Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
jye
jye began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Help --- Library books

Hi,

I purchased my Kobo last weekend. Yesterday I tried to load books borrowed
from the library to it. Although I have followed the procedure (installing
ADE, authorizing my computer, authorizing my Kobo, drag and drop books) and the same procedure works for my colleague's Kobo, whenever I tried to read the books on my Kobo, I got "The content you are trying to view is locked". I tried to uninstall / reinstall my ADE, de-authorize / re-authorize my
computer / my kobo, I even tried a different PC or a different Adobe ID,
still no luck.

This is very frustrating as I really like Kobo. However, being able to read
library books on it is one of the important benefits. If I can't get it
working, I may have no choice but returning it.

Hopefully someone here will be able to help me. Is it an Adobe thing or is it a Kobo thing? I have been thinking about resetting my Kobo back to factory settings and trying all over again but I am not sure whether I will lose the 100 free books come with Kobo.....

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Do you have your time and date in the Kobo set correctly?
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Dinodoc
Dinodoc began at the beginning.

It may seem an odd question, by chance do the library books you borrowed have apostrophes in their names? This seems to be a leading cause of the content locked message.
Dinodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Jelbee
Jelbee began at the beginning.

Seconded. I was loading up my Kobo with books, and a book with an apostrophe in the title was "locked" until I renamed it.

Last edited by Jelbee; 06-10-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Jelbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
We won't ask where you found an epub copy of a Harry Potter book....
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
jye

Thanks for all the replay.

The library books don't have apostrophes in their names (I tried more than one book). The date and time is set correctly as well.

Do you guys know if I reset my Kobo to factory settings, will I lose the 100 books come with Kobo?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

Quote:
Do you guys know if I reset my Kobo to factory settings, will I lose the 100 books come with Kobo?
absolutely not
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jye View Post
This is very frustrating as I really like Kobo. However, being able to read library books on it is one of the important benefits. If I can't get it working, I may have no choice but returning it.

Hopefully someone here will be able to help me.
I agree that a major benefit of owning the Kobo is the ability to read local library books delivered by Overdrive in ePub format. This has been especially successful for me.

What did Kobo customer / technical support say when you asked them for help? The device does come with a one year warranty.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
jye

Hi,

I did the following and now the problem is resolved:

1) De-authorize both my Kobo and my computer from ADE;

2) Reset Kobo to factory settings;

3) Authorize my computer and my Kobo under a new Adobe account.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
ava0775
ava0775 began at the beginning.

I've downloaded my first library book but unfortunately, I've encountered the font size issue. It's completely unreadable on the device. Is there any way around that? The font resizer program of course doesn't work due to the DRM protection.
ava0775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Ava, I have heard people mention that 'Calibre' a free app will re-calibrate your font for you.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
Mysterio
Mysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheese

In Calibre you can change the font to any size you want. For me I find size 22 about right.
Mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #13
ava0775

Hm... Calibre will change the font in a library book with DRM on it? I have Calibre, I will try it in the morning. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #14
eythian
eythian began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ava0775 View Post
Hm... Calibre will change the font in a library book with DRM on it? I have Calibre, I will try it in the morning. Thanks!
I suspect that it won't.
eythian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
ava0775

I suspected it would not either, which is why I led with Hm.. Tried it this morning and of course it did not work due to the DRM.

I was able to change the file extension to .zip instead of .epub and delete the css stylesheet file, then change the extension back to .epub. This was all done on a duplicate copy of the original .epub file from the library. I then moved the edited file directly onto my Kobo through Windows Explorer. Works perfectly now. Of course, I lost two days in my 14 day borrowing limit trying to figure this out, which is rather annoying.