Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Have Sony PRS-T1, considering Kobo Glo?

Hi,

I bought a Kobo Touch about 6 months ago, but took it back after two days, as it connected to my wifi fine on day one, but on the second day it just refused to connect. I decided to pay the extra and get the Sony PRS-T1. I do really like the Sony, but there are a few minor issues, and the obvious lack of a built in light.
Firstly, I am never going to buy anything from the Sony store (I'm in the UK). The selection is appalling and the prices are way too high. I purchase most of my books through Kobo anyway, so obviously a Kobo device would be better in this respect.
Secondly, every so often, the reader app kind of messes up, in that it won't let me change the font size or style or any formatting at all, until I restart the device. Not a huge problem, but a bit irritating.
Thirdly, my room is not very well lit, and I do sometimes struggle to read from the Sony, even though I have 20/20 vision. I can read from paper fine, so I am guessing that the problem is the contrast rather than the light in this situation? When I just have my lamp on, unless I am in a specific position, it is very hard to read, which obviously would be solved by a built in light. Also, after waking the device from sleep, or sometimes just opening a menu, the text underneath the menu or in random spots goes even paler. Also very irritating. It's fine once I turn the page.

I like the degree of customisation on the Kobo, with the advanced font settings etc. Unlike some people, I do actually also like the recommendations that show up, because I do find them interesting and I am always looking for new books! The light is obviously a big bonus, and I think I'd find it very useful.

I guess my main issue is that I have only had my Sony for 6 months, so can I really justify buying the Kobo Glo? If anyone has any opinions, I'd really appreciate it if you shared them with me.

Finally, if I were to go with the Glo, does anyone know where I could trade in or even sell the Sony in the UK other than eBay (I'm a bit wary of eBay at the moment after having been scammed a number of times!)?

Thanks so much, sorry for the ridiculously long post!
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Jez_terr
Jez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I have a PRS-T1, and made the decision to get a Kobo Glo. I've now passed my Sony to another family member and kept the Glo.

All the books I had on my Sony transferred easily. I've never used the Sony store either, and have books from a variety of sources and book sellers.

My main decision to go for the Glo was the in-built light. Much of my reading is done in bed, and I hated the glare off the Sony cover light and the constant re-positioning of it. I do like the light on the Glo for its even coverage of the screen. It should save me having to make sure I always have a stock of AAA batteries too. I find the screen background on my Glo is slightly whiter than the screen on my Sony, but the difference isn't huge.

I've had no problems with the fonts on the Glo. I do miss the definite sizing on the Sony -the graduations on the PRS-T1 make it obvious what size you'll get when you touch the screen, as opposed to the sliding scales on the Kobo. The Glo does seem to take a tiny bit longer than the Sony to change the fonts. I've not noticed any issues with the font rendering on the Kobo - all the words seem a uniform colour and 'thickness'.

I do miss the dictionaries on the PRS-T1. The English dictionary that comes on the Glo isn't terribly comprehensive.

The screen texture of the Glo is 'rougher' than the smooth glass of the Sony, but it also seems to be less reflective. I hate the feel of the Glo screen that much I've taken to tapping the screen rather than the swiping I did on the PRS-T1.

I also miss the ability to download library books straight onto the Glo. I read those a lot, and to have to make sure I connect up to ADE before reading will be a minor irritation.

Overall, I like the Glo very much. It's got some quirks that I'll need to get used to, but I'm happy with it.
Jez_terr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you for your reply. Most of the negatives you listed would probably not be too bothersome for me. I tend to have my fonts pretty small, as large fonts irritate me for some reason, and I actually find the Sony to still have some quirks when resizing, and I can never quite get exactly the right size!

I may miss the ease of downloading library books, but I haven't downloaded any in quite a while, so maybe not as much as I'd expect. Plus I don't know my library card number/pin, it's stored on my computer, so I have to go to it anyway most of the time! And browsing is never easy on an e-ink device.

Dictionaries not really a problem, I tend to even forget that ereaders have them! I'm intrigued about the screen though! May have to have a look at one first. Are you in the UK? Bought from WHSmith? My local one is teeny-tiny, so I'm a bit concerned as to whether they have any in stock/demo models. Don't really want to buy without looking.

Thanks again!
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If you're unsure about upgrading so soon after buying the T1, why not just wait for at least another couple of months for more feedback on the Glo. That way you'll have more idea about it's good and bad points, they might be onto a second batch of them (so possibly less chance of getting one with any issues?) and your Sony will be that little bit older so you don't feel so bad about getting rid of it!

Also, there's more chance of your local WH Smith having a demo model in if you wait for a while. I've visited two stores in the first week of it's release, both have contacted head office about getting a demo model but have no idea when (or even if) they'll get one. The bigger shop had the older Touch, WiFi and Vox demo models out on display, but Glos and Minis on sale.

As for selling it, well there is the flea-market here but for the widest audience you can't really beat ebay. You could always try selling it on gumtree first, and if you get no takers, then fall back on ebay.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote