Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Do I want a Nook Color?

It seems I have lost my PRS-650 which I loved a lot. As a result I've been forced to use my iPad for my reading. I don't like how big it is and how crappy the book organization/browsing is, but I realize I read so much at night that the backlight is a huge plus.

I was thinking of getting the Nook Color to have something backlit yet smaller and easier to hold. I went to B&N today to see one, but it was a waste of time. The one I saw only hade 2 children's books loaded onto it, and the clerk didn't know anything. I asked about organizing my books and he proudly showed me how you can click on a book and put it on a certain shelf. When I mentioned I have 2500 books already painstakingly organized with tags, series data, etc. in calibre and I'd like to sideload them all and have them automatically organized he had no clue what I was talking about.

I see calibre has a Nook Color plug-in so I assume it will communicate with it no problem. However, will my books be organized via my tags/series info? Or will I just have a random list of 2500 books?

Thanks for any advice.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Hi,

The stock library shelves do not recognize calibre tags. You will have to manually place each book onto a shelf one by one on the device.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Since no one wants my info, info gone!

Last edited by jedifarfy; 01-18-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: No one wanted info
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read the referenced thread but it seemed all about making the covers show up. I don't care a bit about the covers—I want my books to be able to be organized by 1) Author, 2) Title, 3) Date Added, 4) Date Last Read and 5) Series/Tags.

My Sony did all this right off the bat using the metadata info I added in calibre. This is the functionality I'm looking for in the Nook Color. My iPad does 1, 2 and 5, although it does them crappily.

Do I just want to buy a new Sony (and a new Oberon cover...) and be stuck using a light at night? Or is the Nook Color a possibility for this?

-Marcy
Old 01-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I don't know why you were given that thread info. As I stated, the NOOKcolor doesn't recognize calibre tags in any shape or form. You can create shelves and give them any name you want, but you will have to long press on each book cover and move it to the shelf. Or you can select a shelf (after naming it) and go through each of your books, one by one, selecting books to add to the shelf. You must repeat the process for each shelf you create.

I rooted my device, so I don't make use of the stock library anymore because it doesn't recognize calibre tags. The stock device will not meet your expectations.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
you can do all of these things, if you root your Nookcolor and install Aldiko pro as your reader rather than the stock reader that comes with the NC.

http://www.aldiko.com/features.html
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #7
Marcy
Guru

It sounds like I'd be better off waiting for the next generation of Android tablets that are supposed to be coming out soon.

I tried going back to my Pocketbook 360, but after my PRS-650 it just didn't cut it anymore. How easily we get spoiled! Maybe my reader will turn up soon.

-Marcy
Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
It sounds like I'd be better off waiting for the next generation of Android tablets that are supposed to be coming out soon.
And you'll pay dearly for them. The Nook Color's biggest selling point is that it only costs $250. That's half the price that other quality tablets are selling for.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
What he said.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
you can do all of these things, if you root your Nookcolor and install Aldiko pro as your reader rather than the stock reader that comes with the NC.

http://www.aldiko.com/features.html
aldiko used to be my favorite but i've since changed to fbreader. they've had a ui overhaul and 1 ups aldiko by recognizing series tags also. no drm though.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
Marcy
Guru

If you root the Nook Color, is it "unrootable" if you decide it isn't for you and want to return it?

I found my PRS-650 today (yeah!) so had decided against it, but I do like all the children's books available. If rooted, is the Nook reading app still available for those books? Are the children's books epubs that I can de-drm so I actually own them?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
If you root the Nook Color, is it "unrootable" if you decide it isn't for you and want to return it?
It can be undone.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It can be undone.
Are there easy to follow directions online to undo?

If I root it, can I still use the B&N book app for reading the children's books? Are the children's books epubs?

Thanks,
Marcy
Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #14
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Quote:
Are there easy to follow directions online to undo?
Yes.
Quote:
If I root it, can I still use the B&N book app for reading the children's books? Are the children's books epubs?
Yes. The only functionality you lose is the "read in store" capability and potentially you lose access to those in-store coupons. As for ePubs? Do you mean the children's books you buy through B&N?
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #15
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegS View Post
Yes.

Yes. The only functionality you lose is the "read in store" capability and potentially you lose access to those in-store coupons. As for ePubs? Do you mean the children's books you buy through B&N?
Yes, those books.