Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #61
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
If note taking and annotation functioned correctly this device would be useful to almost everyone who wants to learn something as note taking comes much more naturally to humans than typing and helps you process information in a better way.

I just can't recommend the device to other people because of these bugs and i think many people feel the same way. The happy customer is, for me, the most powerful advertisement tool there is.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #62
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Well, I would recommend it, as notetaking and annotation mostly work for me and whatever flaws it has, M92 is the best device in its class, IMO.

But you are missing the point when focusing on personal recommendation as a powerful form of advertisement. No matter how much you recommend them, 9,7 inch readers will remain a niche market while in this price range and within the constraints of this technology (BW e-ink). If the market is to expand, we should either see a significant price drop or significant improvement in the screen technology (color, responsiveness, etc.).

Other things being equal, your word of mouth advertisement of an Onyx with a perfected firmware will lead only to marginal expansion in the market (if any at all), not to a breakthrough.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #63
onyxuser
onyxuser began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Carta
http://onyx.en.alibaba.com/product/7...HD_screen.html
onyxuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #64
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I will buy the next version if it uses Android, since I am so much more satisfied with Android software such as GoldenDict on my Sony PRS-T1 than with the antiquated, clumsy dictionary software used on Chinese readers.
From the hardware point of view, I will buy it if it offers a front-light that can be set very low like on the new Kobo Aura HD, and of course the highest possible definition is a must since I tried the latest Ipad, which offers gorgeous text.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #65
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
It's so funny that some people refer to Onyx Boox as
Quote:
Chinese readers
Everything is "Made in China"
Talking about Onyx Boox as a chinese reader is somehow denigrating.
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #66
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydog View Post
It's so funny that some people refer to Onyx Boox as .
Everything is "Made in China"
Talking about Onyx Boox as a chinese reader is somehow denigrating.
I previously owned a Hanlin reader and both the software and hardware were buggy, thus making it very frustrating to use.
The last Chinese tourists I talked with told me themselves that their main goal was to increase the quality of the products their engineers design because they themselves think that they are not good.
Japanese do it better !
Old 05-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #67
Lbooker
Addict

One annoying thing I noticed watching videos of the M92 : it is noisy to operate !
Buttons are noisy. Using the pen is noisy.
I want a device that I can use noiselessly with my fingers on the screen, like my Sony, like the Kindle, the Nook, the Kobo, the Ipad,...

Last edited by Lbooker; 05-12-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #68
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
One annoying I noticed watching videos of the M92 : it is noisy to operate !
Buttons are noisy. Using the pen is noisy.
I want a device that I can use noiselessly with my fingers on the screen, like my Sony, like the Kindle, the Nook, the Kobo, the Ipad,...
You are making assumptions, it doesn't feel noisy at all.
Using pen isn't noisy (i have put a screen-guard, on bare screen it could have some frictional noise), buttons make a tiny noise (i hadn't noticed it till now, i checked it after reading your post). To me it is completely silent

Last edited by Feher; 05-12-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #69
Lbooker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
You are making assumptions, it doesn't feel noisy at all.
Using pen isn't noisy (i have put a screen-guard, on bare screen it could have some frictional noise), buttons make a tiny noise (i hadn't noticed it till now, i checked it after reading your post). To me it is completely silent
Maybe the noise was exaggerated by the proximity of the camera to the M92.
Still, I want a 100% noiseless device. Buying a slightly noisy reader would be a step backward from the point of "view" of my ears.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #70
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Well, m92 is very close to noiseless in my opinion. It does not make more noise than tapping by finger on tablet screen. The tapping does make some noise, as well as turning page in paper book.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #71
Lbooker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Well, m92 is very close to noiseless in my opinion. It does not make more noise than tapping by finger on tablet screen. The tapping does make some noise, as well as turning page in paper book.
On my PRS-T1, i barely have to touch the corner of a page to go to the next page. It is absolutely silent. And no need to double tap anything. To activate the dictionary, I just let the tip of my finger on a word for two seconds.
The contact of a hard plastic pencil on the screen can not easily be as silent as that of my smooth skin. I know I did not dream all those clicking sounds on the various M92 videos on youtube.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #72
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I agree with Lbooker as far as writing with the stylus is concerned: I use the M92 to take notes in meetings and the noise does bother me. I understand that Onyx didn't want to add another touch layer in addition to wacom (the device is too expensive already), but they certainly could have included a better stylus. I think the stylus is the culprit, as both my other wacom tablets (Asus EeeNote, Irex Iliad) are much quieter to write on. (The stili which came with those devices, as well as the Gateway stylus I have, are much nicer and more precise than the Onyx stylus, too, because the tips don't move as much.) Unfortunately those pens don't work with the M92, and I haven't found one that does.

On the other hand, the noise of the buttons doesn't bother me - especially as you can set the „joystick" to turn pages, which is completely silent.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #73
Lbooker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I agree with Lbooker as far as writing with the stylus is concerned: I use the M92 to take notes in meetings and the noise does bother me. I understand that Onyx didn't want to add another touch layer in addition to wacom (the device is too expensive already), but they certainly could have included a better stylus. I think the stylus is the culprit, as both my other wacom tablets (Asus EeeNote, Irex Iliad) are much quieter to write on. (The stili which came with those devices, as well as the Gateway stylus I have, are much nicer and more precise than the Onyx stylus, too, because the tips don't move as much.) Unfortunately those pens don't work with the M92, and I haven't found one that does.

On the other hand, the noise of the buttons doesn't bother me - especially as you can set the „joystick" to turn pages, which is completely silent.
Good to know about the silent joystick !
I would not bother a more expensive device if it were significantly better !
Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #74
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Speaking about the future of the M92: Sony has a prototype 13.3 inch reader, with stylus and all.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/13/s...-paper-tablet/

I guess it's not the best place to post this but I thought it'd be interesting for M92 users
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #75
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
Speaking about the future of the M92: Sony has a prototype 13.3 inch reader, with stylus and all.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/13/s...-paper-tablet/

I guess it's not the best place to post this but I thought it'd be interesting for M92 users
Ha! I was just about to post this, but iampiti was quicker... Looks like I may have been right about the existence of this market segment after all! I am feeling quite clever right now, please let me enjoy it for a minute... Thank you
A couple of interesting points: having read the story in several sources, it's not clear whether the screen, or the whole device will be A4 size. I hope it's the latter.
Even more interesting is the screen tech. I was not aware of the feasibility of a flexible touchscreen, but handwriting on top of that?! I hope it will be a proper wacom-type solution with palm rejection, not the T1-style touchscreen that you're welcome to write on, as long as you don't touch it with your hand. That may be possible (not comfortable) on 6 inches, but pretty much impossible on anything larger.
I am really looking forward to this device - it's the closest I have seen to the NoteSlate concept. We will have to see the price of course, and whether they will sell to consumers. I would hate to have to open a school in Tokyo just to get my hands on one
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote