collection II is free (no purchase required): http://delphiclassics.com/
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Don't forget the Dickens classic Christmas Stories (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17228) and Christmas Books (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17198) available here in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library . Classic but timely reads, prepared by our own HarryT!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
The Christmas Bus (same author as Christmas at Harrington's)

Wishin’ and Hopin’

Mrs. Miracle

Debbie Macomber writes lots of upbeat, light Christmas stories.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #9
manou
Grand Seamstress
manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, iPhone, iPad
Terry Pratchett's Hogfather
http://www.amazon.com/Hogfather-Disc...erry+pratchett
manou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
All Seated on the Ground by Connie Willis is my favorite SF Christmas short story.
Oh yes! Also Just Like the Ones I Used to Know by the same author if you can find it. It has been free for years at Asimov's, but apparently it is no longer.

I also second the recommendation for Hogfather, it is my favorite Pratchett book.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #11
basschick
Wizard

isn't the hogfather longer than a novella? i'll check it out but right now i'm looking for quick reads to work around our mad holiday schedule - say 40,000 words or less, could stretch a little longer for the right story or book.

thanks for the suggestions, all - i'm looking into 'em all
Old 12-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
It's only a story, not a novella, but Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory is my all time favorite Christmas read. There are two films of it - if you're interested see the original TV production with Geraldine Page. I haven't seen the later version with Patty Duke, but I really don't want to. Page is just so perfect in that first one.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #13
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
isn't the hogfather longer than a novella?
Oops, sorry. Of course this is a novel, not a novella or a novelette.

I forgot to mention Connie Willis's Christmas story from 2011: All About Emily. I think this is available as an ebook from Subterranean now. It was last year in Asimov's. I enjoyed that one, too.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
The Santa Shop

Freebie on Amazon.com but a really good, heartwarming story.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote