Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #61
CraigO
CraigO began at the beginning.

Device: none
Chromebook -> eReader?

I wonder if anyone can help me with this ...

my mother has a chromebook as her only computer. she would like to get an ereader that she can use at home and on holiday and ideally be able to download ebooks from her library (using ePub format).

Is it possible to download ebooks onto a chromebook (say, into google drive, or USB stick), then connect an ereader to the chromebook and upload the book?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
-Craig.
---
CraigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #62
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
With the availability of Overdrive for Chromebook it *might* be possible.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #63
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If your library is in the US, then you could get a Kindle. Is there any reason it *must* be EPUB?

Kindle books can be checked out from OverDrive and redirected to a loan redemption page on amazon.com, where it gets added to your account and then you can sync from the Kindle.

Unfortunately, OverDrive only offers Kindle as a checkout option in the US.

Failing that, what PeterT said might work. Depends on how the OverDrive Chrome app works.

I have a nasty suspicion it would store the books in a heavily obfuscated Chrome cache. Also, you'd need to log into the same Adobe ID on the app and the ereader -- but I believe OverDrive recently took steps to make you use an OverDrive login which masks an Adobe ID???
I could be wrong -- I don't use it myself.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #64
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Onyx Boox T68 has google play store so you can install overdrive app and download ebooks on it directly from your library. I dont think she will be able to download and transfer books from her chromebook to reader. But she can borrow a book in the overdrive app on her chromebook and then it should be available to her in the T68 reader.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:26 AM   #65
CraigO
CraigO began at the beginning.

Device: none
Chromebook -> Ereader

Many thanks for all the helpful information - this is great!

My mother is UK based and her local, public library uses the epub format (only).

I will def look further into the overdrive app and the t68 book.

Thanks again for pointing me in the direction.

All the best,
Craig.
---
CraigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert