Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Lightbulb Let's compare the different firmware versions

I would like to compare the fixes and "brakes" of each version of the firmware (starting from build 538) and compile them in a table, easy to read. Since I don't have a Cybook, I would like users to post here, in list form, the pros and cons of each version they experienced.

I think this could be useful for everyone, as I noticed that people are undecided about which version should they upgrade (or roll back) to.

Collected information so far:

-> 538
+ ...
+ ...

-> 674
+ Page turn button more responsive
+ ...

-> 685
+ Event buffer (slicker lookup times, etc)
+ Perfect bookmark memory
+ Perfect memory of last page read
- Reduced battery life (tests are confirming this)
- Worse PDF support (compared to 674, how about 538?)
- Page turn button less responsive

Last edited by Over; 06-11-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's little point in discussing the original firmware 476 since, to the best of my knowledge, that cannot be "rolled back" to, and only the very oldest Gen3's have it.

There's a very comprehensive discussion of what was fixed between 476 and 538 (the version which most "First Generation Hardware" Gen3's have) here.

The "Second Generation Hardware" (ie 512MB RAM, improved nav button) Gen3's ship with firmware version 674. That appears to be identical in fuctionality to the "upgrade" version, 685, other than displaying the firmware version as "1.0" rather than "1.1". Once you reflash a "2nd gen" machine to 685, I don't believe there's any way to return it to v674.

Really, therefore, the only question that arises is for owners of "1st gen" Gen3's - should they reflash to firmware 685 or not? Personally I found it a minor, but worthwhile, upgrade, but I don't use PDFs (which appear to have been rather "broken" in the upgrade).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Really, therefore, the only question that arises is for owners of "1st gen" Gen3's - should they reflash to firmware 685 or not? Personally I found it a minor, but worthwhile, upgrade, but I don't use PDFs (which appear to have been rather "broken" in the upgrade).
That was my initial thought, but after a few weeks with 685 I rolled back to 538 due to significantly lower battery life.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
There's little point in discussing the original firmware 476 since, to the best of my knowledge, that cannot be "rolled back" to, and only the very oldest Gen3's have it.

There's a very comprehensive discussion of what was fixed between 476 and 538 (the version which most "First Generation Hardware" Gen3's have) here.

The "Second Generation Hardware" (ie 512MB RAM, improved nav button) Gen3's ship with firmware version 674. That appears to be identical in fuctionality to the "upgrade" version, 685, other than displaying the firmware version as "1.0" rather than "1.1". Once you reflash a "2nd gen" machine to 685, I don't believe there's any way to return it to v674.

HA! *I* can roll back all the way to Version 0.98! Wouldn't *want* to, but I could. (Yes, I kept all my update zip files.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
That was my initial thought, but after a few weeks with 685 I rolled back to 538 due to significantly lower battery life.
I don't know if the "2nd gen hardware" suffers from this issue or not. I find, with mine, that connecting to a PC for 10 minutes every day or so is sufficient to keep the battery meter pegged at 100%, just like it was with my original Gen3.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I don't know if the "2nd gen hardware" suffers from this issue or not. I find, with mine, that connecting to a PC for 10 minutes every day or so is sufficient to keep the battery meter pegged at 100%, just like it was with my original Gen3.
So why do you not test it so you can be more accurate in your statements?
I am rather curious about the result.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:

Harry T I have to disagree a little here.

I just got one of the new Gen3's and updating from 674 to 684 does affect a few things, but most importantly PDF support. It stops reading a lot of PDF's that worked under V674.

Can't comment on the battery life as I ended up upgrading the firmware after a few hours of usage, and am currently getting to about 50% after a day and half of usage. As I haven't had it for long, haven't been able to run any proper tests yet.

From What I understand, people having problems with the current firm ware can contact Bookeen to get access to v538.

So the matrix might help newbies like me make a decision as to stick with the shipping version, upgrade or request the older firmware depending upon what features are key to them.

Personally, while the majority of my reading is text and html files,I do need the ability to read a few pdf's of newsletters I get. So I am on the fence as to whether to contact Bookeen about the older firmware.

If it was possible to easy to compare the three, it would make the decision a lot more easier.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
So why do you not test it so you can be more accurate in your statements?
I am rather curious about the result.
Because I couldn't bear not reading on it for two days (or whatever).

What I will do is leave it on overnight - that should give some indication, at least.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

-> 538

-> 674

-> 685
- Reduced battery life

Last edited by Over; 06-08-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But, on the plus side, the event buffering in 685 makes things like dictionary lookup a lot "slicker". Given that the 10 minutes a day or so that I have my Gen3 connected to my PC keeps it fully charged, personally I'm not bothered about whether the battery would last 2 days or 4 days if I left it on continually, because I never do.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:36 AM   #11
Over
Wizard

-> 538

-> 674

-> 685
+ Event buffer (slicker lookup times, etc)
- Reduced battery life

(When we have enough elements, I'll make a table/matrix. Please, keep contributing. )

Last edited by Over; 06-08-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is the "584" in your list above an error? The sequence of "released" firmware versions was:

476 -> 538 -> 674 -> 685.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #13
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Is the "584" in your list above an error? The sequence of "released" firmware versions was:

476 -> 538 -> 674 -> 685.
It's an error. Let's see if I can edit the first post, instead of making new posts...

Edit: edited, I'll keep updating the first post. It would be nice if a moderator could edit the title, deleting the word "problems".

Last edited by Over; 06-08-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Done.

538 fixed many bugs, including:

File dates on library screen shown 1 month too early.
Random crashes or hangups when looking up some words in certain dictionaries.
Failure to find some words in certain dictionaries.
Crash if the cover image of a Mobi book was too large.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #15
Over
Wizard

Since we are comparing versions 538 and above, I think we should list just the differences between those versions. For example, if a bug fixed in 538 is also fixed in 674 and 685's, then there's no need to list it.

I've assumed true what you said: "There's little point in discussing the original firmware 476 since, to the best of my knowledge, that cannot be "rolled back" to, and only the very oldest Gen3's have it."

Or are those fixes bugged again in later versions?