Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #46
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Loving it.

I've got so many books on my too read list that it's not funny, and I'm considering getting a "Webscriptions.net" account and signing up for a few months of their things.

Just so much to read..
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #47
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
[Stands Up] Hello. My name is 'Oh, Why Not'. I've been having an affair with my PRS500 for over a year now. I have to admit, though, I still enjoy a pbook several times a month. I know I won't change. Help.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #48
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, here's my $.02

I bought both the Kindle and the Sony 505 about a month ago to test them concurrently and then decide which to keep. If you're interested in the specifics of my experience, you can search my old threads and see my pros and cons.

Suffice to say, I bought the Sony after giving them both a workout. I had some issues when I first decided to keep the Sony--several hours, in fact, of sweating and swearing while trying to figure out the conversion to .lrf from .lit using ConvertLit and Calibre was the most major hurdle. Now that I've got that totally under control, I've been able to enjoy the 505 immensely.

And, since I bought the Sony, I've noticed some major changes in my reading habits as a result, such as:

1) I'm reading a LOT more. The small size and easy portability of the Sony make it much more likely that I'll carry it with me and read everywhere
2) I'm discovering a lot of new authors (like Cory Doctorow, for example. I probably would never heard of him were it not for this board, and my Sony).
3) I don't worry anymore about ruining a book by reading in the bathtub. I put the Sony in a quart size freezer Ziploc, get in the tub, and it's like Calgon, take me away! (TMI, I know)
4) My house isn't being overrun by books. I love pbooks, but I've downloaded 50 books for the Sony since I've had it, and I don't even know where I'd put all those books if they were pbooks. So I'm willing to spend more on books knowing I'm not going to have to buy another bookcase along with them.

So in short, I love my Sony. While it would be a bit of an overstatement to say it's revolutionized my reading experience, it has certainly enhanced and revitalized it!

Joanne
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #49
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
! I would type more but i'm too busy reading 'Around The World In Eighty Days' on my reader at the same time i'm perusing this site AND watching the Simpsons so I cant really type more...
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #50
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
! I would type more but i'm too busy reading 'Around The World In Eighty Days' on my reader at the same time i'm perusing this site AND watching the Simpsons so I cant really type more...
I know exactly what you mean, Roy. I'd like to say more, but I've got to go.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
3) I don't worry anymore about ruining a book by reading in the bathtub. I put the Sony in a quart size freezer Ziploc, get in the tub, and it's like Calgon, take me away! (TMI, I know)
Photos please. Feel free to make one your avatar.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #52
beatonl
beatonl doesn't litterbeatonl doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Hi - My name is Lindsay and I love my Sony Reader.

I got my 505 in January after standing behind a guy at the coffee stand with a 500 and thinking to myself "I have to have one of those!". Since I live in Sydney it took me a week or two to figure out what it was, and then how to get my hands on one.

Like most people on this thread I've found it's changed the way I read for the better. When I was younger I was a voracious reader but as I got older I slowed down, as carrying enough books around with me was a pain.

Thanks to my Sony, I buy more books, because I don't have to worry about storage, I read more books, because I can take them with me, and I'm discovering authors I wouldn't have normally read.

I love my Sony, and when it finally shuffles off this mortal coil I'll be getting a new one.
beatonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #53
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
I purchased the Sony Reader 505 and the Kindle - and kept both! I was unable to part with either one. I find the 505 easier and less bulky to tote around in my purse and basically easier navigation when not reading at home. If I were forced to give one up - well, let's just say they'd have to kill me and pry them both out of my cold, dead hands!

True confession - I still buy pback books, although not nearly as many!

What????? A girl can't have it all???
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #54
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNerd View Post
True confession - I still buy pback books, although not nearly as many!
Same here but a lot a lot less.
Just received the last HP book of a deluxe collection UK edition and yesterday ordered HP2 deluxe edition from amazon.com American edition.
Next one will be Glen Cook - probably the last book of The Dread Empire.
Next The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition by Rowling.
Next....no idea. in 2009 a new book of Malazan world, A Dance with Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire), maybe The Judging Eye by Scott Bakker
I think that's it for 2009. Probably a one or two collector edition books of The Hobbit
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #55
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Haven't used it in months

I used my prs500 a lot when I first got it, until I read all there was that interested me in the public domain. Now all I'm interested in is copyrighted material, so I would have to buy the books if I wanted to read them on the Sony Reader. I have a great public library at my disposal that can get any book I'm interested in, on PAPER, and for FREE. So why would I buy an electronic book when I can read it for free, with unbeatable contrast, eternal battery life, and a robust construction?

I have come to the conclusion that ebooks are good, but libraries are way better.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #56
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think you might be missing the point of this thread there, balok.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #57
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I think you might be missing the point of this thread there, balok.
Let's just say that I'm trying to bring back all you heretics to the fold... you have gone astray! Come back and experience the delights of paper.

Is there a thread for people who have abandoned their gadgets for more traditional technology?
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #58
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
Is there a thread for people who have abandoned their gadgets for more traditional technology?
If there is not, then you are welcome to start one
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
Considering this whole web site is about ebooks and the devices used to read them on, I don't see how a thread on reading pbooks would apply to the web site. There are plenty of web sites around if you just want to talk about books and reading.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #60
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh, p-books are still mobile.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote