Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
Tysdaddy
Tysdaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Considering Sony Reader
So, is this thing worth it?

I am new on this forum and am considering picking up the Sony Reader after seeing it on display at Borders. I am a bit concerned since, as I search the Connect site, I don't see many of my favorite authors available. No Pynchon. No Yann Martel. No Andre Dubus. Interesting . . .

Is this thing worth the hefty price tag?

Will I kick myself after a few weeks of frustration?

And I suppose it's too late to get the $50.

As I shared in another post, I plan to use this little gadget to take along some D&D books I have in .pdf format to gaming sessions. Is the rasterfarian program the best route for this type of thing?

I welcome any and all comments. I've enjoyed reading through some stuff on this forum and look forward to learning more.
Tysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
Well, I think it was worth it, but I already have books to read. I'm willing to wait for the bookstore because frankly this is the biggest push ebooks have ever had.

If you're interested mainly in PDF, I'd wait for the 2nd generation devices or perhaps for an A4 size reader. PDFs are not user-friendly yet, but we have a few developers really working on that.

Overall I am very happy with the device, but it does what I want it to. Read TXT, RTF and occasional PDFs. Also it does manga very well, but I haven't really tried to seriously download any manga that I would read.
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This thread might be helpful to you too.

But in direct answer to your question, I think it's worth it if you can find enough use and content for it (doesn't have to be from Connect, you know) to satisfy you, and if you like the way it works. For the former, you've probably already started looking, and for the latter, you'll probably have to find a place where you can play with it some to get an idea.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Tysdaddy

Here's an additional question:

Is the reader capable of looking at documents that include links, and can you follow those links within the reader to other properly-formatted pages?

For example, since part of the reason I want one is for gaming, can something like this be put on there in RTF and used sufficiently and with little hassle:

http://systemreferencedocuments.org/...sage/home.html

I know there are other hypertext versions of the SRD available as well.

If this should be its own thread, I'm cool with that.

Thanks all for your words.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

EDIT: Reply moved to this thread.

Last edited by NatCh; 02-01-2007 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Moved reply to new thread
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysdaddy
I am new on this forum and am considering picking up the Sony Reader after seeing it on display at Borders. I am a bit concerned since, as I search the Connect site, I don't see many of my favorite authors available. No Pynchon. No Yann Martel. No Andre Dubus. Interesting . . .

Is this thing worth the hefty price tag?

Will I kick myself after a few weeks of frustration?

And I suppose it's too late to get the $50.

As I shared in another post, I plan to use this little gadget to take along some D&D books I have in .pdf format to gaming sessions. Is the rasterfarian program the best route for this type of thing?

I welcome any and all comments. I've enjoyed reading through some stuff on this forum and look forward to learning more.
BTW Are you Canadian? I did'nt think Yann Martel was known outside of the Provinces. I read "Life of Pi" last week. Talk about a captivating story!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
BACbKA
мокрец
BACbKA began at the beginning.

Device: palm, iliad
What a coincidence! I read it just 2.5 weeks ago! and I'm Israeli (originally from Russia, which got me attracted to your post because of your nick meaning). Amazing book indeed.
BACbKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
For me it was also worth it. However most of what I read is available either in the public domain (in the USA) or consists of material that I format from my own documents to read. While there is a limited "jump" facility available in the Reader through the "Bookmark" feature, it is not suitable IMHO for reference materials. As others have pointed out (either here or in the other thread) a laptop or tablet may be more in line for that function.

For the act of reading however, it is tops.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #9
Tysdaddy

Life of Pi got a bit of a pump in the states when it won the Booker prize. I read it in hardcover prior to that, when hardly anyone knew about it. I buy it for folks who I think will enjoy the story. It's one of my favorite books ever.

And thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:06 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysdaddy
And thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it.
Heh, that's what we do here, Tysdaddy. It'd be pretty pointless (and boring!) if no one ever replied.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #11
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
While there is a limited "jump" facility available in the Reader through the "Bookmark" feature, it is not suitable IMHO for reference materials.
Links work pretty well in the PDF format, as described in the Operation Guide PDF. You can move easily between the hotlinks in PDF files using the joystick, and press the stick in to jump between topics and linked pages.

Details are on Page 3 (when viewed in S size)

Regards,

Matt

Last edited by memobug; 02-06-2007 at 12:08 AM.
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But you can only jump within a document with hyperlinks - not between documents.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I use my Sony reader to read fan fiction and mangas...also some electronic books. For me it's worth it because I love reading and hate finishing my book in the middle of a trip. If you're in another country it's sometimes hard to find english language books. I also like that I can read a 1000 page novel and it's still the same size as a 50 page book. So my e-reader fits rather well in my purse and doesn't take up a ton of space even though I'm now carrying over 200 novels and fan fiction stories.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote